Bass Conference - Do we want one?

Ideas, likes, dislikes, recommendations, and opinions regarding the Big Road Blues web site and forums.

Bass Conference - Do we want one?

Postby costa » Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:57 pm

PappyJ is all for creating a blues bass conference as long as there is enough interest, so speak up if you want one.
There are tons of things to discuss even for you non bass players out there, so don’t fear…

Costa

That's right, sufferin'; just like you're sufferin'. Sufferin' Mind. Here we go now.
costa
Regular

RE: Bass Conference - Do we want on

Postby barbequebob » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:25 pm

I think that's a great idea and way too many people are under the mistaken impression that blues on a bass is not much more than a simple walking pattern, but there's clearly more to it than that. Like drummers, bass players in blues are ALWAYS in high demand, far higher than guitars, keys, harmonicas or anything else combined because along with the drummer, a bad bass player, just as much as a bad drummer will do FAR more to hurt a band than a bad guitar, sax, keyboard or harmonica player will.
barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wyldchyld » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:36 pm

My vote is for a conference for bass players. It may be enough to get my lazy, worthless brother-in-law, NotSonHouse, to start posting here again.
The man CAN play bass. He tries to play guitar as well, but not as well. He is constantly in demand to sit in with musicians in the St. Louis area. He mostly is a jazz bassist, but also can most definetely get down with some fine blues playing.
I know that he's a fount of knowledge on the thing. Music Theory and sight reading.
wyldchyld
Regular

Postby littleboyblue » Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:58 pm

I say yes to a bass forum. I think it's important we represent a rounded front. It also might result in people finding somebody to jam with.
littleboyblue
Regular

Postby chick french » Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:26 pm

Yes! Get Larry Taylor as the moderator!

cf
chick french
Regular

Postby mikedev » Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:39 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Dec-08-03 AT 03:40 PM (EST)]Yes - it might help me to find some in the UK!

It might even get me to pick up my son's bass occasionally.
mikedev
Regular

Postby boz » Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:41 pm

AYE!!!
boz
Contributor
Contributor

Postby barbequebob » Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:57 pm

Putting in guys like Larry Taylor, Bill Stuve, Ronnie James Webber, or even a New England area guy named Marty Ballou in this, oh my God!!
barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:42 am

Go for it!
ricochet
Regular

Postby costa » Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:07 am

Well, the response has been OK I guess. I'm sure once it's up (PappyJ's call of course) more of us will check in. I've thought this out a bit and have already come up with a million great topics including:

- Upright vs electric...
- Best blues bass records (oh how I would love to read this thread...)
- What ever happened to Big Crawford? Why did he play on the early Muddy tracks then just disappear? Where did he come from? Why does he kick so much ass yet is barely remembered? Who put the bomp in the bomp sha bomp?
- How do you keep your walking lines different enough to fool the bandleader into thinking you know what you're doing?
- Why does virtually every gig include a drunken guy telling you bass is easy since there are only four strings?
- Why do they make 6 string basses? Why would you even want a High C?
Does anyone make a Low-B that we can actually hear clearly? Why don't you buy a guitar?
- Why don't I ever shut up?

Costa

That's right, sufferin'; just like you're sufferin'. Sufferin' Mind. Here we go now.
costa
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:13 am

>- Upright vs electric...

I've been noticing upright electric basses being played by bluegrass sorts of late.
ricochet
Regular

Postby srvlives » Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:30 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Dec-10-03 AT 06:31 AM (EST)]>My vote is for a conference for bass players. It may be
>enough to get my lazy, worthless brother-in-law,
>NotSonHouse, to start posting here again.

Great!... that's all we need! :P

'I'd be glad to beat you if given the opportunity' Bluedawg
srvlives
Regular

Postby costa » Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:39 pm

>>- Upright vs electric...
>
>I've been noticing upright electric basses being played by
>bluegrass sorts of late.

I've noticed that too (even the occasional electric bass- blasphemy). I think the things are as ugly as can be, but lugging the upright around does get old pretty fast (especially since I don’t own a car). I’ve only tried one and found that it played just like a well set up upright, but sounded like a badly EQed electric. I’ll stick to the wood. :)

Costa

costa
Regular

Postby chick french » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:42 pm

Why do they make 6 string basses?

My question is "Why would someone buy a 6 string bass?" Show me someone that can play better than Ray Brown and I'll eat a 6 string bass. If I NEVER hear some sucker popping a bass string again it won't be long enough.

cf
chick french
Regular

Postby barbequebob » Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:52 pm

6 String basses are more for the fusion jazz school player who insists on playing lead bass and is often groove challenged, but I most certainly HAVE met 6 string bass players who defintely weren't of that stereotype!
barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Suggestion Box and Opinions