Christian Praise/Rock...Yikes!

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Postby lorilu » Wed May 24, 2006 6:19 pm

That is the best - the friendship and love while you all play together! That is, to me, the essence of god - being love and kindness and goodwill. That would be where I would be found. I do not find it in church though many do. It is very exciting that you guys have come so far and are learning this complicated music and are ready to play! I will always wish you the best in anything you do unless you started preachin at me! Bubba- uh huh, yeah, uh-huh. :)
lorilu
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed May 24, 2006 6:52 pm

lorilu wrote:That is the best - the friendship and love while you all play together! That is, to me, the essence of god - being love and kindness and goodwill. That would be where I would be found. I do not find it in church though many do. It is very exciting that you guys have come so far and are learning this complicated music and are ready to play! I will always wish you the best in anything you do unless you started preachin at me! Bubba- uh huh, yeah, uh-huh. :)
LoriLu: I've been a practicing Christian my entire life,and I've never had the heart that you've got...it frustrates me. At least I've got examples around me to aspire to,and I've been workin' on bein' more open and giving to others,tryin' to reach out more. You've got a great heart,sis!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Wed May 24, 2006 8:51 pm

I have to agree LL has a huge heart!

I'm a Christian. But a very very rough one. I'm a smoking tattoed dissallusioned sceptical christian. I've never felt comfortable in a church. To me, AA meetings are more where I belong, I always feel right there. I was a sunday school teacher and youth group leader in the mid 90's but got "relieved" of my duties when I had the youth group change the lyrics and perform a Beck song. I've never joined a church since. Hanging with my friends is totally great fellowship, and they, all avid church goers, have never once condemed me or judged my ways, or tried to drag me to a service. We are definately not a P&W band...although we do a LOT of gospel music, and will do shows like tonight. I have nothing against playing at a church, in fact tonight will be the 3rd time we've done a church show...but the first time playing all this newfangled type music. Speaking of...gotta load the car and get going! 8)
1four5
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Wed May 24, 2006 11:17 pm

How about the bands Bride, Red Sea, The Brave, Whitecross, man I love them bands. Very talented and very Christian. I have a slew of Christian rock CD's from the 80's and 90's. My son's still listen to it. My 22 year old brought in the latest Disiple to work out with, killer stuff. Have a great time doin' the show. Savor every moment of every gig regardless what kind of music. It's when we're in front of an audience that we're doin' what we're suppose to be doin'. Long live giggin'.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby fat paul » Thu May 25, 2006 3:43 am

1four5, you and I are cut from the same cloth. I guess that I too am a little rough around the edges for some folks. I was not trying to slag all Christian musicians but I have seen the belly of the beast having played in church for much of the last 8 years. I admire you Lorilu, you do indeed have a wonderful heart. It is always uplifting to read your posts
thanks agen
fat paul
fat paul
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Thu May 25, 2006 5:33 pm

Thanks again for all the encouragment we get here and a very interesting thread! I have to admit I had a REALLY REALLY fun time last night. Them kids are high energy, and we had all our stuff cranked (it was the loudest we've ever played)...I think we almost fried our mixer...it was making some funky noises and was red hot to the touch...but it made it. It was 90 degrees or so and we were outside. I think we passed...they sure knew the songs and some really got into them. It was a carnival atsmosphere where there was a lot of stuff going on, so those who wanted to could listen and get into it, and there was plenty to keep anyone not interested busy. This was really a great low pressure situation and we really let loose and played well. I'd do it again in a heartbeat (and judging by the reaction, I'm sure we will 8) ). We did throw a few bluegrass gospel in, and even got some imitation knee slapping hoe-down joking/dancing going on. I think they even liked it (at least I didn't hear no booos) and the parents liked that stuff :D
1four5
Regular

Postby lorilu » Fri May 26, 2006 1:06 am

Thank you so much, I did not know that about myself, really. My heart's been broken many times and maybe all the scar tissue made it bigger. It is about just trying to be good and that's what you all are doing. Many of us will hurt ourselves so much worse than anyone else ever could. I am sorry if I've been closed to the p&w music but knowing that you guys do it is making me want to listen with a more open mind. Although I'd rather hear you doing it live. Record and soundclick the tunes! Much love to all. Bubba I think you are great.
lorilu
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Fri May 26, 2006 1:15 am

Glad to hear it went well.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby grady » Fri May 26, 2006 1:23 am

I'm a "rough" Christian too.

I'll go to Church regularly, IF they have a Men's Softball team
that I can play on.
grady
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri May 26, 2006 2:48 pm

grady wrote:I'm a "rough" Christian too.

I'll go to Church regularly, IF they have a Men's Softball team
that I can play on.
Grady: you crack me up,bigtime! I musta missed parts of Star Wars!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Sat May 27, 2006 1:01 am

Got a couple pictures from Wednesday. Here's Tim3finger...BTW, check out the bass he just got done building last week!

And who's the dork with the 1970's Top Gun shades!

1four5
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Sat May 27, 2006 4:05 am

The Top Gun shades are very nice...I have a pair myself.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Sat May 27, 2006 1:52 pm

I LOVE them shades...they cost about $300 many years ago, and they are prescription saftey lenses...the only scrip shades I own. I'm far sighted and the scrip still work wonderfully in situations like this...besides, if they throw something at us, my eyes are protected :shock: :D 8)
1four5
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat May 27, 2006 2:02 pm

The shades help give your otherwise "family style" band the appearance that there might be a slightly deviate member lurking on stage. They look good on you,Onefer.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Sat May 27, 2006 2:49 pm

I LOVE those shades! You guys look great! Tim hasn't written in to tell us about his bass yet. Is he mad about the whole p&w feedback. Sorry, Tim, come back and post in Blues Bass. I won't say anything anymore. I promise (crossed fingers behind my back). :twisted:
lorilu
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to About Gigs