Desert Island Discs

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Desert Island Discs

Postby blueswriter » Tue Feb 26, 2002 8:12 pm

You're about to be sentenced to a life term on a desert island, which luckily has electricity. The judge allows you five (5) CD's (or LP's) to take with you, along with a shaving kit, and a few other necessities... which discs would you pick, and why? Multiple disc sets or LP's are allowed, but you can only pick five. Mine would be the following...

1, 2, and 3) All three "Genesis" volumes (each volume is a four-LP set of absolutely briliiant stuff from the 1940's and 50's)

4) "And This Is Maxwell Street" (a three disc set of Nighthawk, Big John Wrencher, Johnny Young and others, all 'live' from... well, Maxwell Street)

5) I'm leaving open in hopes that my sentence will be commuted to "blues community service." If that doesn't happen, perhaps a complete boxed set of the West Side's booming years will finally come out before I head for the island. Then, I can have all of the Magic Sam/Shakey Jake/Buddy Guy/Otis Rush material from Artistic and Cobra. If that doesn't happen, I'd have to take "Screamin' And Hollerin' The Blues" with me. Since the judge allowed box sets, I get to take all 7 discs plus the notes and label stickers and other goodies that come with it!

Since the Genesis sets were issued separately, they constitute my first three picks. The sets were so massive, they included Muddy, Little Walter, Sonny Boy, Jimmy Rogers, Elmore, Arthur Crudup, John Brim, Memphis Minnie, Big Bill Broonzy, and countless others. Besides, I get to read all the liner notes.

Can't tell my future, I can't tell my past. Seems like every minute, sure gonna be my last."
Willie Brown
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Desert Island Discs

Postby howlnwoof » Tue Feb 26, 2002 8:43 pm

Somebody always has to bring this up !!
Oh well , I'll play along.......

If you guys have followed some of my other entries , you can probably guess a couple of 'em .

1. Johnny Shines--Too Wet To Plow......This struck me down with the sheer force of his vocals and tasty slide work ... A massive dose of the pure blues .......Perhaps my favorite vocalist.

2. Furry Lewis--Shake em On Down........Old guy , old songs , pure magic....one of the treasures of the 60's rediscovery period....

3. Mississippi John Hurt--The Vanguard Sessions......See above reason..........3 discs of the mellow genious of MJH..a gem

4. Otis Rush--Ain't Enough Coming In.....Stinging guitar as only Otis can play......great songs...soulful vocals.......a comeback of epic proportions......

5. Muddy Waters--Hard Again........the first Muddy I remember hearing......Johnny Winter really inspired Muddy to jack it up a few notches.......you can really tell these guys were having a ball recording this one......

I got a rich mans woman ...livin on a poor mans pay.........
howlnwoof
Regular

Postby socal_blues » Thu Feb 28, 2002 12:44 am

Since I can take multiple disc sets this one is easy:

James Brown - Star Time
Jimi Hendrix - The JHE box set
Stevie Ray Vaughan - SRV box set
Talking Heads - Sand in the Vaseline
Chess Blues - Box set
socal_blues
Regular

Postby srvlives » Thu Feb 28, 2002 12:55 am

I'll just take single discs, the judge didn't like me:

Chris Whitley - Living With The Law
Stevie Ray Vaughan - The Sky Is Crying
Johnny Diesel and The Injectors - self titled
Robert Cray - Strong Persuader
BB KIng and Eric Clapton - Riding With The King

I'm allowed conjugal visits so I'll get my wife to smuggle some more in next week.

"I never practice, so I'm nothing like as good as I should be" BB King
srvlives
Regular

Postby mikedev » Thu Feb 28, 2002 10:31 am

I'll stick with the rules for the radio program here in the UK so ..

My 6 Songs are:

Crossroads - Robert Johnson
Sweet Home Chicago - Magic Sam
Double Trouble - Otis Rush
Worried Life - Otis Spann
Last Night - Little Walter
It Hurts Me Too - Elmore James

How can I leave out Wolf, Muddy, the Kings, Peter Green, .......

My book would be:
The Story of the Blues by Paul Oliver.
Reading this I'll be able to 'hear' everyone else as I read it.

My luxury item:
My guitar, amp and a slide
If I'm on the island long enough I might even get play properly!
mikedev
Regular

RE: Quick addittion....

Postby mikedev » Thu Feb 28, 2002 3:45 pm

I'l also need my trusty tuner as part of my luxury item.

Can't get to Open D, or anything else without it!
mikedev
Regular

Then again...

Postby blueswriter » Fri Mar 01, 2002 4:31 am

Some interesting choices here guys! On certain days, you opt for one thing, while another calls for something quite different. Today, I'd still bring the "Genesis" sets, but I might throw in Fleetwood Mac's "Boston Box" set, and the Allman Brothers Band "Fillmore Concerts." And the conjugal visit idea was a great thing to add, but isn't this a family site?

Can't tell my future, I can't tell my past. Seems like every minute, sure gonna be my last."
Willie Brown
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Then again...

Postby srvlives » Fri Mar 01, 2002 5:07 am

Sure is, it's not like I'm letting anyone watch!

"I never practice, so I'm nothing like as good as I should be" BB King
srvlives
Regular

RE: Then again...

Postby mtblues » Fri Mar 01, 2002 6:56 pm

But, isn't that how families begin? Oh, and I second the Chess Box for desert island use. Can't go anywhere without it...
mtblues
Regular

Return to Talking Blues