Big gig of my own!

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Big gig of my own!

Postby bosco » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:49 pm

I posted this in Hometown Blues as well, but it hasn't drawn any attention there.

Sat, July 15 th, my band, STREETSMART, will be opening for HighTone recording artist James Armstrong on the main stage at the 3rd Annual Marshall Blues Festival. Marshall is a quaint little town located right off Interstate I-94 about halfway between Detroit and Chicago for those of you close enough to attend. The Festival is free (donations accepted) and bands will be playing all day starting at noon.

We have been looking forward to this one for a long time since we won a competition at last year's festival for this year's opening slot. If any of you can attend, please come up and introduce yourself.

We played a Festival warm up gig last night at a popular Marshall Tavern. We absolutely tore the roof off of the place and had a few of 'em dancin' on the tables! This is going to be fun.

http://www.jarmblues.com/

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nizer » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:01 pm

Congratulations Bosco, have a rockin time today!
nizer
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:20 pm

Yeah, that's great, Bosco!
ricochet
Regular

Postby hashtaff » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:11 am

Break A Leg Bro
hashtaff
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:36 pm

Pleased to report that the gig and Festival were a HUGE success, stymied only slightly by the oppressive heat. It got up to 98 degrees without a cloud in the sky and we played on a flatbed trailer in the direct sun....The street they blocked off runs directly East-West. There wasn't any shade from a building, tree, nothing, we might as well have been out in the desert. The band played admirably, with a lot of energy fueled by the big crowd and great spacious sound.

I drank 3 bottles of water and 2 quarts of Gatorade while performing (two one hour sets from 6:00 pm to 8:30), 2 bottles of beer afterwards and did not need to use the bathroom until this morning! Unbelievable.

The sound guys did an awesome job after we had a less than desireable experience with the same hired outfit a year ago. I suppose a years' more experience helped their effort as they are mostly 20-somethings. I made sure I took the time to thank them afterward.

James Armstrong was excellent. My visiting Brother-in-law, who has his own blues radio show in Florida, said he is much better live as his recordings sound a bit sterile. James took the stage at 9:00, after the sun had gone behind the downtown buildings, lucky dog. He had a super tight 3 piece backing band and the crowd swelled from about 1,500 when we played to over 3,000 when the sun went down.

My wife was able to attend in spite of her illness and my sister who is a huge blueshead, is here from Florida. A great time was had by all, even though the morons mispelled our band name "Street- Smart's" on all of the posters and T-Shirts in spite of them having about 10 business cards and being on our e-mail calendar. Ain't Festival Committees wonderful?
Grrrrrrr. :roll:

Bosco

PS- There were no steps to the flatbed so you had to climb up there. Even Armstrong made a comment about that, "What the hell, no stairs?" One Festival volunteer got hurt as she was getting up to announce a raffle. She tried to use a travel case as a step and it had casters on it. It shot out from under her and she landed flat on her ass in the street. Luckily she didn't hit her head and was only embarrassed!
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:23 pm

People tend to assume a band's name is "The (noun or phrase of their choice)s," always plural.
ricochet
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:26 pm

Bosco: report please... how'd the gig go...?
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:20 am

People tend to assume a band's name is "The (noun or phrase of their choice)s," always plural.

Thanks for the reminder. Well, whatever people's tendencies are, it's really starting to stick in our craw. You wouldn't say, "That guy has street smarts." You wouldn't write it that way. I'm gettin' real weary of giving grammar lessons and of promoters who can't be bothered to give the respect and courtesy due of getting somebody's band name correct. After possessing a handful of business cards and not reading their email. It's bullsh*t. Sorry for the rant and I'm not aiming this at you Rico.

We've already decided we're going to get some T-shirts printed up that say, "STREETSMART"...kiss my "S".

Bubba- Already posted the report (see above) you must have skipped right past it.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:46 am

Bosco: readin' about playin' in that heat is too much to take; I can't believe somebody didn't pass out. It sounds like they need jus' a little encouragement to improve the stage setup for next year,regardless of who plays the gig.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:49 pm

I know you're not ranting at me, and I'm not supporting the idiots, either. Just pointing out the obvious. Bozos are everywhere. Sounds like you made the best of a tough situation. Real pros do that.
ricochet
Regular

Postby nizer » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:14 pm

Well I doubled checked ALL of the artist's names on the festival poster I just sent to press. Hope I won't be drawn and quartered if a typo slipped through.

Congrats on the gig Bosco. What was your set list?
nizer
Regular

Postby hashtaff » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:54 am

I know you're not ranting at me, and I'm not supporting the idiots, either. Just pointing out the obvious. Bozos are everywhere. Sounds like you made the best of a tough situation. Real pros do that.

Never underestimate the ineptitude of people.
hashtaff
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:04 pm

Here's some pics from the Fest-
(hopefully, still working on this photobucket thing)

The photos don't give any indication of the heat, but you can certainly see the lack of shade...

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:40 pm

Since I've got this working...here's a few of James as well. Enjoy!

Last edited by bosco on Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:16 pm

Nice pics,Bosco! You and your band look good! Yer a credit to our genre, me bucko.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to About Gigs