My Guitars, Past and Present.

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

My Guitars, Past and Present.

Postby england kev » Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:30 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-18-03 AT 02:00 PM (EST)]I thought you might like to see some of the old collection,follow the link to see some of my guitars both past and present, and I still have some not included. hope you like them.

http://www.picturetrail.com/england-kev

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL73/9891 ... 852215.jpg
england kev
Regular

RE: My Guitars, Past and Present.

Postby badfinger » Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:55 pm

Hey, Kevin.

Very nice. I already met the Crafters reso - but I love that SS Maxwell!

bf
badfinger
Regular

Postby ernest » Sat Mar 22, 2003 12:23 am

Very nice guitars, I love old parlour guitars and it's always good to see an egmondt.
ernest
Regular

Postby stumblin » Sat Mar 22, 2003 8:27 am

Wow, that's quite a collection.
Some very nice looking guitars there.
Maybe now I can show your site to her indoors and persuade her that it's okay to have more than a couple of guitars, and that I do need that 12-string I've got my eye on!
stumblin
Regular

Postby england kev » Sat Mar 22, 2003 10:42 am

Thanks for the comments guy's, It's not until you pick up/play one of the early "affordable" dime store guitars, that you realise how much talent some of the blues fathers had! as they are not the easiest guitars to play, and many have an action you could drive a bus under, maybe that's why so many used slides? I wonder how many of us would have given up on the guitar if that was all the choice we had today.
Kev.
england kev
Regular

Postby stumblin » Sat Mar 22, 2003 2:11 pm

High actions...
I remember reading somewhere that a lot of early blues players inherited their first guitars from people who had ordered guitars from Sears & Roebuck as a cheap source of entertainment, found the instrument too hard to play and passed the guitars on.
stumblin
Regular

Postby kingfish » Sat Mar 22, 2003 8:03 pm

I don't think they would have had high actions when they were made. The years of strain of strings twists the bridge and pulls the neck forward. If you look on an old acoustic guitar you may see a slight 'belly' behind the bridge where the soundboard has distorted. Acoustic guitars are generally made so that a straight edge laid along the frets meets the bridge almost dead on top. On old guitars the straight edge often hits the bridge well down toward the soundboard.

Interesting guitars england kev. Nice collection. I have a 30s May Bell parlour too, although it's not the same as yours. Mine has binding around the body and soundhole and a non-slotted headstock. Really sweet tone. Know anything about them?

I need to do some work on the bridge on mine to compensate for the high action - either that or get the neck reset.
kingfish
Regular

Postby england kev » Sat Mar 22, 2003 8:30 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-22-03 AT 03:46 PM (EST)]From what I have found out May Bell was a singer at the Grande olde Oprey, and the Guitars that wear her name were made by the Slingerland banjo company,(from what I have found out, the guy who started the Slingerland company, won a book on how to make ukes, in a card game) which in turn became the slingerland Drum Co, untill they were bought by the Gibson Guitar company.
I stand to be corrected on any of these points, as it is hard to get correct information over here in the UK. By the way here is the latest addition to my collection.........
http://www.gryphonstrings.com/gazette/g ... 00015S.jpg

It is a Martin 000-15S
england kev
Regular

Postby england kev » Sat Mar 22, 2003 8:40 pm

As for the action height, the Regal in my photo's is a bit of a rare beast, not so much in style but more through the fact that it was a closset find, and had never (going on condition, and the fact that there was no dust to be found anywhere on, or in the body) been strung or taken out of it's case, and is therefore in as new condition, even the bridge which has a small metal spike to hold it in place had never been fitted properly, and when strung gave a med/high action what would be described as good for slide.
If any of you would like some Photo's or measurements of this guitar feel free to ask, and I will try to help.

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL73/9891 ... 851641.jpg
england kev
Regular

Postby yasn » Sun Mar 23, 2003 4:58 pm

I don't know how to play guitar, but pictures are marvellous (especially plants in the background :) ). I hope that these instruments sound as well as they look.
yasn
Regular

Postby england kev » Sun Mar 23, 2003 9:58 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-23-03 AT 06:24 PM (EST)]Thanks for the feedback Yasn.

New pictures added........

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL73/9891 ... 139834.jpg
england kev
Regular

Return to A Bit About You