Got Da Fever!!

Tickle the ivories? Here's the place to talk about it.

Postby ricochet » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:35 pm

Your left brain controls your right hand, and right brain controls the left hand, actually.
ricochet
Regular

Postby 601blues » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:03 pm

:shock: Told you I was wired wrong!! gezz!! Ive never felt like a Jerry Lewis kid!! as I did workin on dat , 1/2 note whole note,thing!! But if I just play and not think about it I can do it!!! but to sit and do it on purpose!! man,dat will make your heead hurt!!
601blues
Regular

Postby claycotton » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:26 am

" To the person who uses music as a medium for the expression of ideas, feelings, images, or what have you; anything which facilitates this expression is properly his instrument." - Bill Evans

" It ain't the ax. It's the player... " - Clay Cotton

i've played boogie woogie blues piano since 1956, and i began my pro career with musselshite in 1968.

to hear for yourself, check out my playing at http://www.cdbaby.com/claycotton

then google:

clay cotton blues piano

for those who want to play blues piano, i can help. here's how i started (i'll make this a set of directions, & i'll do it in sections with the very basic techniques first, then adding more challenging techniques as you master each step/section):

today = step 1 = the 135 walking bass:

1. left hand (lh): in 4/4 time on every downbeat, strike the tones of the c major diatonic scale 1-3-5-3 (the 'white keys' for this pattern are c-e-g-e and these actually are the 3 tones of the c major chord).

use the little finger, middle finger & thumb, and begin on the c 3 octaves below middle c

we'll call this 135 walking bass.

do it over & over & over in meter without anything in in the right hand until ur bored stiff then do it again twice as long

step 2 = the 12-bar blues progression

step 3 = 12-bar progression variations + buy my cd at http://www.cdbaby.com/claycotton
step 4 = add simple right hand (rh) major chords
step 5 = full walking bass patterns (then with simple rh chords)
step 6 = 135 octave bass (then with simple rh major chords)
step 7 = full octave bass patterns (then with simple rh major chords)
step 8 = in the mood rh

these techiques should be sufficient to occupy the serious practitioner for quite some time, after which we'll expand into

- 6th, 7th & 9th chords in several inversions
- some basic licks / riffs

by then i'll know who's serious & whether it's worth the effort to continue the series, ok?

/clay
claycotton
Regular

Postby outstretchedarm » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:02 pm

I can handle this. What else ya got?
outstretchedarm
Regular

Previous

Return to Piano, Organ, & Keyboard