Did you pay your dues?

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Did you pay your dues?

Postby spud camp » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:10 pm

I would love to read some of your stories on paying your dues. Street musicians, room and board gigs, whatever. I don't really have any that stand out, just the usual starving musician stuff. I bet some of you got some real crazy ones though. So lets hear em. Get it out in the open.
spud camp
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Did you pay your dues?

Postby dcblues » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:11 pm

I pay my membership dues to the DC Blues Society and Baltimore Blues Society every year. :)
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:01 pm

The check's in the mail.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:16 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-01-05 AT 05:17 PM (EST)]Actually Spud Camp--I think your query is a great one. Walter Tore has a fascinating past,and I'm sure many of our gigging pros have some great stories,too. Maybe at least some guys will post links to their bios on their websites,if they don't wanna expound. I've always been a hobbyist gigger: "The Briars" dance band in 7th & 8th grade;"The Cretin Society" jug band,playin'for beer in 10th &11th grade;"The Royals" soul band (10 piece,great money)in 12th grade;"Baby John Blues Band" from my freshman year in college 'til 22 yrs.old; hotel lounge act for one year after that; and just jammin' and sittin' in since then. Never had to pay no dues after the union went to hell when I was 22. Can't seem to find a band to play with steadily now,so I jus' jam every Wednesday,and sit in by invitation. I've played harp,keyboards,and trumpet. I'm now 54 yrs. old.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:29 pm

Dear Spud

I love our music for the sound, feel, the heart of it and the direct connection, but Paying Your Dues? I'll keep it private on that but just say this most beautiful of noises has lifted me out of the hole and I DID need lifting.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:55 pm

Well said,Maxx.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:34 pm

Yeah! What Maxx said.
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:04 pm

My grandfather played masterful harmonica and he was my mentor. Every summer I would spend a week with him, riding on the tractor and "helping" him tend his beehives and strawberry patches. At night he would sing and play his harp. Absolute heaven for a kid.

Shortly before my eleventh birthday, Dad and I found him dead on the floor of the farmhouse when I was being dropped off for my annual visit. I was unconsolable and cried day and night for a week. A little while after that I went out and bought my first harp, because of Gramps, and never looked back. Without knowing it, I had "paid my dues" before my musical career even began.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby spud camp » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:15 pm

>My grandfather played masterful harmonica and he was my
>mentor. Every summer I would spend a week with him, riding
>on the tractor and "helping" him tend his beehives and
>strawberry patches. At night he would sing and play his
>harp. Absolute heaven for a kid.
>
>Shortly before my eleventh birthday, Dad and I found him
>dead on the floor of the farmhouse when I was being dropped
>off for my annual visit. I was unconsolable and cried day
>and night for a week. A little while after that I went out
>and bought my first harp, because of Gramps, and never
>looked back. Without knowing it, I had "paid my dues" before
>my musical career even began.
>
>Bosco
Thanks Bosco for sharing that story. You have always been kind in your posts. When I posted this thread I was not tyring to invade anyone's privacy. I love the blues, I love the music and sound, but most of all I love the story. I love what the blues stands for, I think we all can relate to the power, pain, and joy, that the blues can bring. I was not looking for any self destruction stories or anything like that. If that's how it came across I'm sorry. I was just looking for the "you wont believe it, but one time I was playing for tips, and so and so walked and......." kind of stories. I really do apologize if it came across that way.
spud camp
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluesmouse » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:20 pm

I pay my dues at the end of every month when the ****ing rent and council tax are due...That then gives me the blues! x(
bluesmouse
Regular

Postby grady » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:25 pm

I've been playing 21 years.
Mostly,,with so-called "Bands" made up of members who can't get their act together for one reason or another.

Once I became a Solo act for good about 2 years ago,,,things started going great.

"Paying your Dues" is a touchy subject with me.

I'm not quite sure what it means but one thing I am sure of is that no matter how many "dues" you've paid,,there'll always be some smartass,,Narcissistic,,Self-stroking,,Egg-sucking,,Blues Nazi somewhere that'll tell you that you haven't paid enough dues.

Anyone who has lived their Life past the age of 30 has paid some Dues.
grady
Regular

Postby spud camp » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:55 pm

>I'm not quite sure what it means but one thing I am sure of
>is that no matter how many "dues" you've paid,,there'll
>always be some
>smartass,,Narcissistic,,Self-stroking,,Egg-sucking,,Blues
>Nazi somewhere that'll tell you that you haven't paid enough
>dues.

There are some really good anger management programs. The first step is admitting you have a problem. What the hell is that suppose to mean. I did not see any where above that ANYONE was implying that anyone one on this site has not paid there dues. Thanks again Bosco, you got it. The rest of you well.........never mind.
spud camp
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:04 pm

>Anyone who has lived their Life past the age of 30 has paid some Dues.

Everybody "pays their dues." Can't escape it. And you never know what somebody's going through right now, who looks like they've got it made. They may be living through hell inside.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby maxx england » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:16 pm

I hope I didn't give off any bad vibes with what I said earlier. It seems to me that this little community we have here is sort of close, so you feel at ease in front of the screen, and then you drop the defences and a small question is suddenly very big to you.

The day to day blues, we all have them, jobs, no jobs, women, no women, and yes, 30 was a long while ago now so I've had plenty of time to develop that stuff.

The big stuff, I won't burden anyone here with, that's where the passion and energy for the playing come from. Can't answer if it's good playing, but when that slide clatters and howls across the strings, oh, it is paid for.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:18 pm

>The big stuff, I won't burden anyone here with, that's where
>the passion and energy for the playing come from. Can't
>answer if it's good playing, but when that slide clatters
>and howls across the strings, oh, it is paid for.

Well said, Maxx.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Next

Return to Talking Blues