PappyJ: Better Search Engine Placem

Ideas, likes, dislikes, recommendations, and opinions regarding the Big Road Blues web site and forums.

PappyJ: Better Search Engine Placem

Postby dfduck » Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:20 am

Pappy,

You could get better search engine placement if you added meta "description" and "keywords" tags inside the head of the coast2coastmusic web pages.

By better placement I mean searching google for "harmonica store" you could come up on page 1 rather than page 2.

Plus most search engine spiders grab the description and use it on the link, so it is what you want rather than just some text they grabbed from the middle of your page somewhere. Looks more professional that way too.

Just a thought.
dfduck
Contributor
Contributor

RE: PappyJ: Better Search Engine Pl

Postby rustyslide » Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:49 pm

I thought Google didn't use Meta tags much - but rather who links to you and the title of the links.

Most of the other search engines use Meta tags, but what's the point when you've got Google?

ramble ramble ramble
I got ramblin' on my mind.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby pappyj » Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:17 pm

Good point - actually I thought we had them, we did at one time, but I think they must have gone missing when the site was redesigned a year or so back. I'll see about adding them, thanks!
Regards,
PappyJ
pappyj
Site Admin

Postby templeofblues » Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:02 am

>I thought Google didn't use Meta tags much - but rather who
>links to you and the title of the links.
>
>Most of the other search engines use Meta tags, but what's
>the point when you've got Google?

Indeed, Rusty, you're right on the ball. Meta tags used to be extremely important as far as search engine positioning went, but these days it's less of a factor. Too many folks with highly lucrative businesses to market discovered ways of seeding their meta tags with high-worth keywords to skew the actual content of their pages.

So, like you say, the trick is actually content and how many people link to your page. Of course, if we are discussing Google (the only search engine really worth discussing right now from a POV of a webmaster) then it's also the quality of sites linking to you.

Futile to have thousands of links to you if they're all cheap sites linking to you. Better to have a couple of dozen high quality (as ranked, pageranked, by Google) than thousands of disposable link sites.

As an example, Google only seems to show approximately [a href="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=+site%3Awww.bigroadblues.com+blues"]160 links[/a] to BRB in their index. We all know that there are actually thousands of pages of high quality blues content here at BRB, especially in the discussion forums. It's probably because the discussion board used at BRB creates links in a way that Google robots do not want to index and add to their search engine. It's a shame, because it means a lot of this wonderful content is simply invisible to most Internet searchers.

Again, content is key, but also making the content easily "findable", in particular by the major search engines.

eBuddha
templeofblues
Regular

Postby blinds » Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:15 am

Pappy,

From the read new list the link always sends me to the 1st page of the thread is there anyway for it to send you to the last...?

Just a suggestion
blinds
Regular

Return to Suggestion Box and Opinions