Hello

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Hello

Postby jaybird » Sat Aug 24, 2002 2:35 am

Well here I sit after a couple of whiskeys, o.k. maybe just one big one, deciding that I will enter something here about me.
Blues? Love the Blues. Ever since I saw Taj doing Sweet MaMa Janice on MTV in 1980 whatever, yes MTV, believe it our not. From there it led to Muddy Waters and on and on.
I play harmonica, I don't think I play well enough yet to call it harp. Playing for about 1.5 years now. Biggest influence is Sonny Terry. I've been wanting to play blues harmonica since 1980 whatever, started to try about 10 times. This time I've stuck with it and I'm having a blast.
I first was exposed to the harmonica as a small boy on my back porch, were my dad would play Steven Foster tunes and old time stuff on his Marine Band. He later went on to play and build Autoharps. The only other instrument I've played was a wash tub bass my dad made. He made me play it when he got together with a friend of his who made and played fiddles. Imagine that "he made me play it" I'd give anything now to jam with my dad on bass, harmonica or anything, he died in 1990 in a water skiing accident.
Well I'm 35 now, wife, 2 kids (another on the way, oops), been digging all that goes on on this site for some time now. Have asked a question or two and found friendly help so I thought I'd make my presence known instead of lurking in the corners.
So that's me, Jay from Vermont, still out in the garage trying to make that thing sound right and hoping to get together with a guitar player sometime and get down. I've got lots of questions, so stay tuned.

Later,
Jaybird
jaybird
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Hello

Postby srvlives » Sat Aug 24, 2002 5:18 am

Well I'm 35 now, wife, 2 kids (another on the way, oops),
>
>Later,
>Jaybird

They say they know what causes that now, there's signs of it here again too!

Welcome Jay, enjoy.

'S&!t, rollers' Elwood
srvlives
Regular

Postby hashtaff » Sun Aug 25, 2002 11:36 pm

Wellcome Jaybird. I've got 6 kids (all boys from 18 -2 yrs) and I'm pretty sure that I know what causes it now.
If you've been playing harp for a year and a half you should be getting pretty good. The Harp forum has been pretty quiet recently so PLEASE visit and stick in your four cents worth.

"Blues don't know where you're going,
they don't know where you been.
Looks like blues done got me again "
hashtaff
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Tue Aug 27, 2002 9:33 pm

Jaybird welcome to the Bigroad!

I have a story that mirrors yours except with my grandfather. As a very small boy I remember sitting on his knee and listening to him play the harmonica. He was a German immigrant farmer and he played marvelous marches, polkas and waltzes complete with background chording and tongue blocks. Amazing stuff that you just won't ever forget. He died when I was only 10 and not long after I went out and bought a harp, taught myself how to play and been playin ever since, over thirty years now. I'd give anything to jam with gramps. Hell, nobody even has a recording of him. But just like you, I prefer to think that the music lives on through me. ;-)

keep on Harpin'...Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jaybird » Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:24 am

>
>I have a story that mirrors yours except with my
>grandfather. As a very small boy I remember sitting on his
>knee and listening to him play the harmonica.
>Hell, nobody even has a recording of
>him.

>keep on Harpin'...Bosco

I'm a little luckier in the recording department. My dad had made recordings of himself practicing. I found the tape we played at his funeral a couple of months ago and played it for the first time since that day. Brought back lots of memories, of course. He would come home from work and go to his room and play for an hour or two to unwind. I remembered being in the shop and helping him glue up the frames for his Autoharps and later watching him carve them for a custom fit to his arm. Or thumping away on that wash tub bass as he and his friend on the fiddle would play jigs and reels or some bluegrass tunes. Seems I miss him a lot more now that I have kids.

Jaybird
jaybird
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jaybird » Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:34 am

>I've got 6 kids (all boys from 18 -2 yrs)
>and I'm pretty sure that I know what causes it now.

I was pretty stunned when I got the news of our third offspring so I went out and bought a couple new special 20s to make myself feel better about things. Now I'm cool with it and look foward to a little early x-mas present. You must be a real busy guy with 6 kids. I've got two boys now one 4 one 1.5. They both seem to like the blues. My oldest one can already name almost all my favorite blues artists after hearing just a little of a song. He does seem to get a little ticked off when I play. I think it's because I'm not paying 100% attention to him. He's been getting into it a bit more lately. Both the kids seem to prefer straight harp tunes over the blues, go figure.

>If you've been playing harp for a year and a half you should
>be getting pretty good.

I have managed to impress a few of my friends with my playing.
jaybird
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jaybird » Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:37 am

>Whiskey and Sonny... works for me!
>Have you seen Tom Ball's Sonny Terry book?
>I'm pretty sure there's a link to it on his page:
>http://www.bassharp.com/tomball.htm
>
>Stevo

Just checked it out now. Looks very interesting. I'll have to check into it at the local music store or search online.

Thanks,
Jaybird
jaybird
Contributor
Contributor

Return to A Bit About You