Want to talk about Dummers?

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Want to talk about Dummers?

Postby thinelinebob » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:24 pm

I play Bass in a 60's R&B/Motown/Oldies/Blues Band. The guitar guy hired this drummer in Feb. & his timing & count is really wearing me out. Intro counts are never the same & tempo speeds up & slows down. He gets it right once in a while, but usually too fast & the dancers that come to see us leave the floor. I can't find the groove if there ain't no pocket. Oh, I've been playing this style of music since it was new music in the 60's. My drum machine plays a better groove than this guy. I beleive in giving anyone a chance, but he's young(29) & doesn't listen very good or just refuses any suggestions. I got socks older than this guy.(I'm 56) He's really a great person to be around but his drumming really stinks. Am I just being impatient about this? It's been almost 6 months. I know I'm not the best bass player around but playing bass, singing & trying to second guess this guy is just plain taking all the fun out of playing what I love doing. Anyone got any suggestions?
Now, I've got that out in the open. I feeling better already.
Bobby the bass player.
thinelinebob
Regular

RE: Want to talk about Dummers?

Postby nizer » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:35 pm

>He's really a great person to be around but his
>drumming really stinks. Am I just being impatient about
>this?

No, I think you're right on Bob. It seems that too often the choice is between a great guy who just can't keep up and an a**hole who can really play. In my experience, the key in Blues is that the drummer and bass must be locked in synch. That's a special combination that's very hard to find.

The fact that you choose to play Blues bass and that it matters to you is a credit to you. You deserve a drummer that can partner and play at your level. You understand your role is simple but crucial and you are only one half of a rhythm section. This kind of approach is critical to Blues, Country, Reggae....any roots music. Most bands would kill to have a bass player with your attitude. In Blues, having a good rhythm section can feel like the difference between pedalling uphill and pedalling downhill.

Find the right guy (or girl). You deserve it.
nizer
Regular

Postby thinelinebob » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:17 pm

Well, the rest of the band finally caught up to where I am with the drummer. 3 jobs last week. The problems came out without me making an issue. I hate to stir things up & I didn't have to. I just set back & watched the confrontation happen. Seems the female singer was as fed up as I was. She said he has to go. I just let it work itself out.
2 gigs this week & he's gone. New guy auditions next week. Notice I said auditions. The old drummer was offered the job without hearing him play. That won't happen again. I got my fingers crossed. New drummer has a good reputation & is really choppin at the bit to get started. Oh, he can also sing pretty good. That gives us 5 singers in a 5 piece group. Piano player sings & plays really good guitar also, actually a better guitar player than our guitar player. Since there were not many responses to this post originally, I guess no one has any problems with drummers.;)
Bobby, the almost happy old bass player.
thinelinebob
Regular

Postby chick french » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:36 pm

> Intro counts are never the same <

First mistake. Where is it written that a drummer automatically knows what tempo you want at any given time. Tempo changes with moods. I may be in the mood to lay something back or haul booty. That's why I count off all my tunes regardless of the drummers abilities.
chick french
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:47 am

I play the bass in the band and also write 99 percent of the songs. The drummer looks to me for his orders, really he does. All I say is slow, medium dance or dance. From those three descrpitions he knows where we are going. He also recovers from mistakes very well. He and I are the groove.The piano player/singer cues me in to where he's going and I cue the drummer in, this cueing takes about a second. The guitarist has the best ears in the band and can play thru anything. I have worked with a drummer before we got the new one. The cat had one beat and was always pushin' to leave early or his old lady would kill him. Real irrating when you want to work something out. Alot of young drummers today play to hard and stay with heavy beats, all power and little touch. My drummer is 48 years old and has been drummin' since he was 10, he's been thru the ages and he knows my musical frame of mind. I'm 49, the guitarist is 43 and the singer is 26. The odd thing is the singer grew up on BB King and alot of the 40's swing stuff. The songs he writes for the band have that old BB King feel to them.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby thinelinebob » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:48 pm

