About the chord change in Stormy Monday

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

About the chord change in Stormy Monday

Postby WayneS » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:04 am

Really enjoyed that rendition of Stormy Monday with bottleneck guitar. I'm an electric lap steel player and have been messing around with Stormy Monday for a while. I got curious about the chord change leading into the last four bars. It goes (in major scale, of course): Tonic chord, major. 2 chord, minor. 3 chord, minor, 6 flat chord, 7th, 5 chord, 7th.

I thought (because I read it somewhere on the web....) that the Allman Brothers had come up with that change in the '70's. (T Bone walker doesn't use it.) But I've recently heard it on a blues record made in 1947 by Jimmy Witherspoon, with a blues/jazz group.

And now I'm really interested: Can anyone think of any other pre-1950 uses of this chord change in a 12 bar blues?

Thanks for any help--WayneS
WayneS
Regular

Re: About the chord change in Stormy Monday

Postby The Breeze » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:25 am

I generally use:

||A7 |D9 |A7 |(A13-5x567x A7sharp5-5x566x)|D9 |Dsharp'dim7 |A7 Bm7 |Csharp'm7 Fsharpe'sharp9|Bm7
|F9 E9 |A7 D9 |A7 E7||

Use parts of it in any 12bar you want :D .

(edit) Found it! A much dogeared photocopy from Guitar Player Dec 1994. from the one page I have left it is not clear if it tabs the T-Bone or Allman bros version, as above except:
Bar 8: |Csharp'm7 Cm7|
Bar 10: |E9 |

I have recognised the progression in other songs, but can't remember which :roll: .
Last edited by The Breeze on Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Breeze
Regular

Re: About the chord change in Stormy Monday

Postby Jakeblues » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:22 pm

I "thought" I remember a similar progression in a Wes Montgomery blues, but I'm not recalling the melody, never mind the title.

I've played a bunch of variations on the chord progression over the years. On this recording, the last 4 is
|A7 Bm7|C#m7Cm7| E9/B|BbMaj7|A7 D9|A7 Eaug7

Glad you liked my attempt at it. Willie's vocals are great.
Jakeblues
Regular

Return to Guitar