New member?... WTF?

Ideas, likes, dislikes, recommendations, and opinions regarding the Big Road Blues web site and forums.

New member?... WTF?

Postby srvlives » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:53 am

You gotta wonder about a guy can;t even spell his own name! }>

-------------------
'Do the shing-a-ling now baby'
srvlives
Regular

RE: New member?... WTF?

Postby pappyj » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:30 pm

Huh?

Regards,
PappyJ
pappyj
Site Admin

Postby srvlives » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:26 pm

http://www.bigroadblues.com/cgi/dcforum ... lphonesinc

-------------------
srvlives
Regular

Postby pappyj » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:59 pm

Thanks, he's gone.
Regards,
PappyJ
pappyj
Site Admin

Postby nizer » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:26 am

The Nigerian 419 scam. New version uses their bots to scoop the members email addresses.

http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/
http://www.crimes-of-persuasion.com/Cri ... gerian.htm
http://www.quatloos.com/scams/nigerian.htm
nizer
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:15 am

The Nigerians have my E-mail, anyway. I even got one of the typical Nigerian scam spams printed out and mailed from South Africa to my snailbox last year!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby nizer » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:03 pm

nizer
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:29 pm

True Story - for real.

Back in, maybe 1985, I was lounging around Rittenhouse Square when a man - very round faced, very dark skinned - came up to me and, in a pleasant foreign accent, told me a tale of woe - he had come to America to close a business deal, had taken the train from DC to Philly, there were complications so he couldn't get access to the money without some OTHER money...I'm sure we're all familiar with the structure now.

The scam was obviously in it's larval stage - why else would you try it on an obvious n'er do well? I was wearing a battered Schott motorcycle jacket and boots, a skull belt buckle, black jeans and a batman T Shirt. Not exactly your loan officer.

I told him to go on - that I was fascinated by his story. He told ME he was meeting an accomplice - I'm sorry, a friend - at a bar a few blocks away. Interestingly enough, the bar he had selected was the one where I was well enough known to occasionally recieve my mail there.

So I told him we should wander over, that once we got there, I would make some calls and see what I could do.

He was a little surprised when we walked in McGlincheys door - the Bartender said "Hey Danny - who's your friend?", and I told her that she HAD to hear this guy's story - I started to outline the scam, and she started to laugh. His accomplice - another round-faced Nigerian - arrived at that moment. Other afternoon drinkers started to get out of there seats and come over to listen - this was kinda fun. After outlining the now-famous scam, I turned to the pair and told them it was a pretty good one, but they should probably not try it in Philly - that was a good way to get hurt - but that it would probably go over well in Jersey.

Evidently, they're still at it.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:53 pm

Good one, Lummo!

There's a link labeled "Alert" on the bottom of every post. If you see one that doesn't belong here, click on that link and tell Pappy why. He'll take care of it.

ricochet
Regular

Postby srvlives » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:21 am

The scam was obviously in it's larval stage - why else would you try it on an obvious n'er do well? I was wearing a battered Schott motorcycle jacket and boots, a skull belt buckle, black jeans and a batman T Shirt. Not exactly your loan officer.

Man, I woulda loaned you a dime!

-------------------
srvlives
Regular

Postby lorilu » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:06 pm

Receiving your mail at the bar - nice.
lorilu
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:29 pm

Well, I was living in a in the only building on the block that HADN't been condemned - there were broken windows and broken everything else - I went home to sleep. I never cooked in the kitchen - it was far too filthy, and I wouldn't enter into housemate negotiations. I had a toaster oven.

McGlincheys was my living room. The last time I was there, the place was the same - and one guy, sitting at the bar, turned and said "Where the hell YOU been?"
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:40 pm

A nice bit of detail - I briefly worked as a bouncer there. I was told that if anyone asked to speak to my manager, I was to tell them that my name was "Danny McGlinchey". There hasn't been a McGlinchey involved in the business since before prohibition.

There was a Bicycle rack outside that no one who knew the place put there bike on...it's purpose was to stop drunks from hitting 13th street and getting run over. I put a few Lawyers over it, too. (All you had to say was "Do you have any idea who I AM" and I'd push a lot harder)

Sometimes I think the only reason I left Philly was to save myself from sitting on a barstool there every evening until I died.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:32 am

Sounds pretty interesting to me I'm not judging just joking with you. Most of us have a past, and you describe it colorfully. Glad you're not there anymore, though. Seems like lately my alcholic friends are dying and disappearing and it's just sad. You don't think about it when you're partying. I just hate watching people killing themselves. Just this past few months 3 are gone. And more on their way. Robert, Arvin, Cliff (MIA). First two Viet Nam veterans. Scott's on his way another vet. Sam cut back on alchohol and switched to heroin so he might last a few more years. He's got some kind of iron like health. I am afraid that I have had to move on from the insanity. But it upsets me. Oh well. so ... what're you doing now?
lorilu
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:51 pm

It's hard for me to think of switching from alcohol to heroin as being a healthy thing.

ricochet
Regular

Next

Return to Suggestion Box and Opinions