Feedback trick

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Feedback trick

Postby jeffl » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:25 pm

Last nite,I fired up the Champ in the living room,to get some ya-ya's out and let off a little post-work steam: I cranked the Champ all the way up,and it fed back with me standin' about 15 feet in front of it. So,I backed it down to the edge of the feedback (about a notch and a half) ,and discovered on certain two-note bends that by tilting the bullet a hair toward the amp,I could blend in a hair of feedback that was almost recognizable,but really fatted up the sound--and it was minutely controllable. It wasn't a screech; it was more like a big fat overtone bein' eq'd up. I gotta play with that some more. I was able to split a tone and slide down,while the feedback tone slid up to the octave..really a mind blowing trick. Maybe some of you guys do this all the time...I've only ever heard Corky Siegel do it,and that's how I knew it was do-able. I don't know if you can do it on a blow note; I only tried it on a draw.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Feedback trick

Postby dblues » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:39 pm

A sorta Jimmy Hendrix on harp thing eh??????
dblues
dblues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:32 am

>
>A sorta Jimmy Hendrix on harp thing eh??????
>dblues
>
I think there's a place to do something like that with the harp,but it would have to be on maybe a bare break,with no band behind it. It's one of those things that's prob'ly only cool if ya' can HEAR it,lol! Maybe a harp intro or sumpin'. I was jus' shocked that it was almost impossible to identify it as feedback. I don't think you could hear it well enough to control it if everybody else was playin'. It came from jus' turnin' my head about 5degrees relative to the ampface, and not keepin' my head directly between the mic and the amp.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dblues » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:31 pm

I've fooled around with the feedbacks before. I found with the use of a 31 band EQ I could eliminate a higher freq one and keep a lower freq one that was a little more manageable. But like you said, it would be best done as an intro or just a harp break thing or at the very least when the band would lay back for it.

Later,it's time to make some music
dblues
dblues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:56 pm

>I've fooled around with the feedbacks before. I found with
>the use of a 31 band EQ I could eliminate a higher freq one
>and keep a lower freq one that was a little more manageable.
>But like you said, it would be best done as an intro or just
>a harp break thing or at the very least when the band would
>lay back for it.
>
>
>
>
>
>Later,it's time to make some music
>dblues
It's not a bad idea to have a few little tricks in the bag (emphasize FEW) for sheer showmanship, but it's my guess that the acoustics on stage could make this a dicey proposition,whether or not you could get the same results on stage with all the sound bouncin' around as you can get in a practice or rehearsal setting. I am gonna try it on stage as soon as I can,though.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp