Facility for running polls

Ideas, likes, dislikes, recommendations, and opinions regarding the Big Road Blues web site and forums.

Facility for running polls

Postby badfinger » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:22 pm

Hey, Pappy.

How about the means of mounting/running a poll on the board, to be able to ask, say, "Who uses fingerpicks?"

Moderating would be essential, or we'll be inundated with the "Who's the best slide player/female singer/non-blues pop record..." kind of thing we suffer elsewhere.

Maybe the facility could be a controlled one, with suggested topics being submitted to, and accepted and posted by you. (?)
badfinger
Regular

RE: Facility for running polls

Postby tricone john » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:22 pm

Can I second that?
Good natured control is essential or all hell could break loose.
tricone john
Regular

Postby bosco » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:21 pm

Back in the early days of the BigRoad, Dr. Mojo had the ability to, and did, set up several polls for "Best Slide Player", "Best Harp Player", etc. in their respective forums. As I recall, they were controlled, only letting each registered member to vote once.
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stumblin » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:59 pm

I think we should put this to a vote.
I'm in favour of polls, but we should only be able to vote once.
stumblin
Regular

Postby blueswriter » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:13 pm

How about the means of mounting/running a poll on the board,
to be able to ask, say, "Who uses fingerpicks?"

Moderating would be essential, or we'll be inundated with
the "Who's the best slide player/female singer/non-blues pop
record..." kind of thing we suffer elsewhere.

Maybe the facility could be a controlled one, with suggested
topics being submitted to, and accepted and posted by you.(?)

I know I just recently returned after a lengthy absence, and I am not trying to stir up any hornet's nest, but if you feel as though you "suffer" with talk that doesn't revolve around playing, amplifiers, fingerpicks, and what-not, you aren't forced to participate in threads that revolve around vintage record labels or blues from an historical perspective. This forum should be an open invitation to anyone who wants to discuss blues, from any angle they prefer (within reason), without feeling as though they aren't wanted.
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby badfinger » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:38 pm

I never "suffer" long discussion on topics for which I have no interest; I would be surprised if anybody does.

No - what I was thinking here, as per my example (Who uses picks?), was a simple means of obtaining statistical info, without discussion.

I'm not suggesting that such a facility would, or could, replace discussion, and the exchange of ideas and opinions on, e.g., what picks are used, why and how/where obtained, but such discussions give little or no indication of how many of us actually use picks.

Having said that, I have now to admit to being somewhat at a loss as to the relevance of what you say above to the suggestion that a simple 'poll' facility might be useful.
badfinger
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:46 pm

Craig, as far as I'm concerned your influence was missed - and your opinions and input asked for, at least by me.

I'm not, personally, super keen on Polls, but that doesn't make having them a bad idea. I don't participate in the Trivia thread, either, and that seems pretty popular.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby badfinger » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:43 pm

I think that the best comment so far on whether or not we should have the means of conducting polls comes from Stumblin':

"I think we should put this to a vote."
badfinger
Regular

Postby ralph » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:11 pm

Reading the initial suggestion and subsequent comment, it seems obvious to me that bf is proposing the kind of thing seen on some other forums. A panel with 2, 3... (or whatever is required) squares for ticking (or as some would say, "checking").

I see no suggestion that this has anything to do with discussing old record labels and certainly cannot see how it might make anyone feel <<as though they aren't wanted>>. As to the bit about amplifiers and what-nots and being forced to participate in threads: I'm sorry, but I don't see the connection

Seems like a good idea.
ralph
Regular

Postby blueswriter » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:32 pm

I wasn't suggesting that polling capabilities wouldn't be useful - I think it's a great idea. What I was commenting on was your point about how we (as in the forum) "suffer" in some other discussions. If the forum is set up to accept polls, I'm curious if BF is suggesting that they only be open to certain questions meeting some form of criteria.
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby badfinger » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:24 am

" if BF is suggesting that they only be open to certain questions meeting some form of criteria"

That some form of control against polls and "vote-for-Joe" tables appearing all over the Conferences page (or elsewhere) like acne on a prepubescent face was something argued by someone else, somewhere else; I wasn't particularly bothered, myself, but it went in.

I feel that what I had in mind, by its very nature, would be self-regulating in style, and not metamorphose into just another form of "Who do you love?"; i.e., a quantative tool to augment the qualitative opinions expressed elsewhere.

As to "one member, one vote": I can't see that it matters too much, but then, I was thinking of subjects as politically insignificant as my example: Who among us actually uses fingerpicks? All the time? Some of the time? Never? If, however, it be foreseen that other, perhaps more invidious, uses might be made of the facility, then I suppose a one-vote-only control by cookie is simple enough - and, perhaps, the board manager's discretion on choice of subject might also then be desirable. But this seems to be an over-complication of the idea, and more than a wink at paranoia.

Meanwhile, I'd still genuinely like to know what portion of us uses fingerpicks... All the time...? Some of the time...? Never...?
badfinger
Regular

Postby stumblin » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:06 am

"Meanwhile, I'd still genuinely like to know what portion of us uses fingerpicks... All the time...? Some of the time...? Never...?"

Me too.
Perhaps we could also conduct a poll concerning plectrum-usage, and maybe one about BRBers' outside (non-blues) musical interests, I think that would be interesting.
Now, please excuse me, I have to check in the bathroom mirror in case I've got acne...
stumblin
Regular

Postby srvlives » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:08 am

I'd still genuinely like to know what portion of us uses fingerpicks

I only use my fingers... well, there was that one time I got a raisin stuck up there....

-------------------
Viscere bracis meis
srvlives
Regular

Postby pappyj » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:29 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-05 AT 10:29 AM (EST)]It took me a while to find it, but now it's turned on. When you go to the main page of a conference there should be a "Poll" link at the top with the other links.
Regards,
PappyJ
pappyj
Site Admin

Postby stumblin » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:58 pm

Cool. Thanks Pappy :)
stumblin
Regular

Next

Return to Suggestion Box and Opinions