Blues solo.

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Blues solo.

Postby Brolis_Bliuzas » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:01 pm

Hello blues lovers I seven years play the guitar and playing blues solos I learn from video lessons and tabs. Where and how you learn to play solos? Where you take inspiration and new ideas from? Internet, jams, blues legends? Can you give some tips from you experiance.[/b]
Brolis_Bliuzas
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:12 pm

A friend showed me that blues box in standard, many many years ago.

Since then, I've played it over and over again, worked it out in different tunings, made diagrams, and just played it. Over and over again.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Brolis_Bliuzas » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:44 pm

But what about new licks and trics. I thinkit is very important for every player who wants to improvise. Don't say that you haven't learnt something from B.B., Albert King or SRV. Only listening to them I get lots of new ideas and improve my skills.
Brolis_Bliuzas
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:51 pm

Yep. Lots of listening and trying out what you hear is the key. And once in a while you'll find something "new" that's cool by just messing around.
ricochet
Regular

Postby nizer » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:08 pm

Over several decades I've learned lots from magazines like Guitar World and Guitar Player. Every once in a while they publish a blues special - lots of licks, chords, turnarounds etc. Check the used magazine stores. Takes a bit of work but then again anything worthwhile does.
nizer
Regular

Postby Brolis_Bliuzas » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:05 pm

My good friend and well known player in our country is against all learning from books and videos. He says that only from jams and improvising you have to build your own style because otherwise you lose you identity. I think it is bit stupid but I say nothing to him because i respect him too much.
You know I would like to have same journals but where I live it is very difficult because we don't have any stores like that. Maybe you could recomend some places on the internet.
Brolis_Bliuzas
Regular

Postby nizer » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:40 pm

nizer
Regular

Postby Brolis_Bliuzas » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:59 pm

Thank you nizer. And about my friend-teacher he is a bit strange but he is already 40 years old and his atitude can't be changed. But still I respect him because nobody in my city can play as good as he can. He likes my music and encourages me and I am very thankful for all his help. And special thanks for you for adresses.
Brolis_Bliuzas
Regular

Postby Bournio » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:00 pm

I dislike fundamentalists of any kind. Book burning has a bad history. Try these:

Certain things cannot be learned from books, fire lighting, not much use on a blues forum, but watching Ray Mears only gets you so far.

However, I will use books, I often do, that is the way my head works, I will learn a song, uhhh let's say "Nobodies Fault But Mine" from tab/sheet music, then I will make it my own.

Ian
Bournio
Regular

Postby Brolis_Bliuzas » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:10 pm

I agree with you that blues feeling can not be learnt from books it has to come naturaly, but still technique without books is impossible to learn. And today if you want to compete with hard metal players only feelings won't help.
Brolis_Bliuzas
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:08 am

I've gone out of my way NOT to cop licks from SRV, Albert or BB.

Every band I've been in has had another guitarist, and THAT was always their department.

Mine was finding stuff that fit over, under, and around the obvious.

Nowadays, I mainly play solo acoustic Blues - and I try to play breaks without really soloing - as far as that's possible.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bournio » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:53 am

Nowadays, I mainly play solo acoustic Blues - and I try to play breaks without really soloing - as far as that's possible.

But you're already playing solo! therefore you are soloing the instant you step up with your guitar! Hmmm I don't play solo, I like to have someone else there, no matter what they're armed with it feels better! I guess it's like self esteem issues, or the need to know I have an ally with me!

Ian
Bournio
Regular

Postby Brolis_Bliuzas » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:34 am

I think we simply have different roles and different attitude to the blues guitar. That's very good. I always play solo or chords with lot of details(the same solo only more notes in one time). I like creating melodies. I like SRV more than Robert Johnson, but still he is one of my gods. Maybe it is an influeunce of blues rock and rock music.
Brolis_Bliuzas
Regular

Postby scrappercondor » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:42 pm

A remember reading an interview with Eric Clapton where he said he formed his solos by taking BB King licks and Freddie King licks and joining them together with his own licks. I think that interview was from the 70s.

When I form a solo, I like to record the rhythm part first and just jam to it, looking for ideas but trying to keep some relationship to the song melody. I'll do that for a few days, maybe even a few weeks, until I'm comfortable with it. Then I'll start tabbing it out, making the solo more complex and more interesting, but always retaining the link to the song melody. I know some guys can just come up with a solo in a few hours, but I don't seem to have that ability.
scrappercondor
Regular

Postby Brolis_Bliuzas » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:22 pm

My style is formed not only by Blues masters but also by rock and metal. I plan to use arpegios and different modes in fast time. I don't think that to combine metal and blues is bad thing cause I think metal and rock music are kids of blues and you can find lots of useful things.
Brolis_Bliuzas
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar