GREAT New Gig!

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

GREAT New Gig!

Postby bosco » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:46 pm

Well, good fortune has finally smiled on my band, Streetsmart.

After nearly 2 years of hearing how "great we sound" something decent has become of it-

I've posted that we had a steady monthly gig at the stuffiest Supper Club in town. We'll they're going out of business (again) so along with my previous band, the Slytones, we've outlasted 3 sets of owners there now covering over 5 years time . The money was great but that's where the positive stopped. The people were very difficult to work for and the Imelda Marcos type tyrant that owned the place once told me to put my sunglasses on because she liked me better that way and then quipped, "I LOVE having my own band!" It was damn near impossible to get people to go downtown and dance there, they just sat on their hands and watched. The place was also pricey and the service poor. Anyway.....

The Waterfront, a landmark Battle Creek Restaurant on the north bluff overlooking Goguac Lake has new young owners with a fresh perspective. It's located in the suburbs where most of the money around here is as well. They have a DJ on on Fri & Sat from 9-1 that draws a younger crowd but wanted to do something to pull in older patrons that would spend more money. We told them that older folks don't stay out late so they took our advice and booked us 2 weeks ago on Sat from 6-9 before the DJ. It was a great success, the dancefloor was packed and much of the dinner crowd stayed on until 9:00 pm which was what they wanted. So refreshing to have club owners actually listen to your ideas as well.

This Saturday, they had another idea. We played on the deck overlooking the lake so they could pull in boaters as well and it was advertised that we would play outdoors. We set up a front and rear PA to cover the lake side and played on the shore toward the back of the restaurant. The gig was flat out AWESOME!!! There must have been two dozen pontoon boats moored directly behind the stage with one helluva lake party going on. The restaurant has a liquor license to serve the boats and the trays of drinks and food the servers were taking to those boats were amazing. The entire back deck was filled with over a hundred more patrons with people waiting for seats. We got to wear shorts and Hawaiian shirts and be comfortable for change. What a gas to play for a crowd that appreciates you! After every song all the boat horns were honking and the deck roared. Man, we had fun, it was one helluva lake party and the club had their best night since the new owners took over.

We were already booked there every other Saturday for June and July and were told confidentially that the band that worked our off weeks "probably wouldn't be back." Armed with that news and with the energy of the outdoor lake crowd we put on our best performance to date, nearly flawless. Afterward, we worked the crowd and enjoyed the glow before we packed up and got paid. As I was pulling out of the parking lot, one of the owners ran along side my van and started tapping on my window. I stopped and he said, "I'm glad I caught you, can you play next Saturday? We want you every Saturday night." Wow, talk about music to my ears...to have a gig that much fun become a house gig is just a dream come true. If it rains all we have to do is set up inside and play there. This band really deserves good fortune after all the moving around, scraping for gigs and self promotion we've invested.

My sister has lived in Melbourne Beach Florida for 25 years. Everytime I visit her I get jealous of the bands that get to play the outdoor venues and beer gardens there. There's always so much energy outdoors and everyone seems to be there for a PARTY, not just dinner. We only get three months of good summer weather in Michigan, but I must say, we are in position to enjoy the rest of it! Whoooo-Paaaaa !!!!

Yesss!!! 8)

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rustyslide » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:03 pm

Sounds like a blast! :D
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby ricochet » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:15 pm

Oh yeah, that's terrific!
ricochet
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:56 pm

Best of luck and have fun!
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:06 pm

Congrats,Bosco! I'm really happy for you guys! It sounds like a good gig,too...nuthin' like party crowds.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stumblin » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:20 pm

Sounds like a great venue.
Enjoy yourself.
stumblin
Regular

Postby cas » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:31 pm

What fun! Wish I could come.

Carol
cas

Postby 1four5 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:18 pm

That's awesome Bosco!!! If I still lived in Grand Rapids...I'd come up for the party! 8)
1four5
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:51 am

That's the stuff that dreams are made of. Enjoy!
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nizer » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:56 pm

Congrats Bosco, sounds like it's gonna be a great summer!
nizer
Regular

Postby lightninboy » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:41 pm

Well done, :D .
lightninboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:28 pm

Thanks a million for the well wishes folks, guess you could tell how fired up I am by my post. Nice to be having fun again performing...it's amazing how difficult club owners can easily turn it into a task!

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:29 pm

VERY cool my friend!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:01 pm

to have a gig that much fun become a house gig is just a dream come true...

Well, they stuck the first pin in our doll. The new venue has an ownership committee of 4 guys. We found a chink in their armor and you can probably guess what it is..... communication.

We had the outdoor stage about half set Saturday when another band shows up. The aforementioned band "that probably wouldn't be back" was eliminated from the equation as expected. What we didn't know was that they didn't just schedule one other band to rotate with us. The club alledgedly tried to contact us during the week when they realized they had a conflict, but nobody in the band got a message.

The guys were pretty hot and I did my best to cool them down, we certainly didn't want to jeopardize the gigs we still have booked there. The Club offered dinner and drinks for our party (5 band members and 5 wives) which was a decent gesture. With 10 people in our party, it wasn't too much of stretch to rack up a tab that approached the $400.00 they were going to pay us anyway. I had NY strip and washed it down with micro brew. They also booked us two more additional gigs.

The other band are some local old pros (with two surviving members of Junior Walker's band) that are friends of ours. That part was cool. They recently lost a longtime house gig when that venue changed ownership. At least it was someone we knew, I've got a real issue with bands from other areas coming in and stealing local gigs.

The real shitter was that the place was even more jammed than last week. Word had spread like wildfire about the lake party. I saw people that follow our band that I haven't seen in months. No where left to park or sit. A lot of folks that came to see us were disappointed, and of course we were disappointed that we didn't get to play. So we're evidently back to every other week now with two dates in July and two in August.

The place is the hottest venue in the county right now so I'm still glad to be the major player there. Man, talk about an emotional roller coaster- they get big money for a ride like that at the amusement park. :oops:

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:17 pm

Oh, man!

Sounds like lots of potential there, though, when the bugs get worked out.
ricochet
Regular

Next

Return to About Gigs