What's up with that?

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

What's up with that?

Postby oleman » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:17 pm

In our house band gig at a fairly upscale bar, my partner and I play our butts off. Sometimes the patrons are really groovin, tappin their feets, head bobbin and enjoying what we do and hang around for a set or two.
Then get up and pass the tip jar by like it didn't even exist. I know they saw it cause it's big with THANKS written of it. We play for drinks, tips and just a little moola from the cash register.
I always tip my fellow musicians even if I don't like their stuff; seems like common courtesy to me. Am I expecting too much?

It's the same at a BBQ joint gig we occasionally play at. What are your experiences.

Thanks for letting me share!
oleman
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:34 pm

I'm with you on the tipping thing. Last night I gave $10 to a lady Christian singer who overstayed her time by half, got too preachy, and I'm not even really fond of contemporary Christian music.
ricochet
Regular

Postby dcblues » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:14 pm

I used to play in a duo at a place where musicians worked for tips. We did best when once or twice a night the signer/guitarist would send me out with the tip jar in one hand and a harp in the other. I would play a little at each table and people would usually tip well. Good way to make tips, but I felt a little like an organ grinder's monkey. :)
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jaybee » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:50 pm

do NOT just pass a tip jar around, have a girlfriend or girl friend, or even a friendly female relative of the bartender go around with it. I used to do some busking in my younger years and I even went as far as paying commission to girls if they wanted to go around with the tip jar. I could keep the music going AND there was a friendly girl with a big smile asking for a tip... always worked 8)
jaybee
Regular

Postby savage » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:27 pm

thats a good idea... ill have to keep that one in mind, thanks jaybee

...just gotta be sure she dont take any money from the jar
savage
Regular

Postby oleman » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:44 pm

Would it be inappropriate for us to fall to our knees and beg after every set.
Maybe a battery operated tip jar that waves the flag and plays a rousing Sousa march, just to bring attention to itself.

Or lock the entrance and charge the opposite of a cover charge.

A pistol next to the tip jar might send a message.
oleman
Regular

Postby bosco » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:18 pm

The few times we just put a tip jar "out", it was met with minimal response, usually just $5.00 or $10.00 tops.

If it won't piss off the bar, mention several times a set that it is a donated performance and some gas money and new guitar strings would be appreciated. We did that at a festival we played for free last year and wound up with over $25.00 in a guitar case.

I think that if you aren't on a street corner or don't bring it to their attention, most patrons assume you are being paid by the bar. The majority of people also incorrectly assume entertainers are well paid, and they were years ago before D.J.s and Karaoke undercut the market. People are usually astonished when I tell them how little we actually are paid and what local scale is.

Oh yeah...the perky babe passing the jar around is still the best method.

:wink:

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby warren » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:59 am

i think you are right....i bet most people assume you are making good bucks for the gig. Not sure what the best way would be let people know the real deal though.

ww
warren
Regular

Postby jaybee » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:52 am

savage wrote:thats a good idea... ill have to keep that one in mind, thanks jaybee

...just gotta be sure she dont take any money from the jar

:roll: do I have to think of EVERYTHING? 8)
the less clothes she wears, the less places to hide any money :wink: 8)

or ypu could use the old Irish trick, that gave passing the jar the name of "bottleing": get an empty bottle (or empty a bottle :wink: ), catch a fly and put it in the bottle, the one passing the tip jar holds the jar in one hand, the bottle in the other, thumb closing it. If the fly is not in the bottle when (s)he comes back, (s)he's had his/her hand in the jar! :shock:
jaybee
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:28 pm

In my experience most patrons tend to assume that the bands fee directly proportional to the inflated bar prices. The more you buy for a poorly mixed, bottom-shelf cocktail the more they think that band is taking home. If only they knew.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby fat paul » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:25 am

I rember when I first moved to Albuquerque I was bartending, the tips were not as good as other places I lived. NM is a very poor state
fat paul
fat paul
Regular

Postby grady » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:15 am

Never play just for Tips.

always get a flat fee.

The last time I played for tips was in Ricochet's Hometown.

If it weren't for him and his friend, I wouldn't have left there with anything at all.

They were very kind and generous and I appreciate that.
Of course, just having the pleasure of meeting Ric in Person was worth the drive to Bristol.
Not to mention, I got to see his Vette...LOL !!

I always put something in the Tip jar at other people's shows.
grady
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:23 am

grady wrote:The last time I played for tips was in Ricochet's Hometown.

If it weren't for him and his friend, I wouldn't have left there with anything at all.
I hoped we weren't that obvious!

It was great to see you here. But I knew that gig was gonna suck from a business standpoint.
ricochet
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:24 am

Oh yeah, the 'Vette:

ricochet
Regular

Postby bosco » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:07 pm

The 'Vette....atta baby!

In the early 90s I had a Chevy Cavalier I fondly called the Cavillac!

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to About Gigs