I think its Good News!!

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Postby 601blues » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:54 pm

8) But the most sad part of this NY thing,is not that I didn't go,it was as he stated in his e mail 25 yrs ago he had an album and walked away because of drugs! What is it with artists that leads them to throw everything away,and as you can tell by his email there is still some issues there, And this could happen to any of us, Acouple years ago I met Harold Corwart, Bassist for the Bee Gees thru all there glory yrs, This guy musta made millions,Gold records hangin on his walls,but had empty Vodka Bottles on the floors,all over!! Last yr I called and asked if he would show me some stuff on the bass, I drove down to Baton Rouge to see him, He looked like a homeless person skinny and unshavin,We played for about an hour I watched him fumble over the strings,Then he said he needed to get some smokes,I drove him down to a local store and watched him walk in nobody knew or cared that this worn out man was the famous Bassist of the Bee Gees,I watched the girl hand him the cigs,and a bottle of cheap vodka, he pulled out some 1 dollar bills and started countin and his change, he ran out to the truck and asked if I had a dollar,I gave it to him,and he returned with his prize!! Before I could get outta the parkin lot the vodka bottle was empty!! and he left it in my truck,I still have that bottle sittin on a shelf in my studio to remind me of how close I was to that!! And that scares me!! We should all be scared, its just sad to see so much go to waste!!
601blues
Regular

Postby warren » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:16 pm

wow...what a story...it is amazing how much talent has been lost to drugs and alcohol...

ww
warren
Regular

Postby lorilu » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:46 pm

Very sad and I don't take things for granted anymore. Especially if you have any inclination to "celebrate". It's so easy for them who are performing. Everyone wants to buy you a drink, lay out a nice fat line (old days), smoke the best and it's free and it's late and you're tired and then you wake up the next day or two or finally crash after 3 days and you need some more somethin just to pick you up a bit and keep on. And the habit just grows. The way of the night life and the party. This is exactly why these guys in the music business can slide right in and take over because it's open for them. Everyone is too fuzzy to stand up and take charge or even to oversee their own work. I'm sure executives find it much easier to manipulate people under the influence and if they burn out - well they can be replaced by a million other hungry musicians who will work for almost nothing. Weird.
lorilu
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:01 pm

I could never put a finger on it, but I think the spark that drives an artist to create is the same spark that drives a person crazy. You can use it or you can run from it. I'll never forget my first drink at 14. It was the first time in 14 years that the world was ok and my mind took a break. Not that I'm an artist, or even any good for that matter...but staying clean and sober is by far the hardest thing I've ever done (ODAAT). If I didn't play or create something, my brain would explode.
1four5
Regular

Postby 601blues » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:16 pm

8) I stayed stoned from 1967 when I went to viet nam, to 1985,I mean I never went without somekinda dope or booze long enough to get sober,in 85 I made a choice to stop and its the best thing Ive ever done, all that other crap lies to you you think everything you did good was because of the good dope, its a lie!! I play better and do everything better, Thank God I came outta dat crap!!!
601blues
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:57 pm

Difficult to figure out just where it all lives.

My problem is that I can go for months without drinking.

I can drink socially and responsibly without the slightest incident.

And then, all of a sudden, I'll kill a fifth of Tequila at one go and black out - find out later what I got up to.

Potter around shamefaced for a few weeks, then back to "normal" .

Sometimes, I wonder if I need to resolve that - to just out grow the whole thing.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:50 pm

>>>And then, all of a sudden, I'll kill a fifth of Tequila at one go and black out - find out later what I got up to.

Commonly referred to as a "Periodic" in the AA and rehab world! Can be the worst kinda drunk in that some delude themselves by thinkin it only happens now and then that they don't have a problem!
I personally was a daily drunk and blacked out on a regular basis so owning up to my problem was a no brainer! Just get the rest of the frikkin people to march to MY drummer and all would be bueno! LOL
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:26 pm

"...thinkin it only happens now and then that they don't have a problem! "

That's about it.

I'm afraid that giving up alcohol altogether - deciding that I have a problem - would make the idea of a binge MORE appealing.

And my overall intake has gone down over the past, say, 15 years - I just CAN'T drink like I could in my younger days.

And then every once in a while, it seems that I make a good try.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby gcd revue » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:41 pm

I figured out in my mid-20's that I could get in JUST as much trouble sober. AND, I get to remember the fun I had getting there! The novelty kinda wore off when there was no one telling me NOT to (Southern Baptist preacher's kid syndrome).
gcd revue
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:53 am

That thing about feeling more free and creative while stoned is probably my last hurdle to jump and it's been a while - so far so good. I did not swear I would never do it again although there are things I will never do again. I want to achieve on the natch that freedom and urge to create. I don't want a crutch to get there. I turned down some good medicinal and feel pretty good about it. :cry: :lol: :o :D fun with the smilies. So here is my own private crossroads - one of the many I have stood at and have ended up walking the right road after going down the wrong and turning back. I can't handle alchohol due to getting alchohol poisoning and my liver will never be the same. I can't get drunk even if I wanted to. One guy asked me (he's a friend so he was joking) So, how much is it gonna take to get you drunk? I said, "One more beer and I should be throwing up on you. But I won't be drunk." So nature took care of it and the shame and embarassment of all the stupid stuff took care of the rest :oops: . I will have to agree 100% about what makes you creative makes you crazy, too. I don't know - for everyone it's different how they stop but for sure it's just not that good for you.
lorilu
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:49 am

I can't join in about addiction/habitual use, but my own sense of self preservation and lack of spare cash has saved me from that particular route. I saw what it did to my father too so I refuse to join in with frequent excess.

Unfortunately, the only time anyone recorded me when I was absolutely drenched in whisky, I have to tell you that I actually turned into a real musician. The choice is easy to make, I understand I have the music in me, I just have to work at getting it out without chemical disinhibitors.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:59 pm

601blues wrote::D HAHAHA!! :D I see by a few earlier posts some peeps thought I was serious about da chick magnet stuff, No sense of humor???? but funny!!
Hey, there's not much I take seriously. Especially that chick magnet stuff.
:lol:

I'm sorry things didn't work out on that NY thing, but it sounded up front like there were problems. Something better'll come along.
ricochet
Regular

Postby 601blues » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:11 pm

:shock: I recieved this Friday!--------To: 601blues
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:57 am
Subject: Re: i am so sorry
WOW
You are a BETTER man than I had even thought !!!!

I AM DEVISTATED OVER THIS....and felt even worse that I let you down.
But now that I read this I see that you are a TRUE FRIEND and I made a GREAT CHOICE in asking YOU to be on this record with me.
WE DO still have the ALLIGATOR OPTION to explore and WE WILL talk about it more on the phone...next week
Right now I am still licking my wounds and trying to get myself healthy again.....I lostover 15 pounds during the negotiations and even my doctor was pissed at me for allowing them to STRESSSSSS me out so much.

I do however feel 100% better now I know that you do not HATE me nor do you think I LET YOU DOWN....I GAVE IT 110% of my time and energy.

But like you said I MUST DO WHAT's BEST for MY WIFE and MY HEALTH.

I shoudl have known after dealing with them once that they SUCKED BIG TIME....but I do NOT think I'll ever get over how they tried to trick me into doing some thing that would have ended up with me and possibley my wife IN JAIL!!! MOTHER *Golly Gee* !!!!

WHEN we do this wether it be on ALLIGATOR or I pay out of my pocket and we do it in a friends studio in NYC when it's done I WILL send them a copy in a box but the box will be filled with *Poop* !!!!!!!

SO I THANK YOU FOR YOU INTEGRITY AND HONESTY BUT MOSTLY YOUR UNDERSTANDING AND FRIENDSHIP and we WILL DO THIS SOMEHOW but LEGALLY and in an atmosphere that we are having FUN not under the gun and stressed out!!!!

It will be ARISTA's loss...and at least I got to see BB front row and was taken in a LIMO and BB gave me his necklace and I GOT TO PLAY LUCILLE so bottom lineis I got to see the KING and a HAND JOB !!!! *Golly Gee* !!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU....for it was you I felt as if I had let down....and I knew that without you I would NOT have gotten that PERFECT SOUND I wanted so badly that is why I will continue to correspond with ALLIGATOR and call my friend and see what he'll charge me to put down 18 songs and YOU AND I will put together the BEST BLUES BAND EVER......

LOVE YA MAN.....THANKS

Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:21 pm

You gotta feel good about that,601! God bless ya',me bucko. This is actually soundin' better now than it did at first; I mean,woudn't ya' just have loved it if ya' coulda got an invite to do sumpin' with him on the Plan B method,without gettin' this tickler from Arista at all....?
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1dustyeod » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:14 pm

I've got a studio here in my house that is available should you just like to record the album and then shop it to record companies. We could do 18 songs in no time at a fraction of what the big boys could do. Seems a waste to do all that work and not even record one song...... Don't let them stand in the way of your destiny friend. All roads lead to Rome....

8)
1dustyeod
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to About Gigs