Nylon on Nylon Core strings

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Nylon on Nylon Core strings

Postby costa » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:14 pm

I know there aren't a lot of upright bass players here, but can anyone tell me if they've ever tried or heard the Innovation Rock-a-Billy strings? They are, according to Lemur Music, "black nylon tape windings over a nylon core that produce that 'real rocking' sound."
Apparently, again according to Lemur, these are better than Gut strings in that they are more consistent in different temperatures and humidity levels. I play a whole lot of outdoor gigs in the summer and I have encountered tuning problems when the humidity is way up, but nothing major...
There is supposedly also a little less tension…
The set is only 119$, which is about what I paid for the plain gut A and E I ordered...so it may save me money in the future.
Basically I want a second, and impartial, opinion. NSH, BBQBob, anyone?

Costa

That's right, sufferin'; just like you're sufferin'. Sufferin' Mind. Here we go now.
costa
Regular

RE: Nylon on Nylon Core strings

Postby barbequebob » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:55 am

Now I'm not a bass player, certainly not a doghouse bass player, but I do remember hearing a standup bass player I used who told me he a sort of blend, but I think (I may be mistaken about this) that it was a blend of gut, steel and/or nylon and I remember being fooled by it, as I thought it sounded like gut strings, which to my ears, has a very distinctive tone and feel. This may be that, but honestly, I can't swear by it.
barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby blueswriter » Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:37 am

I can't answer this either, Costa, but a suggestion might be to see if the company is willing to offer you some unsolicited recommendations from players who've used the strings, or a short list of players you might be able to contact. And while I know $119.00 isn't easy to come by, it's cheap in the long run to answer the question for yourself without any reservations or relying on what others say.

Just my .02 cents worth of bullflop...

BW
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby notsonhouse » Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:51 pm

Sorry, haven't used them either, sound interesting though. Let us know how they work out if you buy a set.
notsonhouse
Regular

Postby thinelinebob » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:37 pm

Just wondering, Did you ever try the Inovation Nylon Strings?
I play upright some, but my main instrument is Stingray bass or an old Fender Jazz. I think my Kay upright has Corelli 370's on it according to the guy I bought it from. They are at least 7 or 8 years old, possibly older, they were on it when I bought the bass in '97.
Bob Gollihur's site has a good selection & info about upright bass.
(I have no connection with upright bob's business)
thinelinebob
Regular

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom