Big Mistake

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Big Mistake

Postby oleman » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:25 am

I just replaced my weedwhackers with a REAL expensive set of guts on my doghouse. Bit cryptic...
Gut strings on an upright bass are supposed to be the ideal tone for the blues/rockabilly/slap style of music. I hated them! No projection, thin sounding and very expensive. These strings nearly cost as much as my imported Chinese bass.

I'm going back to my $16. nylon weedwhacker strings [actual weedwhacker string] to get that punchy, sustaining, loud rockin sound I love.

Thanks for listening!
oleman
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:26 pm

Hey, that's a great tip!

I don't play doghouse bass, but you never know...
ricochet
Regular

Postby fat paul » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:38 pm

Oleman, did you get the weedwackers from barefoot larry. I have tryed them but they did'nt have the sound that I like (I needed more sustain).
Also my band is playing the plaza in Santa fe this thursday at 7PM if your in the area.
fat paul
fat paul
Regular

Postby oleman » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:23 pm

Paul, I got the WeedWhackers from Lowes and Grangers on spools. It took forever for them to stretch out, but now they stay in tune great. I ordered some from Barefoot Larry but they haven't arrived yet. I think his have a nylon core and may sound a bit different. What do you have on your URB? Steels? Have Fun in SF; we'll be in Tor C.
Peace, A.
oleman
Regular

Postby fat paul » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:26 am

Yeah the strings on the Azola are a braded core/flat steel wrap. Have fun in TorC. Someday we need to meet for some pickin and beer.
fat paul
fat paul
Regular

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom