A compilation CD of ourselves for o

A place for the owners and managers of Big Road Blues to make general announcements to the members.

RE: A compilation CD of ourselves f

Postby david » Sat May 31, 2003 3:25 am

My recording capabilities are limited to going to the library to check out a casette recorder that looks like it came from an army surplus store.

I really am more comfortable with a team of horses (I raise and train them) than I am with a 'puter. Somehow I missed out on all the 'puter fad. I have one because my work requires it, and I treat it like I do my truck--its a necessary aggrevation.

And CAS: Should have known a woman on a blues site would drive a truck. You made my day.

;

;
;
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dfduck » Sat May 31, 2003 6:20 am

David,

I've been using computer nearly every day since 1969 and still don't know how to use them! That doesn't seem to stop me from running my mouth on the subject though :) I'm happy to try to help if I can.

Tape is better than a poke in the eye. In my experience a good quality Normal Bias tape is better than the more expensive High Bias which usually gives crisper highs but also seems to lose the low end.

I wonder if we shouldn't move this thread to another forum. Does it really belong in Announcments? "Primarily a place for the owners and managers of Big Road Blues to make general announcements to the members."

Duck
dfduck
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stumblin » Sat May 31, 2003 7:13 am

David,
Tape is not a problem. I'm sure that between us, me & Mousey can put this CD together.
If folks are going to send us tapes, they should state whether or not they want us to try to remove any tape hiss. I can do that here with a reasonable degree of success, and it's really no bother.
So send us your tapes.
In many ways, tape is preferable to MP3, as I think both Bluesmouse and myself are on 56k modems, so MP3s might never arrive if they're over 2Mb.
stumblin
Regular

Postby dfduck » Sat May 31, 2003 8:07 am

Stumblin,

I only have a 28k modem connection and don't see a few megs as a big problem. I figure about 10 minute a meg on my 28k connection. Using an FTP server to swap files will allow getting/sending them in several shorter sessions using FTP Resume. I'm just waiting for PappyJ to give the OK or not on using the "bigroadblues" name as the FTP login name and web page directory, and IRC channel name before I set them up. Maybe I should email him directly to ask?

Duck
dfduck
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stumblin » Sat May 31, 2003 9:30 am

"a few megs"
Duck,
I was thinking of the problems that can occur with emailing MP3s. Or any large-ish files for that matter. Some email service providers don't allow more than a couple of megs to be transferred. I've found this particularly when trying to send MP3s to people with hotmail accounts - they never recieve them.
But that's really not the point. What I was driving at is that persons who wish to contribute but don't have access to any digital recording or file compression gear can send us a tape.
Although an unqualified amateur, I've dealt with transferring tape recordings to my hard drive plenty of times, and can convert the result into most file types without much difficulty.
So, send us your tapes... (I think I already did that bit)
:)
stumblin
Regular

Postby dfduck » Sat May 31, 2003 4:51 pm

Stumblin,

I have had quite acceptible results in the past using a ghetto blaster (boom box for those politcally correct souls) headphone out to computer mic or line input (I forget which now). Getting the right volume is very touchy, but it can be done.

Start with the ghetto blaster volume Off then turn it up a very VERY little at a time till you find an acceptible volume.

Duck
dfduck
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluesmouse » Sat May 31, 2003 6:57 pm

Hi Duck-
So is it agreed then that I send my mailing address to everyone interested and then Stumblin and myself sort out the songs and send them on to you as a CD for your website? Just so that I know and then I can get things rolling. From that stage of things, Stumblin and I can then send out copies of the CD to people who have trouble downloading stuff.

Thanks,
bluesmouse.
P.S.- I hope the chat forum works out, that would be really cool.
bluesmouse
Regular

Postby dfduck » Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:53 pm

bluesmouse,

>So is it agreed then that I send my mailing address to
>everyone interested and then Stumblin and myself sort out
>the songs and send them on to you as a CD for your website?

Sounds like a plan. Except rather than send me a CD when the time comes I'll just give you the snail address of the server owner. That'd be easier than me spending hours uploading them at 28kbaud.

I set up the FTP server and web dir today. I was waiting to see if PappyJ had any objection to us using his "bigroadblues" name but never heard anything. And I don't think he could have any legal claims to owning the title of a Tommy Johnson song that is in the public domain. The web server has nothing on it at this point but a test page but he url is; http://cap.vapor.com/~bigroadblues/

The FTP server is set up and ready also with the login name bigroadblues. Two whom would I send the login password that could propegate it to (and only to) the appropriate brb members that want to use it for swapping tracks and uploading final projects?
Using ftp to swap tracks will solve any problems people have with ISPs (such as AOL) that limit email size. And mailing large file attachments causes a lot of bloat anyway, a 2M file would probably be a 2.5 or 3Mb email.

>P.S.- I hope the chat forum works out, that would be really
>cool.

It is set up. If you don't already have an IRC client I suggest downloading the free XChat client from http://www.xchat.org/ but mIRC or Pirch will work too for those that like to pay for software that doesn't work as well.
XChat comes preconfigured with a lot of IRC servers, you will see "ARCNet" listed. Choose the server closest to you. Or if using an other client a good server to start with is; server: us2.arcnet.vapor.com channel: #bigroadblues
After connecting to the server enter; /join #bigroadblues
You will probably see me (DFDuck) there and "Nightmare". Nightmare is a "bot", a program.. there as a placeholder for the channel, and it performs certain tasks for the channel users. More on that if/when it is appropriate. If I don't say "hi" right away you can get my attention by entering my name "DFDuck" and it will alert me and if I'm awake I'll respond. I am usually at the console from about 10:am till 4:am PST.

IRC: server: us2.arcnet.vapor.com channel: #bigroadblues
WWW: http://cap.vapor.com/~bigroadblues/
FTP: cap.vapor.com login: bigroadblues password: <ask me>

Duck
dfduck
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluesmouse » Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:11 pm

Thanks Duck, you the man! I'll start e-mailing people my address over the next few days.
As to who should distribute/receive the password etc. I don't know how we could work out a system for that- anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks for the chat forum, I'll look into that over the next few days too :)

Rusty- are you still okay for doing the artwork buddy?

b-mouse.
bluesmouse
Regular

Postby dfduck » Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:17 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jun-01-03 AT 06:20 PM (EST)] I guess people can just email me for the login password, and I'll try to verify they are indead BRB members; duckblues@dfduck.no-ip.com

If you don't already have an FTP (File Transfer Protocol) client, many windows users like CuteFTP... because it's cute. I don't know offhand where to get that but I'm sure if you search download.com.com you can find it. The one I use is called WS_FTP LE and is available at http://www.ipswitch.com/Support/index.html I like it because it is free, not cute, easy to figure out, and does everything I need. If you're a Linux user I'm sure you already know how to FTP; start menu gFTP, or ncftp in a console. Mac users, sorry I can't help ya.

Once logged into the FTP server for easy organization it would probably be a good idea to create a subdirectory using your BRB username and upload your works in progress that that directory rather than everyone putting unfinished work in the main directory.

And if you can remember please don't use SPACES in directory and filenames, instead use an underscore. Not all apps deal with spaces in dir/filenames very elegantly.

I have created a "Final_Projects" subdirectory for uploading completed projects too. A good name convention would probably be somthing like Your_Nickname-My_Cool_Song.mp3 and it would be cool to also upload Your_Nickname-My_Cool_Song.txt with a brief description of the song, artist, equipment used, etc.

I wrote a brief "readme.txt" in the main FTP dir with quicky reminders of the above.

I created a quicky header graphic for http://cap.vapor.com/~bigroadblues/index.html There's nothing else there yet other than a link back to this forum. I'm no graphic artist so if anyone wants to create a "nice" graphic for it go for it and I'll happily replace mine with it.

Thats all I can think of right now with my flu fevered brain and 100 degree weather out.

Roast Duck with Rice
dfduck
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:29 pm

As for the Mac, there are free FTP clients out there, and you can do FTP (sorta) through Mozilla and (gack) Internet Explorer. But I LOVE Interarchy for this stuff. It's shareware and well worth the fee. You can use it free for a while, then it starts buggin' ya.
ricochet
Regular

Postby bluesmouse » Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:19 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jun-03-03 AT 04:20 AM (EST)]If anyone wants to send in a song, you don't have to post it up using the computer. If it is more convenient then you can send your song to me using good old-fashioned snail mail. If you are interested then just e-mail me or add yourself to this thread and I will send you my mailing address. I will send out my mailing address over the next few days to the people already on this thread.

Thanks,
bluesmouse
Regular

Postby srvlives » Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:22 am

Count me in... count me out!

Unless I can get Li'l Josh Ryder and Wailin' Luke to co-operate, I won't be gettin' anything done for a while... :(

See you at the
[link:www.users.bigpond.net.au/ozfest2003/|Big Road Blues OzFest 2003]
srvlives
Regular

Postby kwill » Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:44 am

Mouse - I'm working up my courage so better count me in (at least for now).
kwill
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lone dawg » Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:37 pm

Hi Mouse,

I'll be getting a Boss Br1180CD to use for a while, and would be happy to send you a cd from it. What type of a time frame are we looking at?
lone dawg
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements