an appreciation of the board...

Ideas, likes, dislikes, recommendations, and opinions regarding the Big Road Blues web site and forums.

an appreciation of the board...

Postby nizer » Sun May 29, 2005 2:50 pm

As a recently joined member I want to express my appreciation for the the BRB and its members. You been generous and helpful (and funny). I have had bad experiences in other Web communities and this one is head and shoulders above anything I have seen. So thank you.

That's the short version. I am going to ramble a bit, so you can go back to the other topics now if you want because what follows is just more of the same.

I spent most of yesterday going through the threads and archives on the BRB site. I didn't want to be raising questions that had already been answered. Wow! What a treasure house of information. Going back through the Tabs, Electric, Acoustic, Gear, etc. Even the Bass Blues v.s. Fusion. This stuff just doesn't exist anywhere else. And for Free? A few times I got lost on the links, finding Tab sites covering stuff I've always wanted to learn. Enough to keep me busy for years, I figure.

But I found something else, too. An incredible community, a family. The characters emerged, the stories, the passions, the care. I felt humbled, like I had been invited into the home of some very special people. And the poignant spaces - dropped threads, dead links, disappearing characters (I wondered about NotSonHouse).

The BRB near death experience at the end of 2002 was paricularly moving. Two passages struck me as expressing well what I was discovering:

“I really feel the most notable element is the fact that you guys who either gig regularly, or are full-time pros, are so willing to patiently answer the same basic questions over and over, without being condescending or brusque…We are fortunate to have not only great musicians here, but musicians who are willing to teach and share.” - jeffl

“…It's just that this site is deeply personal for me and, beyond anything else, is a living site, a site with a heart. This comes not from me, but rather from those in the forum who have made this and continue to make this such an amazing oasis.” - Dr. Mojo

There is a personal component for me, too. It was also expressed by another member previously: “This site has been a big help during what has turned out to be a pretty bumpy bit of emotional weather for me.”

So this is thanks from a newbie for all that you have done to keep this thing alive and growing. Like the Blues itself, it seems that there is a deep, positive force at work here.

Now I will get back to my opinionated, mouthy self.
nizer
Regular

RE: an appreciation of the board...

Postby bruneau » Sun May 29, 2005 6:55 pm

Hi nizer

>Wow! What a treasure house of information. Going back through the Tabs,
>Electric, Acoustic, Gear, etc. Even the Bass Blues v.s. Fusion. This
>stuff just doesn't exist anywhere else. And for Free? A few times I got
>lost on the links, finding Tab sites covering stuff I've always wanted
>to learn. Enough to keep me busy for years, I figure.

That's why I suggested to make a book about BRB. All the usefull stuff and things. Had not the response I was hoping for.
bruneau
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nizer » Sun May 29, 2005 11:58 pm

That's a good idea Bruneau. But instead of whining about it, why don't you offer to collect the posts, edit the copy, write the introduction, get quotes on the printing, secure the copyright and other releases, finance the printing, commission and direct the typesetting, photos, illustrations and design, proofread the galleys, be available for the press proofs (which usually occur at 3 a.m.), negotiate the distribution, PR and marketing contracts, warehouse the inventory, manage the sales, collect the money (along with an CA using GAAP rules) and remit any revenue above costs to Pappy to help finance the BRB?

There's no shortage of good ideas.
nizer
Regular

Postby srvlives » Mon May 30, 2005 1:53 am

As a recently joined member I want to express my appreciation for the the BRB and its members

I had nothing to do with it....

-------------------
'Do the shing-a-ling now baby'
srvlives
Regular

Postby bruneau » Mon May 30, 2005 5:14 pm

Hi Nizer,

I'm glad you like the idea. Thanks.
Seems to me you know a lot about the publishing buisness.
But don't you think it's a lot of work for one guy.
Like Canned Heat are singing "Let's Work Together."
bruneau
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nizer » Mon May 30, 2005 5:26 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-30-05 AT 01:27 PM (EST)]>But don't you think it's a lot of work for one guy.

