Personal Topics

Ideas, likes, dislikes, recommendations, and opinions regarding the Big Road Blues web site and forums.

Personal Topics

Postby bruneau » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:15 pm

Hi everybody
I was thinking about something for few days now.
When I have something to say to Boz now I go to the prayers for boz thread and place a post. I know about the personal messages, email and all, but sometimes you want to say to somebody that is personal but not private. I was thinking about a topic where every member can place his topic with his name. If you have to show something to a person and you
think "he! that is just something for ..." you go to his topic and post it. Everybody can reply because it works just as other topics. You can post something urgent, something funny, whatever.
bruneau
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Personal Topics

Postby grady » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:43 pm

Count me out !!!!

My Personal Thread would be filled with Hate Mail,,,,LOL !!

If I want someone to talk sh*t to me,,,,I'll have a conversation with my Wife,,,Thank you very much.
:)
grady
Regular

Postby stumblin » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:47 pm

Suave, I can't think of any other word for it :+

As for personal topics, isn't that what email is for?
stumblin
Regular

Postby bruneau » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:52 pm

Grady

>My Personal Thread would be filled with Hate Mail,,,,LOL !!

You don't have to have a personal thread for that, we can do it in any thread !!! LOL
bruneau
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bruneau » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:02 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-16-05 AT 07:13 PM (EST)]Stumblin

Do you know every email of the members here, I don't.
Sometimes you need an email adress to send some photos, pictures, soundclips and so on but sometimes you have to ask or say something to a person that you easily can post at his personal thread.
Yesterday Lummo posted something in the topic "Another List" in Way off Topic - a topic about Fictional Characters and we did 5 or 6 post on Brian Eno in "Another List". You know how easy it is to go a complete other way in any topic than it started off with. I like that it makes this forum lively but sometimes you like to talk about a subject without posting a new thread.
bruneau
Contributor
Contributor

Postby david » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:26 am

Way back in the day, in the ancient times when the elders of this board were.. well you know. There was an attempt at a conference that was accessible by invitation only. Enough of the long term users stated openly that they would not join because it was too exclusionary and rather snobish that the conference was removed.

Perhaps the "way off topic" conference might serve the purpose. Also, if you go into the "profiles" you will find all registered users listed alphabetically, and most have a "send e-mail" option there. I believe all have the private message option.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stumblin » Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:00 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-17-05 AT 03:28 AM (EST)]"Do you know every email of the members here, I don't."

If you look at the top right-hand corner of each individual post, you can see a cluster of icons. One of these is an email icon.
By clicking on it, you can send email to the member to whose post the icon is attached.

PS. Sometimes people hide their email details, but that usually shows that they're not a "proper" member, more like the Gray D. Mucus type of troll that we sometimes attract.
I think you'll find in general that most of our members here are happy to receive emails or personal messages from other members.
stumblin
Regular

Postby grady » Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:44 am

I'm always glad to receive Emails from any BRB Member.
In fact,,,most of the Members here also have my Phone Number.
The BRB guys are like Family to me.

And I agree with Andy,,
If someone here has their Profile inactive or has a Hidden or False Email,,,they're up to no good.
You can bet on it.
grady
Regular

Postby raiph » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:39 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-17-05 AT 06:42 AM (EST)]"but that usually shows that they're not a "proper" member, more like the Gray D. Mucus type of troll that we sometimes attract."

"If someone here has their Profile inactive or has a Hidden or False Email,,,they're up to no good.
You can bet on it."

Do these casually arrogant statements include,

- the female member friend of mine who eventually re-registered with a "hidden" profile, after being pestered and e-stalked by at least two male members of this board?

- the famous name blues musician who wishes to remain anonymous, preferring to be treated as "just another chap", to avoid causing any sense of awe in other members, and to avoid unwanted attention?

- those in sensitive positions of employment, the legal and contract terms of which preclude public expression of opinion in any form?

And how many accessible profiles are genuine? How many are just a load of old malarky enabling the stalking and pestering already referred to, or the posting of comments such as those at the head of this post? There is no way of knowing, apart from personal knowledge of one member by another - and even then collaboration is not incredible.

raiph
(profile hidden for reasons that concern me and no-one else)
raiph
Regular

Postby stumblin » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:00 pm

A closer reading of my post would reveal the deliberate use of the word "usually".
Of course, there will be some who hide their profiles for very reasonable, er, reasons.
Most of us though, I think I can say this without too much fear of contradiction, are here for the purposes of communication. That's why we allow people to see our profiles.
In the not too distant past, I have received some semi-coherent emails castigating me for not being right-wing and christian enough. The tone of one, in particular, of these mails was disturbing (more likely "disturbed"), but I still prefer to have my profile available on the off chance that someone might want to communicate with me.
I'm very sorry to hear that other people have been harrassed.
stumblin
Regular

Postby grady » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:01 pm

>
>Do these casually arrogant statements include,
>
>- the female member friend of mine who eventually
>re-registered with a "hidden" profile, after being pestered
>and e-stalked by at least two male members of this board?
>

First of all,,,,I find that very hard to believe.
Sounds like a load of Bullcrap to me.
and,,,without actual names,etc. (aka proof) that's a heavy accusation to be throwing around without actual proof.

Second,,,,,,
That is a problem that is to be dealt with by the proper authorities.

Best case scenario,,,report it to Pappy J-Moderator

Worst case scenario,,,report it to the Authorities

Now,,,,for "Stupid question #2"

>- the famous name blues musician who wishes to remain
>anonymous, preferring to be treated as "just another chap",
>to avoid causing any sense of awe in other members, and to
>avoid unwanted attention?

First,,,,,,,
I talk to "Famous" people quite frequently,,,either by phone,Email or in person.
Chances are that when someone deems themselves so "Famous" that they need to hide their identity,,,,,They are usually someone who's unfounded
feelings of Self-Worth have lead them down their own path of disillusionment,,,,,AND,,,,chances are if they did reveal their "real" name most of us would reply "Who?"
with the exception of Blueswriter,,,I think he knows EVERYBODY.

Nobody is THAT famous.

>
>- those in sensitive positions of employment, the legal and
>contract terms of which preclude public expression of
>opinion in any form?

Why ???
Are you CIA ????
My Brother-in-Law is....we refer to him as "Mike"
that's his real name.
Whenever he meets someone new,,,,he always introduces himself by his
REAL first name and last name.

>
>And how many accessible profiles are genuine?
>

Mine is,,,so is Andy's (Stumblin)

Is yours ???

>How many are
>just a load of old malarky enabling the stalking and
>pestering already referred to, or the posting of comments
>such as those at the head of this post?

No one here that I know of,,,,with the exception of you and the occasional Troll.

Does the shoe fit ???

>There is no way of
>knowing, apart from personal knowledge of one member by
>another - and even then collaboration is not incredible.
>

Sure there is,,,,but,with your attitude and your feeling that you have to hide your identity to protect yourself,,,,
I doubt you'll ever experience it.

>
>raiph
>(profile hidden for reasons that concern me and no-one else)
>

I got news for ya,,,,We don't really give a sh*t.
I know,,,I don't.
grady
Regular

Postby grady » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:10 pm

btw,

See the little thing in the Left-hand corner of your post that
says IP ????

Your identity CAN be revealed by the Moderator of this forum.

A little known fact that has been discovered since the latest BRB crash.

FYI
grady
Regular

Postby raiph » Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:10 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-17-05 AT 10:15 AM (EST)]"First of all,,,,I find that very hard to believe. Sounds like a load of Bullcrap to me."

So I'm a liar? Or she is a liar? Or both?

You beautifully illustrate why an approximate 80% of all sexual harassment cases are never reported. But someone like you will be unable to understand the whys and wherefores of that, anyway.

"and,,,without actual names,etc. (aka proof) that's a heavy accusation to be throwing around without actual proof."

No accusations, just reference to an actual set of nasty incidents involving nasty people. The lady in question just wanted to forget all about it. She was persuaded not to abandon the board altogether, but to re-register.

But, of course, I'm a liar. Grady says so, so it must be true.

“I talk to "Famous" people quite frequently,,,”

Do they ever reply?

See the little thing in the Left-hand corner of your post that says IP ????

You just noticed it?
An ip address identifies no-one. At best it will identify a location and isp. (But think "proxy".) Obtaining an identity from the isp will require a court order.

Your identity CAN be revealed by the Moderator of this forum.

My identity, location, email address and profile details are already known by, or at least fully accessible to, the owner/manager of this board. Just hidden from you.

But don't forget that I'm a liar. Grady says so.
raiph
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:31 pm

Welcome to the board, raiph.

Hope you post often, on Blues and Blues- related topics.

(for someone who just registered, you sure know a lot more about the backstage goings on here than I do...)
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby blueswriter » Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:42 pm

Welcome to the board, raiph. Hope you post often, on Blues and Blues-related topics.

I can't say I see that happening. Two posts so far and a total lack of blues content leads me to believe Raiph is here to complain only. However, I'd like to be mistaken...
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Suggestion Box and Opinions