The Axys Reversable Slide

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

The Axys Reversable Slide

Postby OldWailer » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:31 pm

I just found this product online--and it might work for me, since I'm doing more and more slide in standard tuning. I'm just wondering if anybody here has tried it out and what you think if you have--it looks pretty slick--here's a link to the gizmo--

http://www.shubb.com/axys/
OldWailer
Regular

Re: The Axys Reversable Slide

Postby Jakeblues » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:44 pm

I've seen it, but never tried it. I certainly am curious. I've never had much luck with the slide on the ring finger. I suppose that's just their suggestion. Love to hear what you think of it.
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby diamond » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:04 pm

They're okay & work fine...until the delrin ring wears & becomes loose inside the tube, then it tends to whirl around & around on your slide finger, but I'm sure spare delrin rings are easily available.

Slide On!

Ian.
diamond
Regular

Postby OldWailer » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:30 pm

Thanks for the replies, Jake & Diamond--I went ahead and ordered one yesterday--just gotta give it a try--I'll check back when I've had a chance to try it and give it a bit of a review--in case they are of interest to others. . . Extra rings are available on the site for $2. . .
OldWailer
Regular

Postby Neal » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:54 pm

I have one and can't use it. The metal is too light, and the tone produced isn't very good. If you're playing electric, I think you may be ok, but acoustically they're not very good.
Neal
Regular

Postby OldWailer » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:17 pm

Well, I got the slide a couple of days ago, and I've given it as much try-out as I'm going to. It is a very clever innovation--and it might work for some players--but not for me. The metal is way too thin for me--I only play acoustic--and I found it didn't work well at all on the pinkie, which is the only way I've ever played slide. You can put it on the pinkie--but when you go to use the pinkie for non-slide stuff--like a stretch out to a G box chord--the edge of the slide will follow the finger and clank on the strings or the fingerboard.

I tried diligently to adapt to ring-finger playing--but the effort of trying to operate the slide wasn't really worth it when the tone of the thin metal was so sub-standard. I have just gone back to my old 30-year old hunk of brass--the best slide I ever had.

I would still probably buy another one if they made them about twice as thick--not so much to use as a convertible slide, but just because they are really comfortable to wear with the open back. Maybe I'll try to make a thick one with a piece of thick brass pipe--just cut the back out, and forget about the slip-ring and all. . .
OldWailer
Regular

Postby Disciple » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:24 pm

It's rare that a re-invention of something so basic and timeless truly is an improvement. The concept looks great, but in use it's no surprise there are limitations.

We all use pretty simple and ordinary tubes of some sort, it's no coincidence. It's because they work well. Even the highly reputed Corcidin bottle is less than common, I suspect due to a sloppy fit that doesn't really appeal to most.

Of the few slides I have and in my limited experience as a player I still fall back to the same glass tube because of the way it fits first. I believe that is what allows playing to the best of my ability. Then sound which we all know from hundreds of discussions here is really hard to differentiate among typical common slides.
Disciple
Regular

Postby OldWailer » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:25 am

It's rare that a re-invention of something so basic and timeless truly is an improvement. The concept looks great, but in use it's no surprise there are limitations.

You make some good points, Disciple--but I'm always going to try out a new idea now and then--after all--somebody probably said about the same thing about the candle and the light bulb. . . 8)
OldWailer
Regular

Postby Disciple » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:58 am

Agreed, I saw that slide a few years ago and was very tempted. I think the only reason I held off was my level of playing doesn't really justify such a device. :mrgreen:

On the plus side that slide would definitely allow for some things that would be impossible with traditional tubes. Again stuff that would be outside my skills. :blink:

I think a similar thing would be the creation of a clip that mounts conveniently and that would hold reliably your tube. If it was just the right tension you could get your finger in and back to playing pretty quickly or drop the tube off there. That would have it's limits also but might at least get you playing those complex things that keeping the slide on prevents. :idea:

There is also a small ring like slide that only covers to your first knuckle, tone would probably weak on that but it would also allow the transition from fretting to sliding in ways that regular slides don't. :?:
Disciple
Regular

Postby The Breeze » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:03 pm

The sounds of instruments are created as much by their limitations as they are by their strengths. If you want to create a slide that sounds as though you're not playing with a slide... It's because you can't play those licks cleanly with a slide that makes the difference. So I would rather work with those limitations because I think innovations like this will only make the sound more bland, (much like my playing :D ).
The Breeze
Regular

Postby OldWailer » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:53 am

The sounds of instruments are created as much by their limitations as they are by their strengths. If you want to create a slide that sounds as though you're not playing with a slide... It's because you can't play those licks cleanly with a slide that makes the difference.

If I wanted to create a sound that sounds as if I wasn't using a slide, I think I'd just not use a slide! What I like to do is sound like I'm playing regular--in standard tuning and get occasional riffs with the slide--that sound like a slide. The huge benefit of playing like this is that I don't have to re-tune all the time or even change guitars--I just miss that little finger sometimes when I'm playing regular.

Why would anybody want to sound like they're not playing with a slide when they are? I play slide because I love the sound of a slide. Sorry, I just don't get that--maybe I'm just having a dense day. . .
OldWailer
Regular

Postby Disciple » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:07 pm

For my part I get exactly what you want, I think about it the same way. You obviously want to play your usual things using 4 fingers but with an occasional accent with a slide. I'm not sure how the idea of sound came into it other than that a small thin slide may have a weak tone.
Disciple
Regular

Postby Disciple » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:18 pm

Hey Old Wailer, try the link for another idea;

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/slides/p ... uitar-ring

Or search Google Images for Guitar Slide Rings to see dozens of ideas and products that try to deal with this.
Disciple
Regular

Postby OldWailer » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:25 pm

Thanks Disciple--I have just ordered one of the Peaceland rings--I'm just hoping they are heavy enough to do the job--but they look very good.

I sent my Axys slide back to Rick Shubb--he was very understanding and quick to respond to what I wanted--and he gave me a full refund with no questions asked when he got it back. Just saying--he is good to do business with, if you ever want to try one of these out--they would probably work well for other players--just not for me. . .
OldWailer
Regular

Postby OldWailer » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:07 am

Quick update--in case anybody cares--I got my Peaceland slide a few days ago. It's very good--surprising to get so much sustain and sweet tone from such a small hunk of brass. For open tunings and big bass string slides--I'll definitely be staying with my old standby slide--but for the standard tuning stuff where I just want a touch of slide here and there to spice things up, this is my new tool.

I played for a while with my old brass slide on the pinky and the Peaceland on my ring finger--so I could change back and forth very quickly--the only real difference I could hear was that I was getting just a bit more volume and perhaps a bit more sustain from the old brass slide. If you really need the extra finger for something--it really works nicely.

One caution--if you get one--measure very carefully your ring size (directions on the site) for the part of your finger you intend to wear it on. I thought I'd want to wear it on my pinkie--like a regular ring--but it turns out that it works much better on the middle bone of the finger--so I ended up with a ring that works well on my ring finger middle joint. I ordered another one today--so I should have one soon that will fit correctly on my pinkie--where God intended slides to be. There are some little pads packed with the ring--so it is easy to size it down a size or so--but you'd want the size to be pretty close. . .
OldWailer
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar