A compilation CD of ourselves for o

A place for the owners and managers of Big Road Blues to make general announcements to the members.

RE: A compilation CD of ourselves f

Postby jellyroll baker » Sun May 25, 2003 11:11 am

>>and give this compilation a burl. What's the time frame for getting > my stuff together???
>
>Ah ha,
> "burl"..."burl"!!...the time frame is to tell us which of
>your parents came from Bonnie Scotland .
>
>arf,
> MacHoundog

Beggorah, on my dear mothers side alone I have 53 second cousins which makes me as Irish as No. 10 Eccles Street. There may however be some Scottish somewhere along the line as evidenced by my past taste for cheap whiskey and liking for deep fried Mars Bars.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mgiubert » Sun May 25, 2003 2:05 pm

Hi Blousmouse

I like your project !
I don't have time to record new stuff these days but I have
some tracks posted here
http://members.xoom.virgilio.it/striders/Blues.htm
You can use them if you want

cheers

M.G.
mgiubert
Regular

Postby bluesmouse » Sun May 25, 2003 2:06 pm

Deep-fried Mars Bars..oh yeah!!

Nice one Jellyroll, glad you're onboard. I should imagine you've got about two or three months to sort a song out but don't sweat it, I'll wait for anyone who wants to be involved.

Which brings me to my next point which I'd like some advice on from you all please. For me personally, being the Luddite that I am, this whole project would be a lot easier doing things the old-fashioned way whereby everybody sends me their songs on a CD through the post and then I mail out the finished compilation to anyone who is interested. I thought I could e-mail people the sleeve notes/artwork for them to print out themselves to cut down costs but I'd still have to charge a small fee to cover the cost of the CD and post and packaging. I don't like having to do this but I would have to if a lot of people wanted copies as I have very limited funds right now :( Anyways, I know some people might not want to pay even such a small fee and may think that the whole process would take too to long this way.
So can anyone tell me if the online MP3 route is feasible for us whereby we all just post up our songs on a special site for others to download? I know nothing about this sort of thing so I'd appreciate some info please- If I set up a site, would I have enough space for all your songs? Would you be able to put the song up yourself on my site in some way or would I have to do it? The only thing that worries me about this method is the copyright issue if some of us do covers- its all a bit more blatant if we do this over the 'net. I suppose I could still mail the CD out to people with slow servers.

So what do you all think- postage to me vs. posting them up as MP3's on a site? And is it possible for me to set up a site for us to do this?

Sorry about the length of these posts!

bluesmouse.
bluesmouse
Regular

Postby bluesmouse » Sun May 25, 2003 2:08 pm

Thanks McGuibert! You're post must have just got in there before me :)
bluesmouse
Regular

Postby stumblin » Sun May 25, 2003 2:16 pm

"If I set up a site, would I have enough space for all your songs?"

If you try looking at bravenet or bravepages free hosting, you'll find that they give you 100mb of free net-space. Which is just over a CD's worth of space. Plenty for a compilation of our music.
The main problem is likely to be bandwidth, the more people try to download sizeable files, such as MP3s from the site, and the more frequently people access the site, the more likely it is to exceed it's bandwidth allocation. If this happens, most freehosting outfits will close down your site for a penalty period (usually a couple of hours). This is frustrating for both site-owners and site-users. Broadly speaking, as I understand the concept, bandwidth is a measurement of amount of data transferred over a given period of time.
Perhaps Mr.DFDuck will be able to help us out here, as he seems to be quite knowledgeable about this kind of stuff.
stumblin
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun May 25, 2003 3:55 pm

Deep fried Mars bars?! You sound like a descendent of Elvis!
ricochet
Regular

Postby bluesmcgoo » Sun May 25, 2003 10:47 pm

Hey Bluesmouse -

I really like the idea of a webpage where these songs can be posted. I'd prefer to do that, than the CD. Like the Avalon Guitar Sampler Site.

http://www.randsullivan.com/IGSSAMPLER/ ... ISTING.htm

However, I'm certainly no expert on how to do it, much less the ins and outs of it. Also, there would be an ongoing cost to do it. What would that be? Would it be cost effective? Maybe Duck could offer some advice to us about how to go about it. Duck?

As for the CD idea, - if we decide to go that way - I'm more than willing to help offset the costs for the CD production. I would imagine that everybody that participates will feel the same way. Ain't nuttin free!

Besides, this is such a cool idea, it seems to me that shelling out a few dollars for the CD is a small price to pay.
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby srvlives » Sun May 25, 2003 11:13 pm

Put me down, though who'd pay even a small amount to listen to me is beyond me!

At least you can skip a cd.....

See you at the
[link:www.users.bigpond.net.au/ozfest2003/|Big Road Blues OzFest 2003]
srvlives
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Tue May 27, 2003 12:14 am

I'm in too!

The only problem with Mp3s is that the quality isn't as good as CD audio; I'd happily do either, but would prefer to either go CD or go Mp3, and not mp3 to CD.

The cost of mailing a CD is not very much. All you need is a padded mailer. You shouldn't include jewel cases, as they can get cracked and scratch the CD. I sent a couple CDs to Sandy in the UK for not very much.

I'd also be happy to do up artwork for the CD/jewel case with the liner notes; I've only really done one other CD before, but I did a bang up job, if I do say so myself, and I have experience with graphic design.

ramble ramble ramble
I got ramblin' on my mind.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby chillywilly » Tue May 27, 2003 2:26 am

Bluesmouse and all y'all,
This is a great idea. I haven't yet recorded a damn thing and am probably not worthy to join in on the project but it seems like everybody is willing to forgive that kind of thing. It would be tremendous fun, and fun is the best thing to have, so count me in.

I'd really like to lay down a track on this mess. If nothing else it would be good laughs and good family.

out,
His Chillness.
chillywilly
Regular

Postby bluesmouse » Tue May 27, 2003 10:17 am

Good to have you all on board!

I agree with Rustyslide- I think mailing the compilation out gives us more options because we can make it a two/three CD set if enough people get involved, whereas we'd have limited space on an internet site and the sound would be a bit cruddy. It would be great if you could do the artwork Rusty -thank you- I was just thinking we need someone who would be kind enough to do that (my own artistic skills are about as limited as my computer ones! :( ) I guess you could make something up, e-mail it on to me and then I could e-mail that out to people for them to print off themselves? Or we could put the artwork on a site for people to print off themselves?

So anyways, I'm for the mailing route myself- perhaps we could bounce around an idea whereby there is one distributor in each of the main countries that most of us BRBer's come from- Australia, America, and the UK? (my apologies if I've left out another majority area! Please do volunteer for the task if you fell underepresented). I thought that this might be cheaper as I would have to charge more postage overseas and would have to set up some universal method of payment for the postage and packaging costs, whereas this way you could just send a cheque to the distributor in/near your own country.
So are there any kind volunteers at this provisional stage, with access to a CD burner, who wouldn't mind being responsible for mailing out the CD(s)? I need one representative in America and one in Australia please (I can handle the UK end of things).

Thanks again everybody,
bluesmouse.
bluesmouse
Regular

Postby bluesmouse » Tue May 27, 2003 10:23 am

Actually maybe at least two reps in America please, I guess quite a few of you BRBer's are from there and one distributor might get a bit overwhelmed.

Thanks,
bluesmouse
bluesmouse
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Tue May 27, 2003 2:10 pm

Yeah, distribute masters to the continents, who can then send copies to others, who can then send to others, etc.

As this gets closer to completion, we can work an exact distribution scheme. Anyone have a large world map?

ramble ramble ramble
I got ramblin' on my mind.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby david » Tue May 27, 2003 5:22 pm

Hot damn! I can't wait to hear this.

Personally, people would be more willing to pay NOT to hear me play. Add that to the fact that I have no way to record myself (so I am the only one who doesn't know how bad I really am) and even if I did, I have no idea how to send the recording over a computer.

All the above means the rest of you are safe and I am interested in the compilation when its ready.

Given time frame questions, etc., I would suggest that as soon as one CD is filled it be made available and the next one begun. This could become a regular, on-going feature of this board.

I also vote for mailing them out. I have been trying to download Lovatt's recording for ten minutes now, and its 38% done. At this rate I could never hear the whole CD.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mgiubert » Tue May 27, 2003 6:33 pm

Am I the only one from Italy ??????

Cheers
mgiubert
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements