tongue blocking = drooling?

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

tongue blocking = drooling?

Postby jagarner70 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:41 pm

Is it natural to drool when you are 1st learning the tongue blocking technique (for single notes) or am I doing something wrong?
jagarner70
Contributor
Contributor

RE: tongue blocking = drooling?

Postby barbequebob » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:04 pm

It often is the case because most people in the beginning stages are BOTH playing with excessive breath force AKA playing way too hard all the time, and to make matters considerably worse, instead of a light pressure from the tongue, they tend to slam it on the harp, both of which are HORRRIBLE ways of learning this.
barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

RE: tongue blocking = drooling?

Postby t bone bruce » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:18 pm

I'll agree that a lot of players use excessive breath force and heavy tongue placement, but I don't think that's the only reason that beginners get a lot of saliva in their harps. Physiologically speaking when you put something into you mouth, you salivate. It's a natural reaction. If you didn't then it would make it very hard to swallow food. I think that as you become more experienced then you either learn how to cope with saliva production, or you subconciously learn to produce less of it when playing. I'm sure it's probably the former, rather than the latter, but if anyone wants to do some scientific research into it they're welcome! Even if you have got used to having the harp in you mouth for lip blocking, when you switch to tongue blocking you have to learn again. As you place the tongue against the harp body, your mind is again fooled into producing saliva. Some people salivate more than others anyway.
t bone bruce
Regular

Return to Blues Harp