4th of July gig

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

4th of July gig

Postby stratman_27 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:33 am

My band. still un named at this time played our first gig together at a 4th of July party thrown by my boss. It was your typical bar b que and beer fest complete with fireworks. We set up by the pool (a safe distance) and played two 45 minute sets and following the fireworks we sat around and played a jam style acoustic set so the neighbors wouldn't complain.

All in all I'd say it went rather well with no major problems. Of course we didn't have much of a setup P A wise but were well covered. Our vocals need some work but the guitar playing seemed to impress most everyone. Bill and I kinda do a two lead guitar thing and work off each others energy and we have good contrast of guitar sounds to keep from stepping on each other. He plays with a much cleaner tone and more articulate than me. I have a tendency to play most of my leads with the fuzz box rocking with a little wah wah to add color. Bill's only effects are an old TS9 and a Boss chorus where I have a about 5 effects that I use quite a bit. I was impressed that my Peavey Classic 30 was able to keep up with his twin but he wasn't pushing it. Now on the other hand I was cranking mine pretty much wide open and those power tubes were absolutely singing. Probably the best guitar tone I've had in any outdoor event. I always liked playing outdoors but never could get a guitar tone I liked.

First Gig = 2 thumbs up and looking forward to the next
stratman_27
Regular

Postby bosco » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:50 pm

good job brother.....Kentucky rocks!

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby oleman » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:06 pm

Stratman, your gig sure sounded like a lot more fun than mine; a yuppie wine and cheese deal at a conference center for Intel excs. Surprisingly appreciative of the Blues though with some great guitarist and harpers sittin in from the crowd. One of the best paying gigs for our duo and an almost obscenely generous tip. Maybe going thru the corporate/bureaucratic maze to get the gig was worth it. Actually, no maybe about it; well worth it. If I could string a couple of these gigs together I might get a National and trade in the Rogue. I switch between upright bass and slide/harp/singing harmony for the "Catfish."
oleman
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:28 pm

Hey Stratman,that sounds like a fun gig. Party gigs really are different than bar gigs,eh? Boy,if you had your 30 dimed,it sounds like you guys were playin' loud.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:17 pm

Yeah, prob'ly too loud for me. :lol:
ricochet
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:39 pm

Doesn't seem that loud outside course my hearings probably damaged from my rock and roll days. I used to play a Marshall JCM 800 100 watt combo indoors. I eventually had to get a brake for it as I couldn't get "the sound" out of it without cranking it. Man that thing screamed.

Yeah the gig was a fun one and we probably were a little loud but with a younger crowd they didn't seem to mind a bit. We had a few drunk girls dancing in front of us who must have thought we were hot because they kept fanning their shirts at us. (wink wink) Kinda thought we were at a biker party at first.

We're don't have any other gigs scheduled as of yet but once we throw our name out there I'm sure we'll have some. All of us guys have played in a least one maybe two real popular local bands.

I really don't want this to turn into an every weekend thing because that starts to feel like a job or something. A couple gigs a month is fine by me.
stratman_27
Regular

Return to About Gigs