Essential Blues Bass

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

RE: Essential Blues Bass

Postby barbequebob » Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:17 pm

Exactly!!!! From a bandleader's standpoint, bass players who need to constantly be "lead" bass players are usually groove challenged and often fired, but guys who keep the groove happening without stepping all over everything are ALWAYS in constant demand.
barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jellyroll baker » Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:32 am

>guys who keep the groove
>happening without stepping all over everything are ALWAYS in
>constant demand.

I'd say that this applies to all musicians, whether bass players, singers, guitarists (ESPECIALLY guitarists) or even (sorry Bob!) harp players.

Playing in a band is a co-operative effort where everyone is working together and the people who forget this mess up the groove for everyone.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby barbequebob » Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:35 pm

Amen to that, Mr. Jelly Roll!!! I couldn't agreee more!!
barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Essential Blues Bass- Back to t

Postby jp » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:27 pm

-essential BB..The Chess LP with Muddy,Willie Dixon and Buddy Guy..where they are all unplugged (up)..has some of the finest BB ever..actually some of the finest bass playing period..hope you have a good stereo though, as WD is pretty low in the mix..but if you want to hear what everybody is always yapping about- how BB should be felt, not neccessarily heard..this would be the disk.

also, the work of Jerome Arnold on the first Butterfield disk..Sam Lay and Jerome, what a pocket, the hard clang swing of Sam and the less is mo' pocket of Big J..

I don't want to, but maybe I 'll weigh in on the fusion thing...a lot of it has to do with slumming bassists who can't get gigs (umm, seen a lot of fusion gigs lately, bluesboys?)...the ol' "I can play that blueshit" thang..it's been going on for years here in chicago..and it has really changed things..almost to the point where all that awful crappy out of groove horsmanure (did I mention i don't like it much?) way of playing "blues" (and i am NOT a purist btw) as a fusion exercise in slapped triplets has become the friggin norm. Made me put flatwounds on my Pbass years ago and not look back..
jp
Regular

Postby costa » Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:19 pm

Made me put flatwounds on my Pbass years ago
>and not look back..

...YES!

Costa

Yes, Mr. Sheriff, and that's your wife on the back of my horse.
costa
Regular

Postby seanmack » Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:15 pm

Theres talk on this thread about cramping the music, no matter what the instrument. Any ideas on how to tell a very talented lead guitarist that not every space has to be filled with a frenzied solo, without getting chucked out of the band? We just recorded a few tracks, and the basic grooves are cool, but it feels like their being strangled by the never ending guitar solos..lil' help anyone?
seanmack
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Fri May 13, 2005 10:46 pm

Great thread. I love the part about bass players have 4 strings but two are spares. I have filled in with the band twice and bass and I can hear in my memory that I play to "busy." I took in alot from this thread that I'm gonna take home and work on. Pull out some of them Cd's and listen. The part about a bassist shouldn't be noticed until he stops playing sunk in. Felt not heard. That's gonna stay with me. Thanks.
bigdaddy
Regular

Previous

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom