New member?... WTF?

Ideas, likes, dislikes, recommendations, and opinions regarding the Big Road Blues web site and forums.

RE: New member?... WTF?

Postby allanlummox » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:59 pm

Running with a slightly less shady crowd -

Drinking somewhat less - (although I'm nursing a hangover this morning -

Playing and singing the Blues

And enjoying the civilizing
effects of age and marriage.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:01 pm

>>>It's hard for me to think of switching from alcohol to heroin as being a healthy thing.

Dunno.... seems to work well for ol' Keef!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:57 pm

Well, with the alchohol Sam would wind up beat up,robbed somewhere in an alley or in jail. Then prison. He gets real belligerent and people on the street and the young thugs don't take kindly to it. He retired as a pipefitter with money coming in and somehow got a funky house and a woman that likes the money and the drugs and in a weird way keeps him in line. He is probably the main influence for my daughter's repulsion for alchohol. As recovering people know alchoholism is progressive and what was once just fun becomes insanity. It's heartbreaking. I haven't seen him in years but I get reports. We're really surprised he's still around. 86ed from the most tolerant bars which was a relief really. Drunks like to pick on their friends and loved ones. Not trying to offend anyone. This getting older thing is hard as more fall by the wayside permanently. He was one who loved good music almost more purely than anyone I've ever known. We had another friend, Harmilla, where I got my nickname, Lorilu, a once magnificent dancer, person - lost to drugs. I had to choose my daughter and my life or ...? Guess I made the right choice. My girl is doing great, and I keep growing as a person. I've made these choices several times in my life and have had to leave people I cared about behind. Love to all.
lorilu
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:08 pm

Yea, I've lost a few friends to their addictions.

3 years ago, I had to talk to a counsellor myself - about a friend who was drinking and abusing pain medication. The advice I got - what I needed to hear - was about self - preservation and limits.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:41 am

I've personally hauled 2 friends to AA meetings in the past and both walked out 1/2 way through and both died of alcohol related deaths soon after! I had a aunt that was killing herself pretty well with booze alone and then she discovered the wonderful mix of vodka and vicodin and sped up the process. I gave my mom the same advise as that counselor gave Dan! To thy own self be true!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:11 am

My gosh ya'll are taking my language. I just went over 15 years on Jan 6. My second X left me when I got into AA, she kept going. She died in 2004. I met my 3rd X in AA. She left me 9 years later for her dealer. Life goes on. My music is the biggest high I've ever had.
1four5
Regular

Postby david » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:45 pm

Guess as we get older our list of lost friends grows longer.

I had a good friend in college, back in the 70's, that was the most hard core drunk and junkie combo I have ever seen. He had been a hard core religious fanatic, eventually leading him to Israel to get closer to the source.

He came back from that hooked on heroin and drinking incredible quantities of whatever kinds of alcohol he could find--even did Canned Heat when times were hard.

I lost contact with him for several years and assumed he was dead. He got in touch with me a few years back and the guy is completely clean and works with youth that are facing drug and alcohol problems.

Somewhere along the line he came to know himself well enough to know that he has an addictive personality type--closely related to obsessive compulsive disorders. He is going to be addicted to something: religion, drugs, or something, and he concluded religion was as destructive for him as the drugs were. So he decided to choose his own addictions.

He is now a contractor with several employees doing remodeling and siding houses. His addictions: a tobacco pipe (which seldom leaves his hands) and tools. I call him a "tool junkie." This is by far his most destructive addiction now. He's always broke from buying new tools, even though he puts them to use in his work.

Even those he stays broke all the time, he's still alive. I've known many over the years that didn't make the grade.

I've often thought that for persons with this problem music could be a much more desirable addiction--unless they ended up in the music industry, which would almost certainly destroy them. Too many temptations back stage and not enough grounding to keep it stable.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:51 pm

My old man couldn't give up beer and it took him. It still hurts, 40 years on. I'm leaving this one here, it's difficult to be coherent on this one.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby david » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:40 pm

I believe it was Carol Burnett that said living with an alcoholic was like having huge hole in the middle of the living room floor that everybody tried to pretend wasn't there.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:50 pm

Maxx,
This is kind of strange but I wanted to share it with you. My daughter has a friend that had a dad who died when he was very young. It was a drunk driving accident and his fault. This young man is a motocross racer and does lots of thrill seeker sports. My girl told him it seemed like he has a death wish. He doesn't drink anymore from what he told her. It got me to thinking that it has to be hard and painful to miss someone who is your dad and because of drinking takes away your most important role model and closest relationship. I feel like crying myself. But I feel for you and for him. My parental relationships were extremely bad so I don't really know how it would feel. Life is hard and we mourn for what we didn't have or what could have been. Feeling it seems important, having sorrow and as long as it takes to mourn and then live your life without the baggage. Not that there isn't pain at times about it. Acknowledgement then freedom. Bless you. You are a nice person. And funny.
lorilu
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:53 pm

Sometimes a thing comes out of the blue like this thread developed and hits you. We grew broke up in a time when his jobs could have given us a new car and Spanish holidays every year, but if the drink didn't swallow the cash, the gambling did. One night, he came home saying he'd fallen off his bicycle, but doing that doesn't leave boot marks around the rib area of your coat.

Probably everyone here who has lost someone close feels the same way, you just want to hug them to you but kick their backside at the same time.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:56 am

Yes. You said it all and bless you.
lorilu
Regular

Previous

Return to Suggestion Box and Opinions