Helluva band but Too Damn Loud

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Postby bluesrules » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:26 pm

Don't know about the politics here but thought I would throw my .0000002 in about band volumes in clubs. It's certainly true that some bands can't control their stage volumes and have no concept of dynamics. That said I find that SOUND MEN are the worst offenders. The folks I play with all have a great sense of dynamics and good control of stage volume but when the sound man is part of the club you've got no control over what the audience hears. The current crop of sound men seem to think that every style of music should be mixed like a hip-hop dance club and all 25 gazillion watts at their disposal should be utilized. Not all of course but a high percentage of them. It's maddening but unavoidable. I always take my Westone ear plugs with me with multiple filters. Best investment I ever made. Just wish I would have done it before I damaged my ears. :shock: And drums are loud Lorilu. Ear plugs are your best friend. :)
bluesrules
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:59 pm

lorilu wrote:Ok, Ricochet. I guess we're ok.
Great! I like it that way. :D
ricochet
Regular

Postby gcd revue » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:40 pm

[quote]...if people are gonna be violent, rude and racist on a BLUES site of ALL places....

Hmmm...listened to much early blues? Doesn't get much more rude or violent (cases in point: Blind Willie McTell's "Your Southern Can Is Mine," or ANYTHING by Bo Carter). Visited the inner city? Nowhere is discrimination more prevalent than the INTRA racial problems downtown. Lemme know, I'll take ya on a little tour of Anacostia, where I drove ambulance for a couple years. And violence? The favorite pasttime there on Saturday night is to call 911 and shoot at the pretty red lights. The cops wouldn't go there after dark, unless they were making a delivery (crack and guns) or picking up a package for hizzoner.
gcd revue
Regular

Postby nizer » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:54 pm

Oh yeah, check out "Skinny Leg Blues", recorded in 1930 by Geeshie Wiley:

I'm gonna cut your throat baby, look down in your face
I'm gonna cut your throat baby, look down in your face
Let some lonesome graveyard be your resting place

http://ia300137.us.archive.org/1/items/ ... sBlues.mp3

she sounds like a real sweetie, huh?
nizer
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:04 pm

My guess is that LoriLu doesn't like seeing attitudes she doesn't like being displayed by people she generally likes,which can be disappointing,albeit realistic. I'll take blame for occasionally bein' rude,insensitive,crude,and making prejudicial remarks. I don't like to hear about it, but I'm occasionally guilty. None of that stuff is as bad as playin' too loud though,lol!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:51 am

....if people are gonna be violent, rude and racist on a BLUES site of ALL places....

Huh? Didn't see that!

Me neither...

This is one of the least violent, rude and racist forums on the net, BLUES or not, which is why a lot of folks hang their hats here, more than a few for many years now. The membership has always policed itself rather efficiently, thank you.

Now it seems that every time I log in, someone is being called out. There appears to be a LOT of misinterpretation lately, mostly by a self appointed new sheriff that has vowed "not to be quiet" and "not to go away." I for one, am growing weary of watching folks constantly have to defend and explain themselves and their motives. Takes all the fun out it for those with honest opinions, witty retorts and senses of humor.

The demise of Al-Zarqarwi should be applauded by all freedom loving patriots. The man was a menace to the planet...doesn't mean that folks that approve of his passing favor violence. A few light hearted jokes about a very serious problem, illegal immigration, doesn't make the participants racists. As for rude, haven't seen much of that. And it's worth pointing out that all of these subjects were posted in the WAY OFF TOPIC forum where any subject is permissible. It's not for BLUES!

Instead of taking offense to everything, I'd suggest just ignoring material that offends you, like 99% of the membership has done here since the beginning of this website and forum. It works for them and I'm guessing it would probably work for you.
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby cas » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:47 am

I have occasionally been put off by something posted here. Only once or twice did I post something in return that would let on that I was.

This is a great forum...I try to just let it go. For the most part I can & have. I like you guys (and gal or two) and would hope that if I offend you'd give me a break too.

If I ever am overly offended though...I'll let you know. Mostly, it'd have to be something pretty personal. And let's face it....I've never met anybody here in person so you probably wouldn't call me the one name that would really pi$$ me off.

LoriLu....You have strong believes--I respect you for that. I can't imagine anybody on this board really attacking you. If they do, let me know...I'll send Guido to break some legs for ya!

Carol
cas

Postby ricochet » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:35 pm

You probably won't find a better bunch of folks anywhere.

Now, if THAT doesn't give you the blues, what will?
:lol:
ricochet
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:40 pm

Well said Bosco!
And YES Rico, I have yet to find a better group on any forum!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:12 pm

:lol: Well I for one think you SOB's are rude and crude,and need to be tatooed, I love it!! And May I add?? feel at home!!
601blues
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:16 am

As to too loud music, I have listened to a good bit of it, but I've also used my hearing protection for a lot of the worst of it, and always for shooting (except one day in 1984, which left me with tinnitus to this day.) I can still hear those "mosquito" ringtones the fogies aren't supposed to hear, the 15,750 Hz whistle from TV horizontal deflection coils, and a similar high pitch whistle from the hard drive of this iMac that drives me nuts. (No, that's the steering wheel in my pants.)
ricochet
Regular

Postby bluesrules » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:47 am

and a similar high pitch whistle from the hard drive of this iMac that drives me nuts

I've got that problem too along with permament tinnitus. They call it Hyperaccusis. Hazards of the occupation. I don't know about you ricochet but a passing fire truck or police car with sirens a blazin' will damn near kill me! Too bad we don't get hazard pay! :wink:
bluesrules
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:13 am

At one point, I tested as having some hearing damage.

But in the past few years, my ears seem to have improved - I hear things before Jane does, for example - but that MAY be because my listening skills have improved.

I do safeguard my hearing much more carefully than I did when I was younger.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:19 pm

But in the past few years, my ears seem to have improved - I hear things before Jane does, for example - but that MAY be because my listening skills have improved.

Well then, you're the exception to the rule Danno. In 9 out of 10 marriages folks listening skills decrease the longer they're married!

Of course the vast majority of that is selective.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nizer » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:58 pm

My paternal grandparents lived into their 90s. My grandmother was wonderful - jolly, always fussing and cooking, a real matriarch. And she never shut up. My grandfather lost his hearing in his later years. He would sit quietly, puffing on his pipe and reading the newspaper. She would go, "Ed...ED....ED!!!" and he would look up. He couldn't hear her. That was the story anyway. I did notice, though, that whenever my grandmother mentioned food, even in quiet conversation ("I just baked some butter tarts") he would immediately respond, "Sure, I'll have one", even if he was on the other side of the room.
nizer
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to About Gigs