A little late on the intro...

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

A little late on the intro...

Postby j bird » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:45 am

It's probably pass due that I drop in and give a little intro about myself.

My real name is Jason. I spent my first 22 years in southern Arkansas. I suppose my affinity to the blues has a lot to do with that background. It was either that or get into country music (at the time I couldn't stand country and western but it's growing on me a little).

Being a graduate with a Bachelor in Fine Arts degree didn't leave much to offer in a primarily agriculture driven state so I moved out to Colorado to try and get into the advertising/marketing business. Little did I know that Boulder was crawling with other "artsy fartsy" types. Competition was tough but I did manage to survive out west. Learned to ski and snowboard and generally just fell in love with the mountains. If you haven't been to Colorado I'd put it high on your list....it's still my favorite place.

After spending 5 years in Boulder I got a wierd bug telling me it was time to move along. I thought being a graphic designer was going to bring me happiness but you'd be amazed at how boring this career can be if your not designing for something/someone you believe in! I decided I wanted to get more into what I love (music) so I took a look into the industry.

Now I've landed a job working for an amp/fx/music manufacturer here in L.A. I've spent the past 3 years working in the product development dept. creating silkscreens, packaging, and user's manuals for our products. It's been a fun ride. I've even managed to get my pic in GuitarPlayer (a dream come true) for an article covering one of our latest products (if you have the mag and are savy enough you'll figure out who I work for since the product was featured on the cover recently). Okay, so it wasn't because I'm a BadA$$ on guitar but hey...! The company doesn't satisfy everyone but I'm sure enjoying what we're doing and I think it's great to work for a company that pushes the envelope.

So, I'm 30 now and have spent half my life trying to figure out this device with 6 strings on it. I'm still loving it and it challenges me every day. I love the blues and as much as I try and step away from it I still find that I'll never be more comfortable than I am sitting in on a 12 bar blues progression. It's just part of me I suppose?

Well, that's about it. See ya around the BRB and thanks for having me! I really enjoy this place.
j bird
Regular

RE: A little late on the intro...

Postby fatboy » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:26 am

Hey, what part of southern Arkansas are you from? Those are my stomping grounds.
fatboy
Regular

Postby bosco » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:53 pm

A belated welcome J Bird...

Our other member tagged "JayBird" is in Vermont, so knowing you are on opposite coasts will help keep it straight. (at least for me!)

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby j bird » Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:16 pm

Fatboy,

I grew up in Hope. So as you can imagine I get my share of Clinton jokes :)
j bird
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:52 pm

I had actually noticed you in said article; I connected you to the mysterious company after a certain amp featured prominantely in an online gallery you posted and other things you've said.

Didn't want to finger you 'til you came out of the closet, as it were. I don't suppose we could get any product samples...? :)

ramble ramble ramble
I got ramblin' on my mind.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby j bird » Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:50 pm

>I had actually noticed you in said article; I connected you
>to the mysterious company after a certain amp featured
>prominantely in an online gallery you posted and other
>things you've said.
>
>Didn't want to finger you 'til you came out of the closet,
>as it were. I don't suppose we could get any product
>samples...? :)
>
>ramble ramble ramble
>I got ramblin' on my mind.

Ha ha..very cool. I wish I could pass around some free samples but It's hard enough to even get those for myself but if your ever in L.A. your welcome to come by, hang out and sample the gear!
j bird
Regular

Postby skibumdog » Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:32 pm

Again, welcome, I enjoyed reading your bio

I have played mostly acoustic and am now just starting to learn about amps and especially, amp settings. Any input you can give my amp queries will be welcome. I realize a lot of my questions should be obvious to anyone who's spent much time with amps, but that's where I am right now.

Like you, I just love 12-bar blues. My friends don't understand the blues CDs that dominate my listening. They think all blues is the same.

skibumdog
skibumdog
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:56 pm

>Like you, I just love 12-bar blues. My friends don't
>understand the blues CDs that dominate my listening. They
>think all blues is the same.

yeah, mine too. So I made a mix CD covering different styles of blues. Of course, I haven't sent out any copies yet. It's right below 'finishing BigRoadBlues CD Cover' on my things-that-should-be-done-but-aren't list.

ramble ramble ramble
I got ramblin' on my mind.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby j bird » Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:54 pm

>Again, welcome, I enjoyed reading your bio
>
>I have played mostly acoustic and am now just starting to
>learn about amps and especially, amp settings. Any input you
>can give my amp queries will be welcome. I realize a lot of
>my questions should be obvious to anyone who's spent much
>time with amps, but that's where I am right now.
>
>Like you, I just love 12-bar blues. My friends don't
>understand the blues CDs that dominate my listening. They
>think all blues is the same.
>
>skibumdog

Thanks Skibum,

Like everyone else I love talking about amps! I will certainly chime in where I can. There's plenty of guys here who know their way around amps too and since there are so many opinions abound you should get a lot of perspective on the subject. Tone is such a fun topic because it's rare when people ever agree 100%

Since we're talking about amps...here's a pic of me sitting on the bassman in the front of our co's amp collection. I still get chills when I look at the "mountain". There's some real jems in this pic! We've since moved the amps but they used to sit right out side my office so I had a very beautiful view every day :)

Cheers ,
J

http://www.jasonlynn.com/images/portraitwithamps.jpg
j bird
Regular

Postby bluesmcgoo » Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:23 pm

Man! What I wouldn't give to spend a day pluggin' into those babies!

Offhand - and without knowing anything else about it - I'd say you may have struck gold in the "dream job" category!
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby j bird » Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:56 pm

It has it's benefits :)

The 1953 Tweed Deluxe and the 1967 Silvertone Twin are my faves of the bunch...for the blues that is.
j bird
Regular

Postby skibumdog » Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:24 pm

Must be hard to get a lot of work done with those great amps there.
Maybe they make you check your guitar at the door, like they used to make you check your gun at the door in old time saloons in some of the movies.
skibumdog
Regular

Postby charles » Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:33 pm

Hello and welcome JBird

Charles

Damn is match box blues a bot or what?
charles
Regular

Postby frankenstrat2 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:32 pm

Hey Jason!