How to Use the Chat Room

Ideas, likes, dislikes, recommendations, and opinions regarding the Big Road Blues web site and forums.

How to Use the Chat Room

Postby skibumdog » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:21 am

Ok, I tried to use the Chat Room one Sunday nite

I clicked on the link, and it said I was on, and this box came up with all these little boxes with letters in them

Is there a "how to" section on what to do next??
skibumdog
Regular

RE: How to Use the Chat Room

Postby costa » Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:23 pm

After too many failed attempts, I don't even bother trying anymore.

Costa

...blow your harmonica, son.
costa
Regular

Postby blueswriter » Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:19 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-14-03 AT 04:26 PM (EST)]It's really not that hard, but it does take a bit of patience. When you click on the chat icon at the Big Road home page, wait a few minutes for the chat box to load. If you're the first one there, it recognizes you as the overseer of the chat discussion (provided others join in) and that's probably the box that had all the letters and stuff. Just minimize that and pay no attention to it. I never have.

Anyway, and this is more for Costa, once the chat box opens, there's a space at the bottom where you type your messages. First, pick a name (let's use Bluesfog as a for-instance) and type it in the message box and hit enter. Unless the name you've chosen is already registered, you'll be known as Bluesfog. DO NOT type a message (such as "Hello, I'm here") before picking a chat identity (name)... otherwise, you'll be dealing with all sorts of issues. Once you have chosen your name and hit the enter key, your name should show up in the right hand column. From there, you should be ready to chat away, again, as long as someone else is in the room. If you're alone for a while, talk to yourself or play some blues until someone shows up. I usually drop in around 9:30 (US EST) and I'm always looking to talk blues. If Bosco's there, don't ask if he's wearing pants, that just takes you into a world of lunacy you're better off not entering... unless armed with proper medication. It's been slow (dead) of late, so it'd be nice to see a gang there this Sunday.

Hope to see you...

BW
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluesmouse » Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:48 pm

What time is that in UK time then? I might try and get there.
bluesmouse
Regular

Postby hashtaff » Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:59 am

>What time is that in UK time then? I might try and get
>there.
This is a useful link to find the time anywhere in the world.

http://www.worldtimeserver.com

"No Time For Jive"
hashtaff
Contributor
Contributor

Postby hashtaff » Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:13 am

And, as an alternative some of us here on the BRB have found Yahoo Messenger to be pretty effective.
If you sign on to yahoo (free)
http://www.my.yahoo.com
and download the messenger software (free also)
http://messenger.yahoo.com/
and register as "friends" all the yahoo user id's you know, when you are logged on and browsing the internet the messenger box alerts you as to which of your friends is on line and a simple click of the mouse give you instant chat to any of them ar all in an instant chat room. There is no fixed time to chat (unless you arrange it prior) and you know at any one time who is or isn't on line. My yahoo id is drrobjones - feel free to give it a whirl.

"First feel really bad. Or really good. The point is to feel" doc Mojo
hashtaff
Contributor
Contributor

Postby barbequebob » Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:51 am

If you're getting booted out frequently, you need to download java, and it's a free download from Sun Microsystems http://www.sun.com because Microsoft no longer supports Java
barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Suggestion Box and Opinions