Tim3finger's Telebass

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Tim3finger's Telebass

Postby 1four5 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:08 pm

Tim asked me to post a few pics of his Telebass. He couldn't find what he wanted on the market...so he built his own! I'll let him tell ya all about it.

1four5
Regular

Re: Tim3finger's Telebass

Postby tim3finger » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:35 pm

[quote="1four5"]Tim asked me to post a few pics of his Telebass. He couldn't find what he wanted on the market...so he built his own! I'll let him tell ya all about it.

Thanks to Dean for getting these pictures up. Here is the skinny on the tele bass. Although G&L makes a tele body bass, I couldn't drop $1300 on one, so I decided to make one.

Neck - SX P-bass, maple w/maple fret board, satin finish ---- 55.00

body - ebay from seller 100mph3, with binding, and routed for "51 P-bass pickup ----------------------------------------------------------- ---150.00

Tuners - ebay, 70's original unused Schaller/Gibson-------- ---45.00

Bridge - WD music heavy duty vintage Schaller copy---------- 42.00
Pickup - Basslines (S/D) "51 P-bass" ----------------------------65.00
Graphite nut - Graphtec ------------------------------------------ 9.35

Control pots & knobs & input jack ------------------------------ Dean EVO
( spart parts )

Pickguard - WD music , Tele Esquire------------------------------17.95

Won't go into the building process, let's just say lots of sanding, shaping and fitting on the headstock and body. Painting, screwing, marking and drilling and here it is. For a lot less than the G&L and totally unique and one of a kind.

I have already got some nicks and finger prints on it , so I guess I'll hang on to it. Lot's of fun doing and playing it.

Tim
Last edited by tim3finger on Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
tim3finger
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:18 pm

Nice looking boomer!
ricochet
Regular

Postby bosco » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:24 pm

Man, that is too cool.

Ya gotta love custom intruments!

8)

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby oleman » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:23 pm

Verry, Very nice! Ive built a couple basses and 6stgs from parts and from scratch and I think you will find out as I have that the satisfaction of playing pieces you have built is hard to beat.
oleman
Regular

Postby jeffl » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:59 pm

Very nice job Tim! That baby's got a clean look. Congrats.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby fat paul » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:09 am

That is just the bees knees. I would love to play that. Just too cool!!!!
fat paul
fat paul
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:19 am

Tim's glowing blue eyes are a little strange, however...
:shock:
ricochet
Regular

Postby tim3finger » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:01 am

ricochet wrote:Tim's glowing blue eyes are a little strange, however...
:shock:

They were glowing with excitement. The pics were taken just a few minutes before we (Not Worthy) ran through the set we will do tomorrow.

Happily, I can report, that excitement carried into the rehersal, and the pride of my new axe helped me to push my envelope on a few songs that I had been stuck in a rut on.

I can also tell you, as you may have guessed already, the telebass is NECK HEAVY!!!. Gotta get a fat leather strap for it soon, cause I don't think I like the low gunslinger look. Man my age gotta look cool and laid back while he's playing!
Hah!

Thanks for the comments guys.

Tim
tim3finger
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:51 pm

You should see it when Tim really gets those lazer beam eyes going. He'll make them spiral and hypnotize all the ladies. We strongly urge him to wear shades so no one passes out. 8)
1four5
Regular

I'm Back

Postby BobHolland » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:38 pm

Just checking to see if I can get into site. Been blocked out now for a couple of weeks. ThinelineBob no more, BobHolland now.
BobHolland
Regular

Now I'm really back

Postby BobHolland » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:43 pm

:D AOL had me blocked out, so I got in through IE Browser. Don't really understand why. ThinelineBob is no more, BobHolland is my realy name & I play Bass. I still have my 69 MIM Thinline Tele. Sorry to changed the topic of thread. I love that Bass Tim. Great job on the construction. Real cool. I'll just have to keep the Jazz Bass for a while longer. BobHolland :wink:
BobHolland
Regular

Postby tim3finger » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:21 pm

Here's an update on the telebass. After playing it a lot, the neck has settled in and after setting intonation, string height and neck relief, it plays like a dream. The action is super low and there is no fret buzz anywhere up and down the neck. Strung it with Fender flats ( .100 on the E ). Got the pickup at optimal height, good balance across all strings Sounds, as you would expect, biased toward the bottom to middle, slightly down on the top. I would like a little more brightness there, but oh well, it's a P-bass.

Little neck heavy, but I got a 3" wide Franklin strap and moved the strap button out to the heel of the neck. That kinda limits my playing way up the neck ( 17th fret and above ), but I don't play up there much anyway.
The main thing is it balances pretty well now, not perfect, but tons better than before.

The paint I used was old and sat out in the garage through two cold winters, so it may have gotten frozen. The paint never dried hard, so I have now got some serious scuffs, staining, and what-have-you going on.

Whadaya think, call it character and press on, or strip it down and start over?

I would like opinions from both sides of the "gotta have a pretty axe camp").

Overall, I am very pleased with the playability, so much that I think I will keep this homemade honey forever.

Tim
tim3finger
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:00 pm

Call it character and press on is the practical answer, but if I'd built the thing I'd have to redo it and make it pretty.
ricochet
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:48 pm

Beat the hell out of it...it looks cool as heck...like it's only 4 weeks old but looks like about 20 hard years. Needs a stones lip sticker on it :shock:
1four5
Regular

Next

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom