BRB CD ranking (proposal)

A place for the owners and managers of Big Road Blues to make general announcements to the members.

BRB CD ranking (proposal)

Postby purplehaze » Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:27 pm

Hi ya,
I haven't got my copy yet, but what if all who listen the CD try to "rank" the 10 "best" tracks according to their personal likes (or dislikes) so we can make a kind of Top10...

I think that would be fun to do.

If you like the idea, post in here your votes, or maybe email me them and I'll post a kind list updated with the new votes... so then the votes are confidential and noone risks to lose some friends hehe

my email is:
dmurgell (at) hotmail (dot) com

Mmmm I'll try to get a fantastic prize for the winner if this goes on.

As a rule, I'd say anyone can vote for his/her own track (I'm sure anyone would have done that anyway.. :P)
purplehaze
Regular

RE: BRB CD ranking (proposal)

Postby purplehaze » Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:16 pm

Okay,
your vote should be a list of the tracks you like, please in strict preference order (the list can be as long as you want, you can list all the tracks).

I'll give 10 points to the 1st song on your list, 8 points to the 2nd, 6 to the 3rd, 4 to the 4th, 2 to the 5th and one point to all the other songs you list on your vote...

Then points will be counted and get to a final list with the TOTAL SCORE for each track... and winner gets a prize (still to be confirmed)
purplehaze
Regular

Postby chick french » Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:46 pm

I dunno, ego's are fragile,(ouch)

cf
chick french
Regular

Postby purplehaze » Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:53 pm

>I dunno, ego's are fragile,(ouch)

So are guitar strings and we all pull'n'pick them.... :D
but, feel free to vote or not to vote...
also can ask me not to list your track on the Top10 or...
whatever... it's just a thing I thought could be fun.. so if anyone doesn't like it I'll do whatever to make this person happy too

mmmm hey you, why this devilish smile when I say "whatever" ?? :D
purplehaze
Regular

Postby badfinger » Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:15 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-16-03 AT 09:23 AM (EST)]Jeeze...

Not only do we have to have the board stuffed with threads about "Who Is The Greatest Female/Male/Indifferent Vocalist/Guitarist/Kazoo Player..." (Yawn-yawn) but now this!

OK - how about also ranking "The best (or worst) copy of the copy of the copy that someone made on their pc... Points given/deducted for frequency range capture, introduced noise and distortion, volume linearity and cheapest 'bargain-price' disks used for the 'pass-along' copies?

Casuistry, thy name is Big Road!

ps: Has anybody paid heed to the labelling of this "Announcements" forum? It is designated: "Primarily a place for the owners and managers of Big Road Blues to make general announcements to the members." If this were observed, I wouldn't waste so much time looking for the (possibly) important announcement that never materialises!

bf
badfinger
Regular

Postby boz » Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:46 pm

D I T T O !!!!!!
boz
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stumblin » Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:00 pm

"I agree with everybody"!
I can understand why some might think this is a neat idea. Also, I can see why others might not.
It would be a shame to see the BRB CD become the focus of a popularity contest.
Why don't we wait until more folks have heard it, then let them give their opinions in a designated thread?
stumblin
Regular

Postby purplehaze » Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:27 pm

ok, I'd just made the proposal.. if people want we can do it, if none likes the idea we can spend our time in doing other things
purplehaze
Regular

Postby bluesmouse » Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:10 pm

I agree with Stumblin- lets just all talk about it informally in a designated thread once more people have the CD.
bluesmouse
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:11 pm

An interesting notion, but-

It was my understanding that this CD was purely a friendly thing- a chance to hear each other's playing, get a sense of who everybody is, musically. Of COURSE, people will rank the songs- we all do that to some degree- but...

Lets just say that if I thought it was a contest, I wouldn't have sent unmastered tracks.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stumblin » Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:24 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-16-03 AT 11:26 AM (EST)]"Lets just say that if I thought it was a contest, I wouldn't have sent unmastered tracks."
And I'd still be playing the same damn song in the vain hope of achieving the "perfect take"!

PS. I just noticed how many posts I've made. Sorry that most of them have been stupid.
Still, 666, eh?
Mwah-hah-hah etc...
stumblin
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:49 pm

The devil you say!
ricochet
Regular

Postby david » Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:25 pm

If (as I hope) there will be forthcoming volumes of the BRB CD, I would hate to see it become a competition sport and everyone feel like you had to have professional recording equipment, etc. to send something in.

F-U-N Can you say that?

I would like to see it be a format in which us wankers and those who are doing it for real throw in together just 'cause we love the music and like hearing each other.

;;
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mgiubert » Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:29 pm

>F-U-N Can you say that?

Oh yes !
No competition please !

M.G.
mgiubert
Regular

Postby stumblin » Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:28 pm

Oh yes, fun for me too please :)
PH, looks like your idea hasn't met with very much support. But never mind, it was worth running it by everyone though, just to see what people thought.
I'm sure there'll be a fair bit of chit-chat about the songs once the number of people who've heard them grows a bit more.
stumblin
Regular

Next

Return to Announcements