Electric Bass Guitar

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Electric Bass Guitar

Postby thinelinebob » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:04 pm

Just wondering. What equipment (bass & amp) do you other blues bass players use? I'll start with what I use. Fender 1996 Relic Jazz Bass, 1978 Musicman Stingray, 1950 Kay M-1 Upright Bass. I'm a 4 string player only. Ampeg B100R single 15 combo amp or Alembic F1X Preamp & poweramp with Aguilar GS410 Speaker Cabinet.
Anyone else?
thinelinebob
Regular

RE: Electric Bass Guitar

Postby richard » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:59 am

i don't play a lot of blues bass now, but still have my gear -
either my Valley Arts Precision copy, or acoustic / electric bass through my Marshall basstate 150 w combo. A very heavy amp.
i could usually get some pretty warm sounds out of this gear, and could get a bit of crunch out of the amp as well.

Richard
richard
Regular

Postby old mojo » Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:54 am

100% stock MIM P-bass thru a Crate BX-160 with a JBL 15. Lots of very clean bottom. Also have a Guild EB-30 acoustic with a Fishman that I play thru a Pignose Bass amp w/ battery power for small jams where 'lectric ain't there.

I'm bettin' heaven has a helluva band.
old mojo
Regular

Postby beckerbass » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:40 am

Picked up a 1974 ash Fender P bass a few years back. has a nice vintage sound with some round wound strings. My main giggin rig is a Lakland 5 string and Eden wt550 head with an Eden 2x10 cabinet. just about any tone I want is in there. I need the versitility because we venture into Jazz and a little funk in my blues band.
beckerbass
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Fri May 06, 2005 9:15 pm

I got a Squire Precision a couple of years ago to learn how to play. My son took it and neglected it. The band asked if I'd try bass so I got it back, straightened the neck out. That was easy and last night was my first on bass with the band and they loved it. When I bought the Precision I ordered a new pickup, pots, capaciter, jack plug for it. The capaciter my friend wired in was a .01 or something like that. It made this bass go deep. I play in a whole step drop tuning and I enjoy it. Maybe the bass will fall apart in time and if it does then I'll get a Mexican Precision. I run it thru a Peavey TNT115. I've been with this amp for years. Been drug around to rock gigs and concerts and has never failed. I am thinking of going lighter because this Peavey is a tank.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby wholelottabass » Tue May 10, 2005 9:19 pm

What I have is a 70s P-bass copy from a japanese noname brand. It says "Sunrise ELECTRIC BASS" on the headstock.The missing frets and fret markers make it quite difficult to play this bass, but the dead-on vintage P-bass sound is worth the hassle.I have tested a few dozen new and used Fenders before I got this cheapo which just hits the desired sound perfectly.On gigs and for band practice I play it through a Laney B1-Head and two old Marshall guitar boxes.The stock speakers have been replaced with NOS 12" E-Voice speakers who have 8ohms and 150watts each.I don`t use any stompboxes with my bass, just instrument-cable-amp does it for me.
wholelottabass
Regular

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom