common or favorite keys

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

common or favorite keys

Postby eline » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:52 am

What are some of the more common or the favorite keys people tend to jam with, lets say at an open jam session?

Eddie
eline
Regular

RE: common or favorite keys

Postby jeffl » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:03 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-23-06 AT 10:04 PM (EST)]Seems like G and A are pretty common...which would be your C and D harps in crossharp or 2nd position. The more advanced the players,the more different keys you'll play in,so you'll run into more blues in Bb and C# and F. If you take a C,D,and A harp,to play in G,A,and E,they cover alotta tunes. I got up with some guys last weekend,and we played three straight tunes in A,with a D harp; I got sick of that key fast.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby striper » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:56 am

Harps: A, Bb, C, D, F, G...first and second position, those will pretty much get you through.

Beyond that, I'm as lost as the next guy!!!
striper
Regular

Postby e krim » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:23 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-24-06 AT 02:23 AM (EST)]the E blues scale is easiest to play for guitar players, so i find myself whipping out the A most often
e krim
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:13 pm

>the E blues scale is easiest to play for guitar players, so
>i find myself whipping out the A most often
Hey EK: when I was younger (I'm 54 now) I played in E alot as well; now I play with alotta guys my age,and with the shrinking vocal range that can accompany aging, it seems like G and A are more common (C and D crossharps). We joke alot about it. We even play tunes in G that we used to play in C,so that shows you how far we've slid in 30 years,lol!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby t bone bruce » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:59 pm

If I had to take just 4 keys of harp with me I'd take A,C,D & G. Next choice would be F, and Bb, then maybe an E harp. My 2 most used harps are the A & D harps. Of course I take all 12 keys because there's always one song that requires one of the lesser used harps, but the big four will cover most situations.
t bone bruce
Regular

Postby eline » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:52 am

What about common minor keys, things that are commonly played in 3rd position?

Eddie
eline
Regular

Postby t bone bruce » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:35 am

I find the most common minor blues keys are Am,Bm,Cm,Dm and Em. Guess what? for 3rd position playing:
G harp- Am,A harp-Bm,C harp-Dm, D harp-Em. If they do Cm then the Bb is the one to have. Fortunately these are the harps you take along anyway! Dm and Am are the ones I come across most commonly. I've never bothered with specific minor key harps, but now you've got me thinking.....
t bone bruce
Regular

Postby dblues » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:01 pm

The great thing about using minor keyed harps is that you can play minor chords. You can also do this with chrom harp in 3rd position. Depends on the song and which chords are minor that dictate if I use a minor keyed harp or a major played in 3rd position.

http://www.soundclick.com/dblues
Later,it's time to make some music
dblues
dblues
Regular

Postby eline » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:23 pm

Me personally, I rather not deal with minor keyed harps. I like to play in 3rd position, but all I was wondering which minor keys were most often played. And I thank you guys, becuase it seems to me you answered my question.

Thanks,
Eddie
eline
Regular

Postby harp54 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:17 pm

Just a minor issue (pun intended)but I would appreciate some feed back please.

When I have played a few numbers in 2nd position I like to slip into 3rd just to change the feel. I have never owned or played a minor harp and seem to get along fine by just changing postions.

Naturally, this cuts out a few good songs by the likes of Paul Lamb,Kim Wilson etc but generally it is not a problem, and I am actually coming to prefer 3rd position, except for that pesky 3rd hole.

Is this normal?
harp54
Regular

Return to Blues Harp