Time indicator

Ideas, likes, dislikes, recommendations, and opinions regarding the Big Road Blues web site and forums.

Time indicator

Postby badfinger » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:19 pm

Might it be possible for an indication of (BRB) time at the top of the pages?

It's totally useless for someone over here, say, to know that a post was "Last modified by Doodlebug on Apr-14-05 at 09:35 AM" (Ditto for the "Who's on line" page) when there is no means of knowing when that was (without all sorts of mental gymnastics involving allowance DST, etc...)

An indication of present time (whatever the region) would at least help keep things in perspective.
badfinger
Regular

RE: Time indicator

Postby bluesmcgoo » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:03 pm

I whole-heartedly agree!

Though it's not so much a problem for us BRB yanks, it's a BIG problem (for me) on the Blindman's Forum. He's in the UK so the problem is reversed. Which is neither here nor there, except to say that I feel your pain BF.
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby badfinger » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:19 pm

Bloody 'ell! Thinking alike again!
This HAS to stop, or people will start talking...
badfinger
Regular

Postby bluesmcgoo » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:50 pm

..Scarey, eh?
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby pappyj » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:37 am

How's that?

Regards,
PappyJ
pappyj
Site Admin

Postby ricochet » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:29 am

BMG and bf agreeing. 'T'ain't natural.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby badfinger » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:41 am

Pappy - that's great, but.....

It's giving me my local time, which I already know, and not the time that is attached to the various posts, which are shown in something called "EST" (Eastern Slovakian Time?).

What is needed is a coordination of the two, no matter what the standard. (Although UTC would be good!)

It appears at the top of the menu on the main "Conferences" page, but is not repeated on the actual topics or thread pages.
badfinger
Regular

Postby stumblin » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:11 pm

BF, I get confused as heck trying to work out what time it is in various different parts of the world.
I found this though, which may help:
http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc
stumblin
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:38 pm

But what about Daylight Savings???

(sorry....)
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rustyslide » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:56 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-15-05 AT 09:01 AM (EST)]I don't think the posts are in EST*, but CST? as I thought Dr. Mojo set it up so everything would be relative to the time he had in Austin.

EDIT: Apparently it is EST. Weird. But with out DST turned off.

*EST is 'Eastern Standard Time', and is the time zone for the eastern US and central Canada (Ontario and Quebec), CST is 'Central Standard Time' and is the time zone west of EST.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby badfinger » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:34 pm

None of which helps with my problem, which is that I can note that at this moment it is 2027Z, here. Now, if the "Conferences" page tells me that it is 0227...
Oops, but it says "PM", so that means it's 1427 EST...
The time at the top of this page (and my odffice clock and my pc) is 2027Z...
So I am 6 hours ahead of EST...

So the post I look at from Rusty, time-stamped 0856 EST was... (Mmmm... Let me see... 20 minus 6 makes 14, or maybe I should have added 6 cos it's now dark - the sun set 2 hours ago and it's starting to rain, so, with 2027 (Z), which is 1927 UTC (Greenwich)..

And - oh my, but did the time-stamp of Rusty's post say "PM" or "AM"?
In other words, did he post it at 0856 EST, or 2056 EST?

I can do all this now... But at 0130 AM Z (BST = 0030 GMT), I get a little brain weary.
badfinger
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:14 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-15-05 AT 04:15 PM (EST)]I'd like it if it would display it relative to the user's timezone, but with an indication of what time the author posted it (e.g. "I guess it's forgivable that he wrote that, as it was at 3am.")

"Message posted at 8:48 AM (AST), 1:48 PM (BST)"

Displaying the UTC time would just shift it from the time it has now; we'd have to convert it anyway.

At least it's not being displayed as a Unix time stamp.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby stumblin » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:32 pm

Maybe I'm missing the point here.
Anyhoo, if you log in and go to the Forum's "Lobby", you'll see two sets of "clocks". The UK time is currently six hours ahead of the regular BRB time. I can now judge the time difference between my time and the time in what I presume is the BRB server's location (although I'm not sure where that is). How does this help me? I'm not sure that it does really.
Still, maybe BF will find it useful?
stumblin
Regular

Postby badfinger » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:19 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-15-05 AT 05:21 PM (EST)]"Maybe I'm missing the point here"

Probably more likely that I haven't made it clearly enough.

What I would like is a time indicator on every page, showing present time in the same time-zone as the time-stamp on the posts (whatever zone or datum that might be - it wouldn't matter).

This would mean that I can look at a post and see that it was posted 10 minutes ago... Or an hour... Or whatever, without doing any conversions along the way. It would be a "real time" reference.

As it stands, I see (for example) that Rusty's last post was about three-quarters of an hour ago. To determine that, I had to see that it is time-stamped "04:14 PM (EST)".
Then I had to think of the time difference, and recall that it is 6 hours, making the time of the post 2214 BST, ie, approx. three-quarters of an hour ago.

With a "Board Time" indication on the page, a quick glance would have shown present (Board) time as 1703; Rusty's post would show "04:14 PM", and so "...approximately three-quarters of an hour ago" would be immediately apparent.

To put it another way: as the posts and "Who's on line" references, etc, are to EST, it would be useful to know what time it is in EST while reading these items - without having to pop backards and forwards to the BRB front page.
badfinger
Regular

Postby stumblin » Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:01 am

Cue FX: Sound of penny dropping...
stumblin
Regular

Next

Return to Suggestion Box and Opinions