DeArmond Ashbory Bass

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

DeArmond Ashbory Bass

Postby kwill » Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:44 pm

I picked up one of these little guys to give to my son, but after having it here for a few hours I'm not sure I want to give it up! It's a great little, and I mean little, bass. 18" fretless scale with silicone rubber strings that sounds like a monster. It really sounds more like an upright bass than an electric. I think that it weighs in at less than 2lbs. I haven't played bass in over 30 years but this thing is a blast and might convice me to take it up again. And, I paid less than $300 including gig bag, shipping and an extra set of strings. There's some great information and sound bytes here: http://www.largesound.com/, which is where I bought the little beast. I doubt that I'll get to hold on to it past this weekend, but if I do I'll post some more feedback after playing with it a bit more.
kwill
Contributor
Contributor

RE: DeArmond Ashbory Bass

Postby barbequebob » Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:51 pm

Fretless electric basses take on an amzingly different tonality than one with a fret. If you get a chance to do an A/B test of a regular Fender Precision and a Fretless Pecision, you'll this difference too. The fretless version is very popular among electric jazz bass players for this.
barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:03 pm

Like I said...LARRY TAYLOR...king of the fretless electric bass-

[link:www.bigroadblues.com/dcforum/DCForumID36/4.html|Essential Blues Bass]

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby littleboyblue » Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:53 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jan-23-04 AT 02:07 PM (EST)]We're coming tonight, better have it ready (to play that is, I really want to hear this thing first hand) :) Your son's pretty convinced he won't be able to pry it out of your fingers though! (I wonder why??) It would help my guitar and harmonica playing if he had a better bass ya know wink wink nudge nudge. Haha yeah right, it's gonbna take MORE THAN THAT to make me good. See ya tonight.
littleboyblue
Regular

Postby notsonhouse » Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:55 pm

Those little basses are a ton of fun for the size. I played one in the shop before, but my fingers just couldn't cope with the size. Great tone though out of something so small. Wish I could've adjusted to the thing, would have made for a conversation piece at gigs.
notsonhouse
Regular

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom