Just saying hello

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Just saying hello

Postby kingley » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:25 pm

I have just joined this forum and have a few clips on my website if anyone is interested.
Some are solo harp things and some are with my previous bands.
I would be interested in any critcism / opinions that anyone has on them.

http://www.kingleyharp.co.uk

Thanks
Kingley
kingley
Regular

RE: Just saying hello

Postby songdog » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:34 am

Welcome to the Big Road Kingley

Those are some nice tracks on your website. I like your tone.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby kingley » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:32 am

Thanks for the compliment Songdog.
Kingley
kingley
Regular

Postby yjm_rules » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:05 am

Hi

Thats some really good playing. Good to hear some good UK harping. Where abouts are you? Also on your gear page you don't say what harps you use, you're getting great tone.

Martin
yjm_rules
Regular

Postby kingley » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:43 pm

Thanks for the comments YJM.

I live in Leyland in Lancashire and I play Marine Bands which I customise myself (I have done that for years) and now I also use the Marine Band Deluxe.
Kingley
kingley
Regular

Postby t bone bruce » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:22 pm

Hi Kingley,
That's some great harp playing there! Nice to hear from another UK harper on the Big Road. I'm down south in Essex,- the Thames delta!
t bone bruce
Regular

Postby kingley » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:42 pm

Thanks T-Bone.

Ahh the Thames Delta, nice place.
I was born down south, in the city of dreaming spires (Oxford) moved north when I was 18. There are some good guys down your way. Keep an eye open for "Just Blues" they play all the old Chicago stuff they are a real nice bunch of guys. I remember 'em from my days with "The Upsetters".
I think Wes Weston is round your way as well, he is well worth checking out.

Kingley
kingley
Regular

Postby qtheblues » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:15 pm

Harps suck best.

South Coast here. Nice website and great sound.
Keep an eye open for 'Smokestack', they're always around the UK in one form or another. Excellent.
qtheblues
Regular

Postby yjm_rules » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:39 pm

Kingley

I play Hohner Blues Harps and have never tried a Marine Band at all. Do you think its worth me going straight for the Deluxe or should I try the standard first? How much difference is there between them? As you know here in the UK our harps are expensive so I don't want to fork out for the Deluxe if the standards pretty much the same.
The cheapest I've found one is £29.99. And I thought Bushmans at £24 were expensive!!

Also have you customised your Pro Jr at all? I was thinking of getting one.

Thanks
Martin
yjm_rules
Regular

Postby kingley » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:12 am

Yeah DJM I would go straight for the Marine Band Deluxe. It is thecloset thing to a custom harp you can get for the price. It has great tone, bends like butter and the top end is incredible. If you learn to tune your own harps as well they should last you for years.

On my Pro Jr I have swapped an AX7 valve for an AU7 in one of the preamp sockets, and also have a Jensen C10Q speaker in it instead of ther stock fender one. It's a great amp and is so portable. I use a JT30 mic with a Black Label CR through it and play it on about 5-6 volume with the tone turned off.

Hope this helps
Kingley
kingley
Regular

Postby harp54 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:02 pm

I just tried youe email and the message 'not installed properly' came up it might be worth checking.

My question is : Have I seen and played with you down at the Mars bar on Wednesday nights?
harp54
Regular

Postby kingley » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:24 pm

Hi Harp54

Thanks for the heads up on my email I will take a look at that.
In answer to your question, No I have never even heard of that place where is it?
You may have seen me at Burnley or Colne festivals, I have played those a few times and also all over the North West.

Kingley
kingley
Regular

Postby kingley » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:28 pm

Mmmm, strange the email worked just fine when I tested it. Both on my site and this one on the forum as well.
Must just have been a glitch.

Kingley
kingley
Regular

Postby t bone bruce » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:24 pm

Hi Kingley, I've seen Steve "West" Weston, he came to a blues jam in Chelmsford where I live once, about a year or so back. I think he's based down Southend way. He's a great piano player too as well as harp,- I almost considered hanging myself with the mic cord after he played harp because I know I'll NEVER be that good....
Bruce
t bone bruce
Regular

Postby kingley » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:01 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-20-06 AT 02:02 PM (EST)]Hi Bruce,

Yes West is good, but you can also be good, it takes lots of practice and learning to listen.
Just keep going, don't give up and always talk to other players to learn bits and pieces. Some of them won't teach you anything whilst others will help you all that they can.

Go to Jams, join bands, do whatever you can to play with other musicians. There is something about playing live that you just can't learn any other way.

I remeber West when he was coming up and he pestered the hell out of guys like Paul Lamb to learn all he could. Down south they usually have the NHL conventions and you can probably learn quite a bit there.

Kingley
kingley
Regular

Next

Return to Blues Harp