Guitar player cross-training

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Guitar player cross-training

Postby bloozegit » Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:53 am

Ok as one of those who (inadvertently) spawned off this section I shall make one of the first few posts...

I'm a guitar player looking to play some bass and I'd like to seek your opinions on how to go about learning it. I believe that apart from just learning the notes there's a lot more to it esp. when playing in a band.

As far as possible I avoid playing bass like I would guitar eg. play less notes, concentrate on the groove etc. Can anyone who's been down this road share some tips and experiences?
bloozegit
Regular

RE: Guitar player cross-training

Postby jellyroll baker » Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:48 am

The few times I've attempted bass, I've found that the easiest thing to do is play arpeggios. Visualise the relevant guitar chord (in as many fingerings as possible) on the neck and play the notes from it, trying to give it a bit of groove. Mind you, this lead to following the groove established by the rest of the band which is the opposite of what the bass player should be doing, but I'm sure that a little practise will make it second nature.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ideot » Sat Dec 13, 2003 9:47 pm

what helps me a lot is to just apply the scale "boxes" I learned on guitar, just use the top four strings. beware of the ones where the tonic note is on a string you don't have though. I started out playing bass, then picked up guitar, and have noticed that my guitar playing makes my bass playing a lot better.
ideot
Regular

Postby old mojo » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:40 pm

A good bass player is a bridge builder. On one shoreline is the kick drum. On the other is the lead. The downbeat notes have to be rock solid and absolutely in synch with the kick drum. What you put in between those should complement the lead, adding flavor and color, and bring the rythym and the lead together into a whole solid flow.
Easier said than done, but listenin' to what both the drummer and the lead are doin', and workin' in between is a start.

I'm bettin' heaven has a helluva band.
old mojo
Regular

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom