Finding a Great Drummer?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Finding a Great Drummer?

Postby Honeyboy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:50 pm

I was talking to some players just last night at a blues jam about this very subject. I won’t name names but we all agreed that when we go to a jam the worst thing that can happen is to get stuck playing with a lousy drummer.

And it’s not usually about their chops. Many drummers can play their drums just fine. They just don’t know how to play the song.

And this doesn’t just apply to drummers… it really applies to everyone in the band. And yes, at blues jams this issue is persistent for just about everyone. Most jammers don’t understand how to play the song. And as beginners why should they. That’s why they are at a jam in the first place.

So please forgive me. If you are a new player and just learning then this is not about you… and this may be a chance to learn something important.

But if you’ve been playing for a long time and still don’t get this, then this is aimed at you. It’s time for you to start listening and learning how to play the song correctly. This will help your playing and get you more gigs.

Sorry am I being too hard on drummers?

Honeyboy

http://www.bluesguitarinsider.com
Honeyboy
Regular

Re: Finding a Great Drummer?

Postby ricbleu » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:26 am

I don't think you are being too hard, although by definition, jams is jams, guys (and girls) are expected to be loose in technique simply cos they haven't become good enough to do otherwise. But imo each jam member while giving it their best shot, should always keep an ear on the other jammers and try to play sensitively to what the others are doing. Then there is more cohesion in the group without someone trying the "look at me" approach. We've all jammed and I can remember somewhere meeting this guy with a guitar -I had a low end Harmony at the time and when I said let's jam, he set off on this endless, impenetrable shred into which you couldn't find a single entry point. It was up Harmony and out the door for me. So to sum up: give it the best you've got, play for the jam and not yourself, know when to move up and when to back off. Silence can be very eloquent.
ricbleu
Regular

Return to Guitar