RE: out of order

Ideas, likes, dislikes, recommendations, and opinions regarding the Big Road Blues web site and forums.

Postby ricochet » Sun May 26, 2002 6:22 pm

I often miss replies because I tend to click open a new folder and hit the "End" button to get the latest post. It's confusing if the last one at the bottom was posted on February 25, 2000 or some such! Then I have to go back and scroll down looking for posting dates to find the current one. It took me a while to figure out that there actually were new posts, not just some server bug bringing old dead threads back as current topics of the day. (I'm slow that way.) I'd prefer having them in chronological order, but with the "In reference to post #x" annotation.

I think the notification for private messages could be better. I was missing those altogether till someone E-mailed me and told me they'd been messaging me without response. I still am slow catching them.
ricochet
Regular

Postby badfinger » Sun May 26, 2002 8:50 pm

Agree about the "Private Message" thingy, Ric. Indeed I must have a look now. On the other matter, you will see below my new approach (I added it to my signature thing).

bf
badfinger
Regular

Postby badfinger » Sun May 26, 2002 9:22 pm

Hey - I altered my signature, this evening, to include the message about out-of-order posts, and it has changed the message on all th old posts as well!!

bf
badfinger
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon May 27, 2002 1:37 am

bf, my old guy in the rocker shows up on my old posts as well. On my earliest posts, my sig line's doubled. :)
ricochet
Regular

Postby drmojo » Mon May 27, 2002 4:03 am

Hmmm. I did some changing, frankly, in an effort to remove the large threaded section on the forum page -- and it looks as if something has changed that I wasn't expecting to change.

I'm pretty sure it can be put back -- if I remember what I changed! :)

Anyway, it might make more sense to have the things in order so the most recent posting, regardless of its position, is at the bottom.

Lemme know.

Moj
drmojo
Regular

Postby srvlives » Mon May 27, 2002 6:22 am

My .02c, I found that the list of threads with the number of when they were posted and the date quite easy to figure out. What about when you click on new threads, you get the new forum topics where posts have been made and then only the new posts which have been made.

Now you click on 'read new' and you get the new topics, but all the posts.

'I use heavy strings, tune low and floor it. Floor it, that's technical talk' SRV
srvlives
Regular

Postby badfinger » Mon May 27, 2002 12:03 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-27-02 AT 08:03 AM (CST)]Eh?

bf
badfinger
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon May 27, 2002 2:49 pm

Moj, if you look at http://templeofblues.com/ they have a great way of handling lengthy threads IMO. On the topics page each topic is listed in chronological order with the latest at the top, and the long ones have page numbers beside the topic so you can click straight to the last page or any other you desire. The server at http://guitar.net/ breaks long threads into pages, too, but you can't access page numbers until you've clicked on the topic and opened Page 1. That really stinks!
ricochet
Regular

Postby srvlives » Mon May 27, 2002 7:11 pm

So this is how you get 458 posts?!

'I use heavy strings, tune low and floor it. Floor it, that's technical talk' SRV
srvlives
Regular

Postby badfinger » Mon May 27, 2002 8:34 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-27-02 AT 04:35 PM (CST)]Yep!

Took me a while to figure out what you meant.

You have a point?

bf
badfinger
Regular

Postby drmojo » Mon May 27, 2002 8:34 pm

The Temple of the Blues uses a different forum system than this -- and I admit I do like it quite a bit. The problem is, to get the thing you either have to license it for $200 a year or have this company host your website for way too much a month. Switching or licensing it (if I had the $$, which I don't) would kill everything you see in this forum -- it would be starting over from scratch.

However, I'm happy to sell this entire site to anyone who comes up with a reasonable offer and not have to worry about any of it.

Moj
drmojo
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon May 27, 2002 11:24 pm

You're doing a fine job, Moj! And I like the new page numbers! :)
ricochet
Regular

Postby srvlives » Tue May 28, 2002 6:46 am

You have a point?

Yeah, but it's on top of my head!

srvlives
Regular

Postby badfinger » Tue May 28, 2002 10:51 am

SRV - Good on yer, mate!

Moj,
No, don't sell it! Don't like that temple place, anyway. It's all a bit twee, with smilies at every comma or line break (or so it seems).

No matter what I've said about the new colours etc, this site's got a good 'dirty' feel about it - as it should be.

Way back when I first found your site (old one) I was quite taken by the idea: "Grab the blues by the balls - play electric slide at full blast, at midnight..." (I don't recall the exact words, but it was something like that.)

And that's what I feel we have here - blues and blues-guitar with warts and pubic hair, none of the prissy stuff we find elsewhere.

Let's keep that way!

bf
badfinger
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue May 28, 2002 12:58 pm

I brought up TOB only as an example of a nice format IMO for keeping track of posts, which Dr. Mojo has now implemented here. There are some nice chaps over there, but there's very little activity and very few players active on the board. The only two consistently active threads there are one on "what's on your CD now" and one on blues trivia which can get pretty arcane.
ricochet
Regular

Return to Suggestion Box and Opinions