Hmmmmm....good point. why don't you email me?
nizer
Regular

Postby nizer » Tue May 31, 2005 9:36 pm

Bruneau, did you get my email?
nizer
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue May 31, 2005 9:39 pm

Sometimes Bruneau's offline for a day or a few. He'll get back to you soon, I bet.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby bruneau » Tue May 31, 2005 11:27 pm

No email yet nizer!
bruneau
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nizer » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:54 pm

dagnabbit...
i got yours with your correct address at 17:30:14 yesterday and sent you a lengthy reply 18:53:43 Tue, 31 May ... maybe it's bouncing off the moon or something.
nizer
Regular

Postby bosco » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:52 pm

I have had bad experiences in other Web communities and this one is head and shoulders above anything I have seen. So thank you..... What a treasure house of information.....But I found something else, too. An incredible community, a family. The characters emerged, the stories, the passions, the care. I felt humbled, like I had been invited into the home of some very special people.

Nizer-

Those are the exact reasons that keep many of us "oldtimers" hanging around and why Pappy took over the site from Doc. Thanks for noticing how special this place is and most of all, for taking the time to put it into words.

If Pappy doesn't see this and chime in I'll send him a link in a couple days after some more members have responded.

Bosco
(Charter Member)
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby cheyenne » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:42 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jun-13-05 AT 12:48 PM (EST)]Well, I just found this thread, and agree with everything that's been said. I've not been the most vocal member in terms of post counts etc.. nor am I on here solidly for years on end, but I've been in and out for a fair few (to me) years now and it's not gone downhill at all, which is remarkable.

Since then I have been on non-music boards and what not which have always ended up being dissapointing through egotism or all the usual stuff.

I was on here before I could play hardly anything at all in my bedroom, to doing original songs with singing and slide guitar in front of an audience and getting good applause and comments and everything after almost every time.
I wish Dr. Mojo was around on here actually because his free slide lessons on the site years ago, were what kicked me in the bum and unlocked the fact that it was already inside my skull ready to roll, and just to go and do it. Sounds cliche I know, but it's true.

A book would be a good idea if done well, though I think it would need some kind of an angle behind it so as to make it not just a retrospective memorial of an internet forum but to be a good read too. It'd be hard I suspect.
cheyenne
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:55 am

Yeah, I think it'd be REAL hard to do, which is why I haven't been too enthusiastic about the idea when it's come up before.

I agree that Nizer really "gets it" about the appeal of BRB. That's why I've stuck around here since January 2002, when I joined after Doc Mojo invited me over here when I sent him some fan mail about Big Ass Buick. (Right after I'd recorded my original "Answering Machine Blues" on the "throne" upstairs, after midnight.) My intro in "About You," I think my first post, never got a response. Didn't run me off, though, and I've since made a point of greeting every newcomer I can. There are some mighty fine people on here, from whom I've learned a lot, and with whom I've shared a lot of laughs and smiles and a few heartaches. A lot of the guys who were around in the "old days" have disappeared, and I wonder what went with them. They probably think the "new guys" (like me) came along and spoiled it. Oh, well.

This board is unique in being very player-oriented, whereas other blues boards I've been on are more centered around blues fans who're primarily listeners and historians. We've got those too, of course. But most of us try to make music one way or another. We've got very experienced professional players, beginning bedroom players, and everything in between. The pro guys don't look down on the new players, and happily share tips with them. That's great!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby bruneau » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:09 pm

>A book would be a good idea if done well, though I think it would need
>some kind of an angle behind it so as to make it not just a
>retrospective memorial of an internet forum but to be a good read too.
>It'd be hard I suspect.

I agree with that 100 % Cheyenne.

>Yeah, I think it'd be REAL hard to do, which is why I haven't been too
>enthusiastic about the idea when it's come up before.

Instead of doing a book nizer came up with another idea, he emailed me about it.
I'm surprized he didn't make a post of it, to tell you all.
bruneau
Contributor
Contributor

Postby cheyenne » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:56 pm

oooh...the plot thickens.. If it's a CD you can count me in! I was in fact going to ask if any new CD's on here for anyone are being made again.
cheyenne
Regular

Next

Return to Suggestion Box and Opinions