Update !
The drummer got in a discussion with guitar player last night.
He wasn't happy either. Didn't like everyone else in group trying to offer suggestions. 1-2-3-4 He decided to bow out gracefully. What a relief. Now, to try out drummers. Actually, I think the guitar guy has already decided on who it will be. I'll just sit back & listen/watch. Let things develop on their own. At my age (56) I am not real long on patience. My wife says she thought I had a lot of patience, but now thinks it is on the edge of stubbornness.
Oh well, some day I'll find some guys that want to play more blues.
Anyone in North Carolina? I would like to play my Upright Kay Bass more than I'm getting to play now. Patience, I know. For now I'll just hang in there with these guys & a girl. She sings really good & looks good also. Good lyric writer.
All for now, later.
Bob, the Old Bass Player
P.S. Anson Funderburk & The Rockets will be here in Aug.
with Sam Meyers.
I really look forward to seeing them. Small club atmosphere.:-)
thinelinebob
Regular

Postby chick french » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:00 pm

You know Sam has to have some sort of surgery soon. They are having a benefit gig for him in Jackson,Ms. This should be a blast.

If you've never seen Anson & Sam live you're in for a treat. Really tight band. For some reason no recordings are able to capture just how good Anson plays live. enjoy `~`
chick french
Regular

Postby thinelinebob » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:22 pm

I've seen Anson & the Rockets before with Sam Meyers. That's why I'm ready to see them again.The club owner said he thought Sam had already had surgery & was recovering well. But I don't know, just second hand information.
Tried out a drummer last night. He sailed right through about half of our song list without not much problems. Finally a pocket to put the groove in!!!!!!! Happy, Happy, Happy. Personality seems to be OK with everyone else, nice guy. He can play really well. Now for some playing time that's all I think its gonna take. He said after we get through the songs & he's comfortable, he'll sing a few himself. He saw my upright in the corner & asked if I played it much. Well, it put a smile on his face. Things are going back on track now. Got a festival a week from saturday to get ready for. Some of North Carolina regional bands, not necessarily blues, but still good music.
Atlanta Tams (60's soul group) is headline group.
Been playing bass since 1965 & still get excited to play good music with people that like each other.
Bob, I'm just an old bass player
thinelinebob
Regular

Postby fat paul » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:42 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Aug-07-05 AT 08:43 AM (EST)]I play bass in the same type of band as you. Our first "drummer" was a total mess, no sense of time or groove. We launched him and found Bobby. Bobby is the very best freind that a bass player could have. He has a wonderfull sense of time and groove and is the only drummer that I have ever met that cares about dynamics. I said all of that to say this, Dont feel stuck with bad personel in a band. If someone is not working out replace them. It is much better for them and the band
fat paul<><
fat paul
Regular

Postby thinelinebob » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:30 pm

It's working out really great with this new drummer. Since of feel is there & timing also. The other drummer is much happier now, he's back doing what he does best, running sound for different bands. He is gonna work for us on the large gigs. He has a lot of Sound Equipment. Played our first job with new drummer on Sat., only 1 hour at a festival at a lake park in North Carolina (Hyco Lake near Roxboro) Hot, Hot, Hot, besides the heat everything went pretty good & great croud response. So, now I guess it's time to get it together for a small restaurant gig next saturday. Life is good.
Bobby, the old bass player.
thinelinebob
Regular

Postby bosco » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:22 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Aug-09-05 AT 08:24 AM (EST)]TLBob-

Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. Yes, lots of discussions about drummers around here, it's just spread out because there is no drumming forum.

He's really a great person to be around but his drumming really stinks.

Yup. We got one of those currently. I could write a damn book on the drummers we've had in the last 5 years-

1. Great drummer. Drunken Crackhead. Couldn't keep a proper drum kit.
2. Good drummer. Irresponsible. Only wants to gig, not practice.
3. Fair drummer. Insecure. Thinks everyone is against him.
4. Great drummer. Mercenary. Tries to downsize band to make more $.
5. Good drummer. Incredible wrists but very weak right foot.
6. Drummer #2, again. Depressed and drinking heavily now.
7. Great drummer. Mercenary. Wants more $ than any local gig pays.
8. Lousy drummer. Dependable, honest, pleasure to be around.

It seems that too often the choice is between a great guy who just can't keep up and an a**hole who can really play.

That sums it all up in one sentence.

Whoever said, "He marches to the beat of a different drum", sure knew what the hell they were talking about!

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom