Thoughts on 12-string reso's

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Thoughts on 12-string reso's

Postby Jakeblues » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:30 pm

I know Bottleneck John can chime in on this, and I'm sure a few others have some thoughts. I'm thinking of upgrading my student grade 12-string to a Reso. I'm not expecting to play slide on it (at least not primarily). I'm thinking mostly fingerstyle stuff nd was considering starting a fruit jar savings fund to get a National. They seem to only offer two: The El Trovador (single cone/Biscuit) and The M1 tricone. I don't have a store around here that carries more than a handful of reso's at a time (although I'm very happy to have The Music Emporium, which always has a few.)

I think in general, I like the tricone sound better, but I've never played a wood-bodied tricone. I'm thinking the M1 would be more my style...however, I'd really like to play one or at least get players' opinions and listen to some clips to compare them. Any thoughts?
Jakeblues
Regular

Re: Thoughts on 12-string reso's

Postby Freeman » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:24 am

Jake, since I have three resonators and three twelve strings right now I really don't need another of either, but I keep getting a wild hair (or is it hare?) to build one. Some thoughts, more or less random

- I love my wooden tricone, it has the bark of a reso but is still pretty mellow and actually kind of "pretty" sounding when played gently with flesh and nails. I'd be very tempted to go that way, unless...

- I decided to make something like Paul Normans wonderful creations. http://www.forbiddenguitars.com/creations.html

- Next, as you know, 12 strings intonate terribly. But then resonators intonate terribly too, so maybe this critter would never play in tune. It would probably be easiest to take a biscuit bridge, remove the saddle and cut a wider slot to get enough material to try to compensate it. I haven't given this much thought but it would certainly factor into the design

- I would worry about the down force on a biscuit. A friend crushed the cone on mine and I'm very careful about setup and break angle. I would want to do some calculations to see if the extra 50% tension might be a problem.

- I play slide on everything I own so naturally it would be set up for slide. I'd probably go to a slightly longer scale length than the standard 25 for down tuning. I'd also build it with a fairly flat fretboard. And oh shoot, since I like slotheads so much I'd do that too.

- This will be a problem finding a case, but that's never stopped me (actually Cedar Creek has managed to make a case to fit every odd ball that I've made).

- and since you want some clips, I'll PM a guy who happens to own and play an M1 - maybe we can get him to drop by
Freeman
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:49 pm

Thanks for the response. I won't swear on a stack of bibles that I'll never play slide on a 12 string, but it's not a sound I particularly favor. Paul's stuff looks awesome, but since I have to ask, I can't afford it.

I'm leaning towards the tricone. I don't have a lot of playing time on a modern biscuit bridge, so I suppose I should at least do a little homework by playing a modern single cone. I'm heard great things about the 12-string M1, I just haven't actually heard one.
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:16 am

Okay! I believe the Tricone is the way I'm headed. Thanks!
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Fri May 02, 2014 11:44 pm

Roy Rogers can make 12 string slide sound pretty good.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Sat May 03, 2014 7:06 pm

DOn't get me wrong, I have noting against slide on a 12 string, I just don't generally play that way. As of late, I've been tight or time and most of my playing has been electric.
Jakeblues
Regular

Return to Guitar