Blues Bass Amp

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Blues Bass Amp

Postby thinelinebob » Mon May 29, 2006 5:41 pm

This may have been asked before, but just curious:
What bass amp do you blues bass players use? Upright & Bass Guitar?
Here is what I use, but I play a lot of other styles of music.
(1)Ampeg B100R, (2)Alembic F1-X Preamp, QSC2402 Power Amp (just 1 side), Aguilar GS410 Speaker Cabinet (4 ohm), (3)handwired by a friend 200 watt all tube head (4 x 6550). What all y'all using? Bob :roll:
thinelinebob
Regular

Postby fat paul » Tue May 30, 2006 2:01 am

Ashdown head with a avatar neo-15 cab. I run an A/B box with a p-bass in input A, an Azola baby bass thru a sansamp DI into input B then straight into the ashdown. It gives me a nice old school thump
fat paul
fat paul
Regular

Postby oleman » Tue May 30, 2006 4:05 am

For my upright with a K&K piezo pup, to a Big Muff and direct to the PA or to an old Fender Bassman. With the Fender it's a constant battle with feedback even with a tennis ball behind the tailpiece and the F holes taped up. I'm going to be forced to get some sort of preamp so I can clip the frequencys that cause the problems. Any ideas? Even with all the BS, I don't think I can go back to a P or J bass. My upright is a Romainian built bass ment to be amplified as it is one half the thickness of a concert bass.
Also strictly for Pizz, no arco.
oleman
Regular

Postby fat paul » Wed May 31, 2006 1:06 am

Oleman I have a k&k bassmax on the baby bass. Its as quiet as a church mouse. possably a good quality elect upright might be the answer. Also you and I seem to be the only ones on this site from Abq. We need to get together for beer and pickin. You call it
fat paul
fat paul
Regular

Re: Blues Bass Amp

Postby tim3finger » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:59 pm

thinelinebob wrote:This may have been asked before, but just curious:
What bass amp do you blues bass players use? Upright & Bass Guitar?
Here is what I use, but I play a lot of other styles of music.
(1)Ampeg B100R, (2)Alembic F1-X Preamp, QSC2402 Power Amp (just 1 side), Aguilar GS410 Speaker Cabinet (4 ohm), (3)handwired by a friend 200 watt all tube head (4 x 6550). What all y'all using? Bob :roll:

It's hardly worth mentioning, but my practice/at work amp is a behringer BX300. It is a good little amp, 30watts of nice clean power through a 10" speaker. Has usefull EQ and shape function.

Also have a behringer BX600. Wish I didn't, it is a noisy, crappy toned POS. The BX300 is so much better, I can't believe they were built by the same company!

For gigging, I use a borrowed ,old Fender bassman 150. I am thinking about getting a Crate half stack. MF has em on sale for 349.00 right now, or an ampeg BA115.

Tim
tim3finger
Regular

Postby lorilu » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:55 pm

I have a Fender BXR Bass 300 - used. I love it. But I really don't know too much about amplification. Just thought I'd join in anyway! Feel free to explain anything you might want like these preamps and what you run through , etc.
lorilu
Regular

Postby fat paul » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:53 am

Lorilu, Re: preamps I have a sansamp bass driver DI that goes everywhere with me. It gives even the most clean sounding amp a rounder almost tube sound. Also if your playing a gig that requires PA support the soundman can take a direct signal from this little box and get a great sound. Ok infomercial over...back to our regular programing
fat paul
fat paul
Regular

Postby lorilu » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:00 am

Thanks Paul. I really am lacking in knowledge about this stuff. Is it expensive?
lorilu
Regular

Postby tim3finger » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:19 pm

lorilu wrote:Thanks Paul. I really am lacking in knowledge about this stuff. Is it expensive?

Me too. :?:

I especially would like to know more ins and outs about stand alone preamps and running into a PA. Little bit of info about compressors and what they do would be nice too!

Thanks in advance

Tim
tim3finger
Regular

Postby oleman » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:15 pm

Me too, Fat Paul, apparently you are resident expert on bass amplification, preamp, etc.
I always feel like I'm flyin by the seat of my pants on these subjects. When I get a good sound it's always purely by accident or blind luck.
oleman
Regular

Postby fat paul » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:29 am

Lurilu, the sansamp costs about $190.00 but its a great direct box
as far as compression is concerned I have never figured out how to get a good sound from them(I'm not much of a knob twiddler)
Oleman, nowhere near an expert but the afore mentioned sansamp gets a great sound EVERY time.
fat paul
fat paul
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:29 am

Thanks! It's so important but almost magical as far as understanding how it works, at least for me. I have a simple kids book on sound to study. Hopefully, that will give me some intelligent questions to ask. I have a friend that when she was ready to learn about amplification and sound she just got herself some books and studied for a few months. Another friend, she went by a few years of trial and error when recording her cd of all her originals. She studied up a bit, too. So much to learn! And it's really important as far as knowing how to get a nice sound.
lorilu
Regular

Postby fat paul » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:17 pm

Lorilu I admire your desire to learn these things. I dont have a very good grasp of circuitry or the technical aspect of these things. some things I have learned is that for me simpler is better, tubes tend to soung great and the tone that sounds good to you playing by yourself dosent work in a full band setting. I think that I still have a lot to learn
fat paul
fat paul
Regular

Postby lpdeluxe » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:39 pm

I'm with Thinelinebob: I use an Ampeg B100R. It's portable, has wheels, and a great tone which can be tweaked for different styles and basses.

I rehearse with a MusicMan HD-130 head and a Hartke 410XL, and I love the sound, but 149 lb is too much for this old guy to pack around. The B100R is 60 lb, still a little chunky, but I couldn't find a smaller amp that sounded good.

If I were playing more variety in my material, I might try a Line 6 Bass POD Live. I recorded an electric guitarist through the guitar versiion, and, not only did it sound great, but the line out was perfectly quiet. Very nice for recording, good for gigging.

As it is, though, the B100R is what gets lugged to the job.
lpdeluxe
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:32 pm

I'm using a Behringer BX3000 head and I'm running it thru a single Sheffield 15 inch speaker cab. I am a fan of Peaveys Sheffield speakers. They are very warm. I use the "Shape" fuction on the BX3000 only and man does it put out a nice noise. The Danamizer and Deep function blow in my opinion but that Shape turned up to about 6 is great.
bigdaddy
Regular

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom