Love the Bass

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Love the Bass

Postby lorilu » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:24 pm

It seems like since I started messing with my bass all I hear is bass. Bass really stands out in the blues. I got a chance to hear a really good station yesterday and wish I had Sirrius and a good sound system. Maybe a sub woofer to my little stereo to bring out the bass &drums more. I'm doing basic blues, swing and it's really fun. But my neck and shoulders everything just hurts all the time - on drums too. Like I mentioned in another topic by the time I get through some of the warm-ups and technique stuff, I'm hurting and when it's time to just have fun and do what I feel like I have to stop. Hopefully, that will go away soon. Trying to stretch more and do yoga that helps. Finding and organizing time. I just realized how thankful I am for my life right now. Joy of music and other things. There's been some hard times I sure could use more good ones. Things seem to be coming around. Hallelulia. I don't know how to spell that. Take care. It's Saturday.
lorilu
Regular

RE: Love the Bass

Postby houndog » Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:18 pm

Hello LoriLu,
those basses are heavy beasties, try a broader strap and if it is hurting to play you need to be careful and perhaps slow down.

Anyway I have just found the updated site of Andy Fraser of the greatest Brit blues band Free.

Andy was a teen prodigy and recorded the famous single "Alright Now" when he was 17 years old...!

My bro is a professional bass player, but I think he is getting over it now...;)

http://www.andyfraser.com/

houndog
Regular

Postby badfinger » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:04 pm

For some reason (there is a connection) I just remembered a gig where a chap played a rather nice unaccompanied solo, finger-picked, on an electric bass guitar.

Just thought I'd share the thought.
badfinger
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:01 pm

"All Right Now" is the only Free song I can remember, but I've always liked it a lot!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby lorilu » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:12 am

Alright...now that is so cool. I love Free and have the album with Wishing Well. Ricochet, now that is a good song. "Take off your hat, kick off your shoes I know you aint goin anywhere. Run around the town singin your blues I know you aint goin anywhere..." Wishing Well. Now I will listen for the bass. An excuse to play that album again.
Actually the pain is from injuries in my neck and shoulders. It makes it hard to work and play but trying to find a solution. My fingers are already calloused. I'm sitting when I practice. That's not really good for guitar and bass since you're going to play standing up, huh?
I'm playing for short periods cause I start to hurt but this is love. I don't even know why.
lorilu
Regular

Postby lorilu » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:18 am

And is Paul Rodgers still just one of the supreme vocalists of all time or what. I always forget that they're English. Bad Company is just so American to me for some reason. My favorite singers, Paul Rodgers and Robert Plant, of that time in r&r bands.
lorilu
Regular

Postby lorilu » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:18 am

The Free album is called "Heartbreaker" and I listened to it half the day. So good.
lorilu
Regular

Postby celtic blues » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:30 pm

> I'm sitting
>when I practice. That's not really good for guitar and bass
>since you're going to play standing up, huh?
>I'm playing for short periods cause I start to hurt but this
>is love. I don't even know why.
>

Why don't you sit down when you gig? At least for a while, if it's hurting. Let the singer do all the moving around!
celtic blues
Regular

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom