New Chatware

Ideas, likes, dislikes, recommendations, and opinions regarding the Big Road Blues web site and forums.

New Chatware

Postby mtblues » Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:39 am

Pappy, thanks for giving us new chatware to test, but I think Mega Crawler, even with its little glitches, is preferable. Seems to be easier to follow the discussion, and there are a few more options. Just my opinion.

MtBlues
mtblues
Regular

RE: New Chatware

Postby bosco » Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:57 am

PappyJ-
I have volunteered to speak for the nine BRB members on the chat tonight...It is unanimous that the new chatroom is much less user friendly than the old one, in spite of the random problems experienced before. Among the shortcomings on the new chat,the following;

1. New posts appear at the top of the page, forcing one to follow the conversation in reverse from normal, from bottom to top.

2. Chat window cannot be maximized and only 8 lines of dialog are visible. Much is missed in trying to follow the conversation and there is no way to scroll back far enough to catch up.

3. There is an auto-logout feature, where chatters are auto booted after 4 minutes w/o a post. This caused many more problems than were experiences before.

4. No Avatars available.(A minor issue, but diminishes the fun.)

5. Have to click on the talk cell each time before typing or the chat client would automatically enter a post of Name>just sitting here<.

Would you please switch the chat client back to the Webmaster that we had previously... Despite the intermittent problems, it was head and shoulders above for ease of use. Thanks for letting us try out another service and for keeping the best interest of the BigRoad membership in mind.

Bosco
Blueswriter
Mt.Blues
Lummox
LoneDawg
Slide6
HashTaff
SRVLives
HeyHey
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby blueswriter » Mon Jan 20, 2003 4:02 pm

I'll log in even though Bosco has already spoken for the chat group. While it's always nice to sit back and talk blues with the Big Road gang, it wasn't quite as high-spirited as was with the other chatware. There's no heading for a topic, as the other had, and while we might not have stayed on the chosen topic, at least it was there to remind us. The only problem I encountered before was that it was sometimes slow getting aboard, in addition to the occasional boot, but there were more options and it generally made for a better time.

BW
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby srvlives » Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:33 am

Ditto paps!

It's a rare occasion to catch up with my brothers in the chat room, pity it was a bit screwy :(

thanks for the effort though......

'Stradawhovious!? Homer Simpson
srvlives
Regular

Postby pappyj » Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:21 pm

I have switched back to the old chat client. Most of the problems can be addressed and changed on the new one - I'll work on that and see if it can be made better.

Regards,
PappyJ
pappyj
Site Admin

Postby bosco » Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:07 pm

Thanks, Pappy! :D
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby alexjay » Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:09 am

The last several weeks, I tried but failed to connect to the chat (I was busy tonight; sorry). Every time I got to the chat, it would connect me, then disconnect me immediately--so if some "Guest" popped in and out a zillion times, that was me, trying to get in with you people ...
alexjay
Regular

Postby dfduck » Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:17 am

Just use a "real" IRC client program rather than a <shudder> Java one to get to the chat room (IRC channel); server: backpack.webmaster.com port: 7000 channel: #BigRoadBlues. You have to figure out how to register your Nick with their NickServe, and all that mess, before you can even join the channel though.

Someone said they kept getting kicked every 40 seconds... thats because you have to Register your Nick with the server's NickServe bot, which kills you if you don't Register within 40 seconds. Don't ask me how... (I have written a number of IRC bots over the years, but hate "using" them.)

Some of us are meeting, at no specific days/times so far, on another small IRC network (which lacks all the script kiddies trying to constantly hack you, and spam bots, that the larger IRC networks all have) and is detailed elsewhere on the BRB forums. Some coming to this other place have said that the Java irc client you're using either doesn't work for them or even crashes thier computers.

Duck
dfduck
Contributor
Contributor

Postby templeofblues » Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:40 am

> Just use a "real" IRC client program rather than a
><shudder> Java one to get to the chat room (IRC channel);

While I agree that a thin IRC software client is perhaps the cleanest route, most folks - especially non-ITsavvy people - will not have the slightest clue on how to successfully configure their IRC software, connect to the appropriate channel and do this on a regular basis. From that point, a Java client that integrates cleanly with an existing membership database (such as the BRB membership system) would be the ideal system.

We don't want to have to teach all BRBers a new relatively complex method simply to be able to chat.... IMHO, of course.

eBuddha
templeofblues
Regular

Postby houndog » Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:56 am

Hello,
us simple country folk use Yahoo...if it is good enough for randy teenagers with too much disposable income ...hell's teeth it will do me :D
http://messenger.yahoo.com/

Trouble is that Oz and Britland get into sync with a kind of night and evening rotation easier than our pals in the US do.

adios,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Postby bosco » Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:59 am

>Trouble is that Oz and Britland get into sync with a kind of
>night and evening rotation easier than our pals in the US
>do.

Lovat-

Give us a clue as to what time you are hooking up and some of us will try to join you...unless of course it is 4:00 A.M. here!

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby houndog » Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:54 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Sep-29-03 AT 04:56 PM (EST)]Hello Bosco,
I generally have a natter with Taffy the Toober on weekdays at 7am.Sometimes SRVL too.

I usually have a wee arf with Blinds on a sat am and I have seen live pics of Blind's organ too.

Here is a time zone hooji.
http://liftoff.msfc.nasa.gov/Academy/Ro ... e-gmt.html

http://liftoff.msfc.nasa.gov/Academy/Ro ... sSmall.GIF

Zat help Iceman.

adios,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:50 pm

>I usually have a wee arf with Blinds on a sat am and I have
>seen live pics of Blind's organ too.

We've been warned about chat rooms of that sort.
ricochet
Regular

Postby blinds » Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:09 am

I reckon it' be great if there was voice in the room and the java was dropped completly but I spose it would be a nightmare to setup.
blinds
Regular

Return to Suggestion Box and Opinions