Sharp on the fourth

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Sharp on the fourth

Postby bigdaddy » Fri May 13, 2005 3:27 pm

Should I sharp the note when I walk up to the fourth. When in the key of G and I go to the fourth, C, should I sharpen the D note in a walkin' bass line? I really need some advice here. It sounds dull sometimes when I hit the D but I wonder if a D# is proper. Gotta be proper. Thanks for help in this. Big Daddy.
bigdaddy
Regular

RE: Sharp on the fourth

Postby old mojo » Fri May 13, 2005 4:29 pm

Try C, D, D#, E
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Fri May 20, 2005 6:48 pm

Tried but didn't care for it. I sharpen the note, it sounds right. I do use a sequence like that when I'm going from the 1 and walk up to the 5. I did last night at practice, I gotta sit down and figure it out tho. Sounds good and we play a couple of covers and one original that requires it. I 've been in a couple of different positions since forming this band. Electric slide, harp and now bass. The slide guitar tened to bore people and get on their nerves a bit. The guitarist I was working with has improved so much and always has been able to play better than me that two guitars was one guitar to many. The keyboard player was holding down the bass but he was hankerin' to play piano only so I drug my bass in and there it is. Bassists. It's actually a fun instrument and the fact that I lay down the groove thus I don't have much room for mistake is cool. Anyway, my blues experience.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby dblues » Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:40 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Sep-25-05 AT 07:44 AM (EST)] oooops! Wrong topic
dblues
Regular

Postby fat paul » Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:47 pm

Try using it as a passing tone. In the right context it sounds kinda cool. Also use it as a cromatic leading tone into the 5 on a turn around ie: G,B,C,C#,D,D#,D.
fat paul <><
fat paul
Regular

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom