Give 'er another shot

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Give 'er another shot

Postby jeffl » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:22 pm

The best blues band from this area invited me to get up with 'em tomorrow nite at a big outdoor dance. There should be anywhere from 3000 to 5000 people there. I'll only play during one or two sets,and it's one of those deals where I prob'ly won't be able to rig like I want,'cuz they're doin' their sound check at 2 PM,and I work until 5 PM. So,I'll be slidin' up there cold and takin' my chances. I'm gettin' kinda used to these short shots with bands I haven't worked with,but I know all the guys and they're pros,so I'm guessin' they'll leave their originals outa those sets and we'll just do standards. I'm half tempted to tell 'em I'll play through a 58 already up on stage...I've gotten pretty accustomed to walkin' up and playin' through those (controllin' the feedback with cupped hands an inch or so away from the mic) ,and it always seems to go jus' fine. The sound board's about 150 feet from the stage,so any communication will be through the frontman who normally works the sound from stage in small clubs.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:37 pm

Good luck Bubba!!! Sounds like a great time...wish it were in our area!!! That's a heck of a good sized crowd!!! 8)
1four5
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:45 pm

1four5 wrote:Good luck Bubba!!! Sounds like a great time...wish it were in our area!!! That's a heck of a good sized crowd!!! 8)
It's for the Midwest Lumberjack Championships,and it's the opening shot for our Rochesterfest activities (a week long deal with outdoor music twice a day).
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby NEONMOONY » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:20 am

Sure sounds like a lotta fun, good luck!
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby bosco » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:11 pm

break a leg, Bubba!

That should be a hoot. 8)

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:08 pm

Thanks gang...I'm kinda surprised the guy even asked me,'cuz he's pickier than heck about the mix of his tunes. But,I know one thing: he likes alotta space and spacing in his tunes,so I won't play in all the spaces.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:43 am

HowditgoHowditgoHowditgo?
?
?
?
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:25 pm

It wuz a big bust! It turned out to be closer to 300 in the crowd,and get this.... the way the fences were line up, there were more people OUTSIDE of the fences who didn't pay,but they were easily close enough to hear well. The crowd was scattered in the dark in a big infield,with lotsa space between 'em,the beer trailers were prob'ly 150 feet behind the seating area,down a slight slope,so you couldn't even see 'em from the seating area. I didn't even play; I have no idea why,but it wasn't a big deal,under the circumstances. The band was tight,but it sure was a brutal situation to play to. At one time,a few months back,after listening to these guys,I thought they didn't need a harper with their sound,but after listening to 'em Saturday, I'd say they need a little something to punch up their sound. Frankly,in all fairness, they sounded like a band that had spent too much time in the studio lately,and hadn't gigged enough,and then they run into a grinder of a situation like that. I'll bet it left 'em with a really bad feeling... I'll be talkin' to 'em tonite prob'ly,'cuz the guitarist's kid's band is playing the teen dance tonite,and I wanna go down and catch 'em--they're pretty good,too.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:52 pm

I found out from the bandleader today that the volunteers workin' the gate at the show were telling people that if they didn't wanna pay the cover they could stand outside the fence and would be able to hear jus' as well. I really feel sorry for the vendors; the band got paid pretty well,but the vendors had to pay a flat concession fee,and I'm sure they lost their butts. This was the first year they had the venue set up at competition grounds for the Lumberjack Championships,and I'm sure they'll need a more controlled environment if they do it again next year. Apparently the other musicians were not thrilled about the fact that the bandleader had asked me to play,so that's why I drew a pass. I understand that entirely,and I'm glad he made the decision that he did; I'd like to play with these guys in the future,and I don't wanna start by pissin' 'em off. I like the B-3 player and the singer alot,and I don't need anything gettin' between me and them. It wuz good to hear a whole nite of great blues...lawn chairs,beer,and blues....you can't beat that combo.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:59 pm

jeffl wrote:great blues...lawn chairs,beer,and blues....you can't beat that combo.
Yeah, you can. Throw in barbeque.
ricochet
Regular

Postby bosco » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:36 pm

great blues...lawn chairs, beer, and blues....you can't beat that combo.

and Eva Longoria...

NOW.....that's tough to beat !

:twisted:
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:05 pm

ricochet wrote:
jeffl wrote:great blues...lawn chairs,beer,and blues....you can't beat that combo.
Yeah,and that brings up another question: Is there any barbeque that isn't "Award Winning"? It seems like everybody's barbeque is award winning. We got a place in this town that's called "Roscoe's Ribs",and it has real good barbeque,and if you ask anybody around here, they'll say it was voted #1,but none of us could tell you who voted it #1. Here in southern Minnesota,we are not BBQ experts. We don't even know the difference between hand-rubbed,pulled,or jerked.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:56 pm

I have a feeling this could be an opportunity for another Johnson joke...
ricochet
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:22 pm

ricochet wrote:I have a feeling this could be an opportunity for another Johnson joke...

Don't you even mention your 1/4 pounder.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Return to About Gigs