hello I'm a new guy

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

hello I'm a new guy

Postby mudbelly » Sun Mar 31, 2002 2:53 pm

I have been lurking on this page for a while and I have decided to register and post. Seems like a great place.

I play several instruments, bass, guitar, reso, harp and tuba are my main ones.

Nice to meet ya'll.
mudbelly
Regular

RE: hello I'm a new guy

Postby ricochet » Sun Mar 31, 2002 7:47 pm

Welcome, mudbelly! :-)

What sort of stuff you play on that tuba?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby mudbelly » Sun Mar 31, 2002 8:20 pm

I am from east Texas, two hours north of Houston.

I have played tuba since I was 12. I'm 45 now. I was a music major in college, but did not finish. I get a tuba gig once a year may be, at a church or some sort of bandsmen reunion. A few months ago I sat in with a polka group play bass on some numbers, tuba on others.
mudbelly
Regular

Postby bosco » Mon Apr 01, 2002 12:02 am

Guitar, Reso and Harp won't raise any eyebrows around here but TUBA? That's just too cool. Like the nickname too, Mud. Welcome.

went down to the crossroads....
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mudbelly » Mon Apr 01, 2002 5:31 am

Thanks for the welcomes. I may not post too much but I enjoy lurking and learning from all on this board.

To give you an idea what I do I play bass at my church. My wife plays guitar. It is a catholic church, we do a bilingual English Spanish Mass.

I have a once a month lead guitar gig in a country band, it's a pretty informal gig, a dance in a gym, no practices we just show up and play. I am the newest group member, been doing it over a year now.

Did some busking at a local street festival this past weekend. Played slide on my reso, a little jug band style mandolin and dulcimer.

I'm not a pro, but I keep busy. Nice to know you guys.
mudbelly
Regular

Postby howlnwoof » Mon Apr 01, 2002 9:37 am

Hey , Mudbelly.
Check out the Chicago band "Devil In The Woodpile".they actually use a tuba to hold down the bottom end ...a really entertaining live band . They have a couple of cds out on
http://www.bloodshotrecords.com

Welcome aboard.....

I got a rich mans woman ...livin on a poor mans pay.........
howlnwoof
Regular

Postby mudbelly » Mon Apr 01, 2002 1:16 pm

I'll check em out. I am a fan of New Orleans brass band music, anyone heard of the Dirty Dozen or the Rebirth Brass Band.

Jazz Fest is coming up in New Orleans, good time to get a dose of this stuff.
mudbelly
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Apr 01, 2002 3:50 pm

Which sort of dulcimer, lap or hammered? I've picked and slid on a lap dulcimer since 1979, which is why I took to slide guitar, I reckon. :-)

ricochet
Regular

Postby mudbelly » Mon Apr 01, 2002 6:31 pm

It's a lap. Made by McSpadden in Mountain View Arkansas. I have had it quite a while, it was a gift from my parents one time. I have heard that there is no wrong way to play a dulicmer, you just pluck it. I mainly just kind of improvise on it making up instrumentals that I give names like "the 90lb catfish."

I have discovered that a small town about 50 miles from me has a dulcimer socity that meets once a month. Their ads say "rehersal at 6, performance at 7"

May be I will go and try to learn more.
mudbelly
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Apr 03, 2002 2:48 am

Cool! I play mine the old fashioned way, sliding on the melody strings with a "Noter," a little hardwood stick, and eschew the chord fretting stuff invented by 1960s folk guitarists. The bass strings are open drones, and retuning them puts the instrument into a different mode. Played this way, it's the easiest instrument in the world to play, except maybe a triangle or something like that. :-)

I also have a McNally "Strumstick," which is a compact dulcimer designed for hanging on a strap and playing guitar style, with the strings reversed for easy slide-fretting the melody with your finger.

ricochet
Regular

Return to A Bit About You