song keys

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

song keys

Postby bigcat53 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:12 pm

bigcat53 hi anybody know links for keyed songs thanks good harpin.
bigcat53
Regular

RE: song keys

Postby bluemoose » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:43 pm

I believe Dave Barrett's harmonicamasterclass web site has an extensive song list archive with harp keys. Lot's of other good stuff there as well.

b.
bluemoose
Regular

Postby harp54 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:06 pm

I expect to get trounced for this but here goes anyway.

One major aspect of playing harp in listening to what is being played by other musicians and playing something that compliments the 'whole ' sound.

We all spend alot of time practising playing harp and forget to practice listening as well.

I was once told that when listening to a song and trying to figure out what key it is in, by blowing on holes 1-4 tongue blocking 2 and 3 you can identify the key the song is played in. This also helps train the ears.

I found it works, and it is fun testing yourself with a guess first. It also helps when the band get into the next number without lerting you know.
harp54
Regular

Postby barbequebob » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:59 pm

I'm not going to trounce you here at all, but give you your props for saying something too many harp players too often DO NOT LEARN!!!!! THe idea of being a good listener is EXTREMELY important to become a good musician, and too often harp players get dissed on because this is often something they do really do at all and just mindlessly riff like an idiot and step all over everything, and as a pro harp player myself, I'm hypercritical about this and will cut absolutely NO slack to ANY harp player who is guilty of this. Part of being a good musician is not just knowing what and when to play, but also when NOT to play.
barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bigcat53 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:19 pm

man did not mean to step on anybodys toes just ask about song keys thanks i n know what your talking about all work on myself man.thanks u have been a big help.
bigcat53
Regular

Postby julio1958 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:09 pm

I think a real smart harp player once told me, and I now live by it,...." sometimes the best riff is a few bars of silence ".
julio1958
Regular

Postby harp54 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:28 pm

No toes stepped on this end, just harp talk. I heard a funny that I think kind of sums-up some of the sentiments we harp players come across sometimes that BBQB is talking about.

Buddy Guy sadly passes on to the next world where St Peter greets him with an invitation to a Blues jam night.

'Not sure' says Buddy.

Encouraging him with the guest list, which includes Muddy, Red House and distinguished others, St Peter also issues a warning..

'Oh yea, they are all going to be there' he says enthusiastically, but there is one problem

'What is that?' Buddy asks

'God's on harp' St Peter replies.

Hope it made you chuckle
harp54
Regular

Postby t bone bruce » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:11 pm

Right on guys! I think listening and not overplaying is one of the hallmarks of a really good player, check out Jerry Portnoy's work on the "From the cradle" album with Eric Clapton for that...I really don't mind sitting back and playing less, but one thing has pissed me off recently, and that is playing at a jam, getting called up for 4 or 5 songs but one of the guitarists not letting me get a solo in on even one song, including my one "harp song" of the night-by taking the solo on every single song. The whole point is for *everyone* to get a go. I'm gonna change jams if this keeps on happening. Wish they'd learn to keep back and not overplay too, all that damn shredding... Rant over,I feel better now!
t bone bruce
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:14 pm

T-Bone: have you had a polite conversation with that guitarist about that issue...? If not,you might try it-even if you're not real comfortable with the idea.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby julio1958 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:37 pm

Most decent jams, including guitar players encourage participation and solo's, the guy your talking has to get a grip, if he doesn't it'll just discourage jammers from coming out.
julio1958
Regular

Postby bosco » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:16 pm

T-Bone-

Yeah, you wouldn't be out of line "reminding" the guitar player that you are there to play, that's ridiculous. I've sarcastically said "thanks for the solo" to guys before...off the mic of course.

Believe it or not, some guys get nervous and in such a zone that they forget exactly who is on stage and what other instruments they have at their beck and call. Doesn't sound like the case with this guy, but it does happen.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby t bone bruce » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

It's only happened the past couple of times I've been there, and the jam is changing venue so I'll tackle it when I'm next there. The guitarist is a nice guy, so I think I'll try the subtle approach- "OK you take the solo after the first verse, I'll take the next one.." sorta thing. We'll see how it works out.
t bone bruce
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:18 pm

You guys are right,and there's always a chance of just communication problems. As a harper,there have been times for me that I've failed to pick up on what's goin' on with a guitarist-especially if there's more than one on stage- and my comping may be tromping on a guy,and it takes me 4 bars or so to catch it. Occasionally,with cramped stages,the sight lines may not be good,and you have to keep your whole body on a swivel to pick up on cues. In general,it seems like if you're obviously trying to listen and pick up on all the communication,it'll be obvious to the others,and they'll work at the communications as well.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dblues » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:18 pm

Many guitarists like to do their own fills, so don't step on them. Now if the guy is hogging the whole song, ask him what's up with that??? Is there a leader to this jam night? Have him or her set the rules.
Later,it's time to make some music
dblues
dblues
Regular

Postby bigcat53 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:46 am

bigcat53 hay t bone i just got that cd it is bad a-- when i jam with new people i just say i will play some fills and then they useally say ok and will q you for a solo just try to fit in its all good. good harpin man. big cat stormy weather band.
bigcat53
Regular

Return to Blues Harp